JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no doubt we will go there as well.
Which means that one more choice or option will be taken away.

Also...things like the OP assume that everyone wants this change , can afford this change...and have this change work for them.
I don't know what it's like in the UK...but I have been in plenty of places here in the US where a cell phone , just doesn't work.
Andy

No cell service where I live. Neighbors and I have landlines. No cable, only copper out here.

Need to drive about seven minutes to get a signal or hike about a mile to the top of the ridge behind the house.

DSL (~2.4 Mbps) works fairly well over the copper line. Sufficient to video conference or stream a movie.

Elon's Starlink system is available. Just received notice my dish is scheduled to ship by month end. Whoo Hoo! Now my wife and I can each watch our own movie(s).

I can't get a landline out at my place, and cellphone service is non-existent. I moved out here for the woods, not the phone service. Though, I wouldn't mind cable internet. This satellite stuff is not the best.

I can't get a landline out at my place, and cellphone service is non-existent. I moved out here for the woods, not the phone service. Though, I wouldn't mind cable internet. This satellite stuff is not the best.
Have you looked to see if you are in Starlink's service/coverage area?

The reviews I have seen from the beta testers are positive.

Elon's plan for world domination.

Screenshot_20210817-093811_Brave.jpg

Plus it will make tracking everyone and monitoring what they are doing much easier...

Anyone else highly disturbed how in the star trek series (TNG and everything after) they could on a whim find out everything about everyone/anyone just by asking the computer. o_O

I know some people have a traditional landline as part of their prepardness. POTS does not require power - tho most modern multipurpose phones may. When you loose power for a while, cell covergage can be lost if your nearby tower wasn't one protected by what ever company.
And if you have digital, like over Comcast, that equipment requires power.

Plan accordingly.

I know some people have a traditional landline as part of their prepardness. POTS does not require power - tho most modern multipurpose phones may. When you loose power for a while, cell covergage can be lost if your nearby tower wasn't one protected by what ever company.

Plan accordingly.
A phone would not be needed if we were to reach that point. survival mode does not need a phone to do what needs to be done. In that situation. survival of the fittest would prevail..

Not an expert but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of all phone service in the western world has been Internet Protocol (IP) based since the early 2,000s.

Y2K was the end of the dedicated line "POTS" systems in America. If you have a phone line to your house it has been IP based for years.

The wireless networks are a separate type of phone service system that is also IP based but runs as a line-of-sight "radio" system, and both of these systems run on IP backbones for long-haul communication. Think of it like this: when you bought a "land line" phone service with your Comcast bundle 15 years ago, it's all IP based!

POTS like we had before Y2K was essentially Analog (tube switching based), versus our current digital (IP based). If you have Internet service, you can have a phone on your wall still. ;)

A phone would not be needed if we were to reach that point. survival mode does not need a phone to do what needs to be done. In that situation. survival of the fittest would prevail..
I am not saying WROL or TEOCAWKI.

Say there is an earthquake in the cascades. you may find yourself trapped in Seattle. A POTS phone might let you notifiy family you are alive.

A part of my plan is to notify family on the otherside of the country if something happens - I may have to communicate to my brother who lives in the shadow of Mt Rainer via family in the Windy City.

I am not saying WROL or TEOCAWKI.

Say there is an earthquake in the cascades. you may find yourself trapped in Seattle. A POTS phone might let you notifiy family you are alive.

A part of my plan is to notify family on the otherside of the country if something happens - I may have to communicate to my brother who lives in the shadow of Mt Rainer via family in the Windy City.
Well in that case I am still covered, the only person that I need to communicate with is my son and he is almost always with me except when he is at his daycare and if need be I can trek to where it is to get him. Other then that I have no need to communicate with anyone if something like that were to happen..
I once trudged thru the snow for several miles to get him when there was an emergency and I could not get to him another way, and yes I had to trounce several people to so it, but oh well. family first.

Last Edited:
Not an expert but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of all phone service in the western world has been Internet Protocol (IP) based since the early 2,000s.

Y2K was the end of the dedicated line "POTS" systems in America. If you have a phone line to your house it has been IP based for years.

The wireless networks are a separate type of phone service system that is also IP based but runs as a line-of-sight "radio" system, and both of these systems run on IP backbones for long-haul communication. Think of it like this: when you bought a "land line" phone service with your Comcast bundle 15 years ago, it's all IP based!

POTS like we had before Y2K was essentially Analog (tube switching based), versus our current digital (IP based). If you have Internet service, you can have a phone on your wall still. ;)
I have POTS, through centurylink. Installed in 2010, no VOIP for me. So there are still some out there.

On a separate note, I worked on telephone cables and remote terminal sites all over the US which paid for my lavish lifestyle for over 30 years.

The same as @salmonriverjohn, we were Gypsies in the same business that never met until after I retired. RIP brother, we'll finally get to fish together when I get up (or down) there. ;)

Plan accordingly.
I know what you meant, however POTS lines require power. Throw a meter on one and it's at 48v. CO (Central office) switching locations are relay racks and batteries. Really big batteries the size of fish tanks all looped together by massive buss bars.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top