JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I posted this in another thread.."
Advice from a firearms manufacturer.
Buy a Colt AR
Buy a BCM AR
Buy a LMT AR

Buy all 3 if you can swing it over time.
Then, make a hobby of collecting lower receivers of every manufacture.
They are $100ea, and most people can handle buying 1 per month. Look at it as a retirement account. They don't take up a lot of room, and you won't lose money on it.
They are fun to collect and trade.

They used to say the same about full auto's.

There's a difference. Fully automatic firearms that made it into the NFA registry before the cutoff date remain transferable. That is unlikely to be the case with semiautomatic rifles. When the NFA law was passed, they passed it as a tax because they doubted they could ban personal firearm ownership as a regular law. The idea was the right would remain but the tax would make it impractical for the average person. In the 80s, the registry was closed but the items in it remained transferable. Today, we face a much more aggressive approach. Now large segments of the population believe they can ban firearms by class.

Look at the registry CA has for semiautomatic rifles. The firearms in that registry generally are not transferable within the state. The CA model is what the anti-gun crowd wants to impose on the whole country. If you have it, you can keep it; but the item is not transferable and when you die it must be surrendered to the state. If one were to invest in a bunch of AR rifles or AR lower receivers and the law changed to make them contraband or otherwise non-transferable, that individual's investment for legal financial purposes is gone.

A regular person, who is not a dealer, can clean up selling guns during a panic but that's about it.

"Future scalper heads up" Just kidding! I'd like to have a few different lowers to stare at but, my problem would be they would all end up as rifles; next I'd be over at the gun safe forum talking about square footage!
I posted this in another thread.."
Advice from a firearms manufacturer.
Buy a Colt AR
Buy a BCM AR
Buy a LMT AR

Buy all 3 if you can swing it over time.
Then, make a hobby of collecting lower receivers of every manufacture.
They are $100ea, and most people can handle buying 1 per month. Look at it as a retirement account. They don't take up a lot of room, and you won't lose money on it.
They are fun to collect and trade.

I don't think its an investment you'll retire on, but we've all seen AR prices spike twice in the last 6 years. So, I think there is potential to make some money and depending on what you can invest your return maybe pretty good. I cringe at what could happen if Hillary gets elected.

Neither are SKS's, but I wish I had bought a truckload when they were $100.

If we're speaking about investments, there are much better ones than ARs and parts.

I have a known artist oil painting that has increased in value every year by an average of 24 percent. I've had it for 28 years. That's an increase of 412 times its original value. That's quite a bit better gain than any of my firearms over that time.

If I have toilet paper, water, ammo and weapons, I'll soon have all the gold and silver I want. As far as lowers and QR's being an investment, if they are deamed illegal and there is a turn in or go to prison clause, your retirement account is worth exactly, zip.

Even though I advise against buying ARs as an investment, I do encourage their purchase as a fun item. In fact, nothing wrong with a safe full, just don't count on them being your retirement.

Buy low. Sell high.
Don't panic and buy because you fear...
Don't buy at market peak.

Over at CalGuns.net a bunch of ARs posted for more than can be bought new, no takers.

Some dummies say real estate is ALWAYS a good deal. Not ALWAYS true.
Next door neighbor lost a real nice home to forclosure. Over his head, upside down.

Next door neighbor lost a real nice home to forclosure. Over his head, upside down.
Upside down doesn't matter if you don't sell or refinance. Over his head is what got him in trouble, just like my son, who may lose his house. We tried to tell him not to buy his "dream home" and buy something cheaper. He didn't listen and we aren't going to bail him out like my parents did (before they died). From the receipts and bank statements we figure they gave him some $250,000 over 10 years. Sure would have been nice to have some of that to pay for my parents final care and bills! I wouldn't have had to fight the bill collectors that wanted me to pay up.

The only way an AR is an investment is if you use it to procure food when all else has failed. Even then, an AK is a much better investment as far as keeping your *** alive.

What if 3-D printers bring the cost of AR lowers to less than $5? I remember when you couldn't go wrong by buying up Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire rookie cards. After that, Beanie Babies were such a sure fire hit that they couldn't ever possibly go away, not with all the housewives out there buying them(that was an actual quote, circa 1998 by my uncle that has a few thousand "rare" Beanie Babies in his garage.). Even if you bought first edition comic books('40's, '50's & '60's era) 10 years ago you'd have lost money.

Honestly, Winchester's are still a big way to make money. A few originals, though costly, will continue to grow. Right now I truly believe antique Marlins are where the growth is. I personally would diversify with a few mint examples of SAA's, antique S&W's, Marln's, Winchester's & Ruger's. To each their own and I hope you all invest wisely and retire comfortably.

moderately priced mass produced guns are probably not a good investment, seriously overpriced "boutique" guns either.
invest in high end quality guns that are no longer being produced, or very limited production guns from niche makers.
factory made new "collectables" are always a bad idea. Just some marketing guys wet dream. I stay the hell away from "tactical" and "elite" guns, mechanically and technically no different from guns from the same maker that sell for 30% less.

buy pre 64 winchesters, colt s/a revolvers, Holland and Hollands, Parkers, In original unmodified unrestored (unless factory done) condition. Always buy in 80% or better condition.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews