JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always thought the cutout on the side of the bolt was so that it would trip the dust cover "switch" to open the cover when the bolt cycled if the dust cover was closed/locked... o_O I made that leap of deduction because of the rounded ends on both sides of the cutout, rather than vertical cuts into the bolt.
I think that was the primary reason for it.

Pretty amazing design (1956) and still viable today.
It's nemesis the AK is crude by comparison.
Both aptly represent their home countries.

Last Edited:
Four of us.

Although I do find it interesting that the forward assist is a feature that may have saved Kyle's life. It is a real-world example of this feature doing exactly what it was supposed to do.
Kind of eye opening, if you ask me.

Better to have it and not need it, than ..........
Except when it comes to things my wife thinks we might need!:p
I've often wondered how far the sound of an AR bolt slamming home carries. :s0093:
*****Warning thread drift****** I personally think metallic sounds carry a long ways and game definitely keys in on it. Sounds like twigs breaking, footsteps and other more muffled or deadened sounds are way less critical.
Last month when clicking the safety off to shoot a deer that was less than 15 yards away, I swore you could have heard the sound in the next county.

I always thought the cutout on the side of the bolt was so that it would trip the dust cover "switch" to open the cover when the bolt cycled if the dust cover was closed/locked... o_O I made that leap of deduction because of the rounded ends on both sides of the cutout, rather than vertical cuts into the bolt.
Inrange TV's interview with Jim Sullivan and Clint Smith mention this. It makes sense, just prior to the AR the grease gun was operated with a finger. Why not put a scallop if you need to press it slightly but not so much that a soldier does not jam a round that dosnt want to go.

I think that was the primary reason for it.

Pretty amazing design (1956) and still viable today.
It's nemesis the AK is crude by comparison.
Both aptly represent their home countries.
Somebody dissing AK's on here?
Forward assist built the Fk in on the rifle that is better. That shoots a better round in a better manner.
And connected solid not tickle fitted together.
AR dick straw tube blowing wads of carbon on the fkn squared off bolt lugs?
Not a fan. Use one if I gotta, but pulling a K, out the mud, knocking the bolt free with a rock and then shooting the ugly thing until the forend catches fire-

Not Possible with an AR, regardless of DI or gas-ran.
Proud American here. AR Fam jams got lotsa real good boys killed.
By AK's that still ran.
Apologize for toe stepping but the AR design is inherently flawed on so many levels.
OG AR-10/15 Did Not HAVE fwd assist. Call that amazing, yeah, a-fkn- mazing it made it from paper (Drawing) to plastic (Production).

FAL is also a far, far better weapon that runs in sand, dust, Riots, Civil disobedience, violently promoting an agenda, etc. as well.

M-3 was a specialty designed only to be an American STEN. .30-06 in pocket for a cocking handle.
Can't let those Brits get cocky, eh? But at least their disposable had a fkn handle gdam attatched to the fkn bolt so a guy can hit it forward like he has been doing on a dirty gun since he started on a .22. While being shot at, possibly even hit. By bullets bigger than .22's and more than 55 grs of them.

What the fk did Stoner learn on? A Drawing Board. Shoulda gone back to it. Again, and Again, until the thing could be used as a weapon of war. As Issued.

good looking rig
That's just the way I found it hidden under an old king size waterbed frame.
His widow was out of town and I was moving everything out of the bedroom to install new carpet.
I called back East where she was visiting relatives to tell her about my discovery and she said Merry Christmas, it's yours if you want it.
It had only ten rounds shot through it, then cleaned and hidden there since 1986.

Last Edited:
*****Warning thread drift****** I personally think metallic sounds carry a long ways and game definitely keys in on it. Sounds like twigs breaking, footsteps and other more muffled or deadened sounds are way less critical.
This checks out. Sound is vibration. Hard/dense objects transmit vibrations/ sound better than soft/less dense objects. Hence why they use foam for soundproofing. So - yes, metal objects do create sound that will travel farther than less dense objects.

I trained very extensively with the M-16. And never was a cycling jam corrected by the forward assist.

However... When being very stealthy, and chambering a round as softly and quietly as possible, sometimes the bolt would not completely go into battery. That's when the forward assist was worth gold. A little push on the forward assist and the bolt would finalize it's intended journey.

Folks say, no other semi has a forward assist. Well, they pretty much all do. It's called the charging handle. If you're hunting and again are trying to chamber a round quietly, and it's reluctant, a little nudge on the charging handle finishes the job. Even the beloved semi-pistols. A bump on the rear of the slide could get a round chambered when you didn't otherwise let it the slide slam forward.

So, I will keep my forward assist. And when I'm sneeking up on Wile E. Coyote, and chamber a round ever so quietly, but it doesn't completely chamber, I'll be happy I can still push on the forward assist.
Id also argue having a round chambered before you step off makes no noise in the field.

That's just the way I found it hidden under an old king size waterbed frame.
His widow was out of town and I was moving everything out of the bedroom to install new carpet.
I called back East where she was visiting relatives to tell her about my discovery, and she said Merry Christmas, it's yours if you want it.
It had only ten rounds shot through it, then cleaned and hidden there since 1986.
If you ever decide to part with it please let me know. Just a young guy that appreciates old cold war guns.

Somebody dissing AK's on here?
Forward assist built the Fk in on the rifle that is better. That shoots a better round in a better manner.
And connected solid not tickle fitted together.
AR dick straw tube blowing wads of carbon on the fkn squared off bolt lugs?
Not a fan. Use one if I gotta, but pulling a K, out the mud, knocking the bolt free with a rock and then shooting the ugly thing until the forend catches fire-

Not Possible with an AR, regardless of DI or gas-ran.
Proud American here. AR Fam jams got lotsa real good boys killed.
By AK's that still ran.
Apologize for toe stepping but the AR design is inherently flawed on so many levels.
OG AR-10/15 Did Not HAVE fwd assist. Call that amazing, yeah, a-fkn- mazing it made it from paper (Drawing) to plastic (Production).

FAL is also a far, far better weapon that runs in sand, dust, Riots, Civil disobedience, violently promoting an agenda, etc. as well.

M-3 was a specialty designed only to be an American STEN. .30-06 in pocket for a cocking handle.
Can't let those Brits get cocky, eh? But at least their disposable had a fkn handle gdam attatched to the fkn bolt so a guy can hit it forward like he has been doing on a dirty gun since he started on a .22. While being shot at, possibly even hit. By bullets bigger than .22's and more than 55 grs of them.

What the fk did Stoner learn on? A Drawing Board. Shoulda gone back to it. Again, and Again, until the thing could be used as a weapon of war. As Issued.
BCA is taking care of you:

I caught this on the Tucker interview.

Pretty sure Stoner is smiling somewhere.

He probably shouldn't have said anything. This might help Gaige in a civil suit -- his argument was that he only pointed his handgun at Kyle while he was operating the bolt because he felt like Kyle was going to shoot him. Well, so it was the forward assist instead. Either way, it may help that putz.

He probably shouldn't have said anything. This might help Gaige in a civil suit -- his argument was that he only pointed his handgun at Kyle while he was operating the bolt because he felt like Kyle was going to shoot him. Well, so it was the forward assist instead. Either way, it may help that putz.
Countersuit - Rittenhouse was only trying to get the rifle into battery because Gage had chased him down the street and threatened him with violence, even producing a weapon with which was capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top