JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have zero experience with sat phones nor PLB's , so no opinion as to specifics recommendation.

I'd figure a PLB (your other thread) would be a farbetter option, simply because they are passive, or can be set to such, is my understanding.

Whereas a sat phone you would have to be conscious to use, and it be undamaged.

A passive PLB set to broadcast your track every so many hours would do just that. Injured or not. If it were damaged in whatever calamity took place, family/SAR would have your prior track(s) to go on.

A SAT phone would be a better option, I figure, for folks headed "way out there" for extended periods of time. To keep in touch with family. Research folks, isolated homesteaders, bush pilots and such. Course HAM might be an option as well in certain of those circumstances, again beyond my personal experience.

My knowledge is second hand.
I have friends that for years have used Spot and have been satisfied. Not voice just 2 way text. They spend A LOT of time traveling and exploring off grid and had used a sat phone prior to moving over to Spot. Spot

We had GlobalStar for a spell for both preparedness purposes and how remote we were back in the day. I wouldn't recommend it because their service had issues about the time we sold off the equipment. I've read, though cannot confirm, they've addressed these issues and it is no longer the case. Still, if I were to get back into sat phones, it would almost certainly be Iridium.

I have used the Iridium phones in South America when I did some work for the BBC. They did fine for what they needed to do. It's not like using your iPhone X anytime you want, weather, and time of day for where the satellites are will dictate your calling. Never used one for data only for a voice to get parts we needed to be flown in etc. Ok and call the wife to let her know the Bolivian drug lords did not get me yet.

I had this question specifically for the PNW, as my experience with sat phones in Asia was poor. I've tried various forums and sites and not received much useful information. I think there is a void of experience using them in this region, at least on land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top