JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mike Connors used to nail dudes at ranges nearing 300 yards every single week with his!

1716561764604.png

About as snubbie as it gets around here is a Smith Model 60 .38. This was purchased with 6" Stainless Smith .357 I'd hoped might shoot better than my Ruger Security Six.

The 6" .357 wasn't allowed to reside here long. The little Model 60 3" taught me again just how accurate a .38 can be.

In addition to becoming a favorite for carry, it has also seen a lot of trail time in the fanny pack while hunting big game (as a finisher or camp-meat getter). It shoots minute-of-cottontail head at 25 yards.

Mannix needed wunna these.:cool:

1716563201896.jpeg

As Bolke pointed out in the video...marksmanship and bullet penetration have been replaced with quantity and bullet expansion.

I'll take bullet penetration over expansion any day. Hunters want penetration to get into the vitals from any angle...the same goes for two legged prey.

You do your job with marksmanship, a well constructed bullet will do its part.

I've mentioned on this forum a few times, and Darryl brought it up as well...very few survive a 22 LR round fired from a rifle.

A great pocket revolver is a S&W 351c 22 magnum. About the same velocity as a 22 LR out of a rifle, and will pentrate a cow skull.

Y'all making me want to go buy another snubbie!

Maybe something along the lines of what "Frank Reagan" carries on Blue Bloods…
View attachment 1886880
Trigger guard reminds me of:

26D60CF0-481B-4D80-B18F-3B2A80E30FB6.jpeg

Can't remember who advised Fleming on what gun bond should have. Elmer Kieth probably? Anyway this was that advisor's own gun and what he recommended. Would be cool but expensive to make an exact clone of it (check out lettering on barrel, and hammer and trigger). I bet there are some attempts made to do this out there somewhere.

Yes but, because of the angle, you are not able to see the entire markings. Here's a better a shot. :s0155:

View attachment 1886872
Well I'll be darned! I didn't know they did that? Thought it would be common knowledge that with only .357 Mag on the gun that it would work for .38 spec too. sorry you had to take another pic. I would have believed you. Mea Culpa.

As we see in striker-fired incidents, anybody can drive an automatic, but not all that well. There is dexterity involved in manual transmission driving and in double-action shooting. There is more thinking involved, more tactile sensation, and more satisfaction when done well.

Final answer.

Oh, the new Kimber K6XS. About $600-something. Not a "real" beauty, but at 15 ounces, will you remember that you are carrying it?

View attachment 1886743
I get your point but I think anyone could pick up a revolver, look through the gap at the rear of the cylinder to see its loaded, point and fire. All with the only instruction being "I saw it on TV". revolvers have the least user controls, they continue to fire no matter how poorly they are gripped, they don't drop magazines, and don't have multiple safeties. DR

My first 357 Snubbie was a 649 2.125". It was a serious handful when shooting 357 ammo, bordering on being painful. It went away in a cash gathering sale without many regrets.
Pictured below is quite likely my favorite handgun. S&W Model 60-15 3" in 357 Magnum.
I don't care what others think about little guns or the "limited" amount of 5 rounds. I'm not a cop, I don't chase crowds and I shoot this gun DA more often than I find myself shooting any other handgun I own. It's been my nearly constant companion since I got it almost 4 years ago. The slightly longer barrel and the adjustable sights are a nice improvement over the 2" guns and makes it a bit more "shootable".
Those grips look more "shootable" than the standard magna stocks my little Model 60 in .357 had. Which I couldn't properly hold onto when fired with .357.

I agree, for personal carry five shots is probably gonna be enough.

From what I gather from pictures on the Internet it seems all barrels start with 38 special markings and if it becomes chambered in 357 mag the barrel also gets marked as such ......
IF....you meant that they start their life as an unmarked barrel.....yeah.

But that being said.....I believe that the cylinders are different between the two calibers.

Though it would/might just be simpler, perhaps......to just make the the cylinders all the same and just ream them out differently (between .38 special and .357 mag).

BUT.....I'd venture to guess that, if it were TRUE? That kind of information would NOT be advertised by the gun manufactures. Rrrrrifght.......potential lawsuits from hobbyist/owners wanting to ream out their .38 special. to make a .357 mag.

As for the frames? I don't know for sure.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads