JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Can he go shooting:

• Yes Because: clarify with response below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No because ; clarify with response below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Assault 4 is what I meant.. Waited too long to fix the title..

Not meant to be taken as legal advice...

I'm legal, no record, CHL carrier etc... This isn't for me.

Here is the info:

Young man who is a dear friend of mine for the last year and a half whom I've invested a LOT of time into was handed an ASSAULT 4 for grabbing his girlfriend at the time by the throat.

October 2012 was when it happened.

According to oregon law he would be prevented from buying/selling firearms for a 4 year period. I've read the ORS and I can't figure out of it bars possession (using mine), or if he had one beforehand if he could use it.

Currently he owns NO firearms.

Without making a judge of character and going by ORS can he go shooting with me?

He has spoken with city, county and state police and has gotten mixed answers. As of recent he called me today to tell me that somebody at OSP said he could go shooting/hunting he just cannot buy/sell.

What's your take?
Sorry I would pull up the ORS but I'm on my phone and wife is on computer right now.

Last Edited:
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.470

http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-in-oregon/

The above^^^^ is how I interpret it as well.

And the below states that under federal law they (firearms) cannot be removed if they are already owned.

http://smartgunlaws.org/federal-law-on-domestic-violence-firearms/

So as long as oregon doesn't consider a transfer between two people for shooting a legal transfer of ownership like I-594 it appears he could go shooting or use one of my rifles for hunting.

Last Edited:
I understand the goal is to definitively establish if he is legal to go, But my first thought is under what circumstances would it ever become an issue? I mean it seems to me the likelihood of it ever becoming a problem is seriously remote. Your guns in your possession, someone else just happens to be along to enjoy the day. I cant even imagine a set of circumstances where they would check the legal status of someone who is not in possession of the firearm. I mean if by some crazy chance the cops come along and want to verify something (I am not even sure what) I would think the first question would be "who's owns these guns" when you answer me what could they possible infer with the kid with you? I mean even someone who is not allowed to own guns is not restricted from being in the vicinity of guns? I know that does not help, but personally if I felt good about the kid and knew he was not a convicted felon or other flat out prohibited person (and it does not sound like he is, even by Oregon law) Id take him shooting and not think twice about it. The law says he cant buy one, So dont sell him one. Go shoot and have fun would be my approach

Yeah, I agree IronMonster.

My hesitation was/and/is the same as if I had a felon with me. Have a dear friend who got nailed 25+ years ago for pot and I can't have an uncontrolled firearm around when he is.

So yeah one part of me says go!, the other part says: make damn sure he can handle one.

Last Edited:
Tell your friend with the 25 yr old pot arrest to go get his firearms rights back,it's really not that hard,especially if he has no other arrests after that old one.
Yeah, I agree IronMonster.

My hesitation was/and/is the same as if I had a felon with me. Have a dear friend who got nailed 25+ years ago for pot and I can't have an uncontrolled forearm around when he is.

So yeah one part of me says go!, the other part says: make damn sure he can handle one.
ith t

Misdemeanor? Absolutely he can go shooting and even have his own guns He Can't buy his own new gun any longer with a assault Misdemeanor on his record. When the 4473 is called in he will get a fail and cops now have to come out and investigate every time. It's another form of gun control and back door right stripping.

A person can end up with a assault charge from yelling at a barking dog these days.

And for clarity, He has a Assault 4 charge not a Misdemeanor 4, Yes?

I'm so....so sick of it.

Oops.

Misdemeanor? Absolutely he can go shooting and even have his own guns He Can't buy his own new gun any longer with a assault Misdemeanor on his record. When the 4473 is called in he will get a fail and cops now have to come out and investigate every time. It's another form of gun control and back door right stripping.

A person can end up with a assault charge from yelling at a barking dog these days.

And for clarity, He has a Assault 4 charge not a Misdemeanor 4, Yes?

I'm so....so sick of it.

Assault 4

I'm terrible with these things. Yeah. You are right.

The reason is because it's the odd one in all of the assault charges.

I also read somewhere that on the FED level there is no end time for buying firearms like the state has and 4 years.

I find it kinda funny know one has asked if he quite abusing women yet.
I could care less the circumstances,no need to choke a woman.
just saying.

I find it kinda funny know one has asked if he quite abusing women yet.
I could care less the circumstances,no need to choke a woman.
just saying.
Since you don't personally know me I'll forgive the information that you don't know.

To enlighten you I don't deal lightly with abusers. The incident happened prior to us knowing each other and since then I've seen a complete transformation in his life.

So to answer your question with something other than a question I'll say this: I wouldn't be asking if he was an abusive person. Infact I would have no dealings with him if that were the case.

But ya see, the question you asked "is he done" is irrelevant because I never asked "should be be allowed to if he still abuses".

I get a little personal on this subject, so that's why I forgive the question since you don't know my internal workings.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
;););););)

Oops.

Assault 4

I'm terrible with these things. Yeah. You are right.

The reason is because it's the odd one in all of the assault charges.

I also read somewhere that on the FED level there is no end time for buying firearms like the state has and 4 years.

Your last sentence is almost true,if you get a expungment,pardon or the easiest one,your conviction set aside you can purchase guns and even get a CPL. If you look on the form for buying guns I think it's the 4474 form one of the question

Your last sentence is almost true,if you get a expungment,pardon or the easiest one,your conviction set aside you can purchase guns and even get a CPL. If you look on the form for buying guns I think it's the 4474 form one of the question

Thanks. I looked on the 4473 and I think I'll print it out and read it over and over for what it says on 11.i

Also to note: Oregon law prohibits buying/selling within 4 years.

The question though is can they possess before the 4 years are up. 18 months before he can purchase/sell etc FFL OR private party. So far it appears that he can, according to how I interpret it and a couple others have alluded to.

Last Edited:
Your buddy should speak with an attorney in the state of conviction. The event you describe may have resolved as an Assault in the 4th degree, which is a gross misdemeanor (here in Washington at least). However, what you describe may have been charged with a domestic violence aggravator. That would lead to a restriction in his ability to possess firearms. Better safe than a felon.

Oregon.

Assault 4 only, no extras.

It was a felony but that was dropped to the misdemeanor after he served 2 years probation with no altercations with the law etc.

That leads me toward just being a buying/selling in Oregon and no CHL for 4 years.

166.470(1)(g) etc... :)

Does he have any current probation? If not and it is listed on his criminal history as a misdemeanor he should be good to go for shooting with you. If he is on probation or its listed as a felony then it is no go. Only way to find out how its listed is to pay for a background check..

Thanks DieselScout, no probation. All is satisfied.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top