JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to copy and paste text from websites that Firefox won't allow copy and paste from. I know how to extract from the page source on protected pages but that's useless on Flash at least to my knowledge.

Here is a Webpage for an example. I want to copy text but I don't know how. Strangely I can print this but not copy and paste into a text editor.

Non-evaluated Text Entry

Thanks in advance.

Very interesting question:
Your answer is

1. Open the website that you want to copy text from.

2. Click and drag on a text area to verify that it's not selectable. If you are unable to highlight the text with your cursor, the designer has disallowed text copying.

3.Take a screen shot of the first page that you would like to copy text from.

4.Open the file in an image editor and trim out any unwanted areas of text. Save the updated file. If the image is clear of excess text, skip this step.

5. Go to one of the websites that offer free online OCR (optical character recognition) tools. Such a website is free-ocr.com. Or use your own OCR program to parse the text if you have one. If you use your OCR software adjust the following steps accordingly.

6. Upload your image and click "Continue." The optical text recognition program will process your image and extract the text.

7. Select the text that is shown in the box. Right-click and choose "Copy." You are now able to paste the text into other programs or text editors.

The best solution I have come up with so far.

Last Edited:
I already have Omnipage 18 so I am well versed in OCR but it's not worth the time on anything less than a full page of text. I'm trying to go a quicker route if possible. I tried the webpage to PDF route also and that got me nowhere either. Drew's idea of a Flash decompiler is where I'm headed next. I just want to make this simpler than retyping what I should be able to cut and paste.

Thanks and keep those ideas and suggestions coming.

I tried Drew's methods, They yielded less results that my method did. Granter i did only about 6 test, but the results were no joy.
IF I am still awake later i will come back and see if can work another method.

I tried Drew's methods, They yielded less results that my method did. Granter i did only about 6 test, but the results were no joy.
IF I am still awake later i will come back and see if can work another method.

I wasn't sure they would. I hate flash with a passion. There a few compelling reasons to use it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top