JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buying a gun a gun from an FFL dealer is more complicated than buying, say, a bag of chips at Fred Meyer. Gun stores and their employees vary in quality as to knowledge (and honesty). Best to ask questions.

Buying a gun a gun from an FFL dealer is more complicated than buying, say, a bag of chips at Fred Meyer. Gun stores and their employees vary in quality as to knowledge (and honesty). Best to ask questions.
IDK, man... it's pretty easy for me to choose a gun but have you SEEN how many flavors of Doritos there are now??

200.gif

I went to pick up a gun i was approved for weeks ago and the people at the store said I couldn't pick it up and it had been quarantined by the atf.
Was the gun brand new? Or was it a private party transfer?
My thoughts for them to "quarantine" a firearm, might be that it was discovered stolen. Or reported to have been used in a crime. That might be a reason why you were not allowed to take possession, after you passed a background check. But that is just a guess, from a random dude, on the internet.

The Oregon State Police Firearms Instant Check System (FICS) is the state,
what i would ask rather saucy would be,
since when does ATF do Oregon background checks would be my first question,
now if said Gun popped up as stolen or such i could understand the ATF getting involved ;)

If the serial number has a possible stolen hit, OSP would not have "Approved" then "Quarantined" the transaction. ATF would only be involved if the purchaser or the dealer is under investigation for some reason.

We need more of the story that we obviously do not have at this time.

Notwithstanding the massive amounts of savant members here, before asking them, especially offering almost no useable info, I personally could not have walked away without asking a slew of questions or asking to see some sort of written related fodder from the store manager first.
they were closing and i think they just wanted me too leave.

If the serial number has a possible stolen hit, OSP would not have "Approved" then "Quarantined" the transaction. ATF would only be involved if the purchaser or the dealer is under investigation for some reason.

We need more of the story that we obviously do not have at this time.
its a brand new lower from sportsmans

So have you paid for any of this? The gun? The BGC itself? If so I'd start demanding answers or a refund. Sorry to hear you're dealing with this

I went to pick up a gun i was approved for weeks ago and the people at the store said I couldn't pick it up and it had been quarantined by the atf.
Without additional info who knows. "Qurantining" a firearm is certainly not a "thing". If that is indeed what the FFL told you then they've been eating too many "grandma's special brownies". If it already received a BGC approval then they have no legitimate cause to deny the pickup... unless you've given them one.

Yesterday, Dec. 23, the store called and said they had been cleared to release the gun. The caller from the store said they would "hold it until Dec. 31." A statement which inspires a lot of curiosity in me.
That just sounds like a store determination trying to prompt you to come in before years end so they can neatly clear their books for year end reports.

More a bluff since they really have zero recourse to withhold it. Unless of course there is something on your paperwork or a posted notice to customers informing them of a pickup window after purchase that is shorter than what the alphabet allows (30 days). If that were the case though then they should be straightforward about their policy and any potential repercussions. IE., restocking or storage fees.

"By the 31st" seems rather arbitrary though and sounds more like just wanting to tidy their bookkeeping.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top