JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think it is pretty well recognized that near term threats of anti-gun laws are a big boon for guns and ammo sales. I am guessing that is why we didn't get much support from LGSs in the fight to defeat IP43. I would like to recognize Tick Licker Firearms in Salem for being a lone voice among LGSs to be on the record publicly against IP43:
Robert Humelbaugh, a salesman at Tick Licker Firearms in Salem, told KATU the measure would be unenforceable.

"I think they're massively misinformed and they're historically ignorant," he said regarding the proposition's supporters. "It's blatantly anti-constitutional. It goes against every wording of the Second Amendment."

Please let them know you appreciate their stand: <broken link removed>
503-400-1913

If you know of other LGSs who stood against IP43 please share it on this thread.

To the shops who didn't take a public stand against IP43, will you share your reasoning for not doing so? In the future will you support those who support you?

I think you might be a little harsh on the local gun shops. Do they ever get involved in politics? Also, how do you know they weren't involved without asking them? Maybe they were involved and you just didn't know.

I would bet that the example you gave was approached by the media for a comment. He probably was not calling them asking to make a comment. How do I know? Because that is how it works. The reporters don't care about what you have to say unless they call you about a story they are already writing.

I am sure LGSs understood that they would lose a LOT of business, especially in the long term, if 43 had passed. IP 43 was not a slight restriction, it was more or less pretty close to an outright ban, and it would hurt sales and LGS traffic a lot.

The problem with almost any LGS is that they are not a large concern like Walmart and very few are even the size of Dicks. They just don't have the voice that large corps do, so we have to band together and make our voice heard.

I think it is pretty well recognized that near term threats of anti-gun laws are a big boon for guns and ammo sales. I am guessing that is why we didn't get much support from LGSs in the fight to defeat IP43. I would like to recognize Tick Licker Firearms in Salem for being a lone voice among LGSs to be on the record publicly against IP43:
Robert Humelbaugh, a salesman at Tick Licker Firearms in Salem, told KATU the measure would be unenforceable.

"I think they're massively misinformed and they're historically ignorant," he said regarding the proposition's supporters. "It's blatantly anti-constitutional. It goes against every wording of the Second Amendment."

Please let them know you appreciate their stand: <broken link removed>
503-400-1913

If you know of other LGSs who stood against IP43 please share it on this thread.

To the shops who didn't take a public stand against IP43, will you share your reasoning for not doing so? In the future will you support those who support you?
Assuming you watch the news you do realize that Portland can litterally riot and burn things down with virtually no reprocussions, right? Additionally, that loads of Portlanders have no jobs and will sit at a "protest" for days as long as mommy and daddy keep sending checks? If you were a small business owner would you want the media skewing what you said and end up with a bunch of crazy people at your door?

Honestly, I'm not sure whether to be offended (I previously ran an LGS) or to just roll my eyes with a, "what the bubblegum is this guy babbling about?" Why should an LGS get the extra burden of having to do our political legwork? How many people on this forum actually did ANYTHING to fight IP43? They had nothing to lose and still didn't do bubblegum. I know I sound hostile, but you are being pretty heavy handed with the judgemental pendulum.

Here is the thing, does this king of crap increase sales, absolutely; but it's a temporary blip. Once this thing passed thousands of people would have lost their jobs and/or business. The people who own and work at LGSs are gun owners just like you and me. They don't want any new restrictions just like you or I don't.

In another thread someone made the comment you will never see an LGS speak out against background checks.

I asked for an LGS to speak up and prove us wrong, none did.

The truth is its a revenue stream they really needed and will not help abolish. Whether it's an existing law or a new one. If it generates revenue, like gun safe sales, I'm not sure we will hear much from them.

To my knowledge, @LuckySG (Lucky Sporting Goods) was firmly against it.
Correct. I submitted my opposition to the IP43 title by the deadline and made personal donations to organizations that have our interests at heart and will make more in gratitude in the following weeks. I am a tiny spec compared to many gun shops in the area, and I cannot see looking back over the last few months that anyone came to me in a panic to purchase a single item. My customers are rather calm and collected that engage politically with their moral compass.

As much as I would like to participate more in discussion and respond to requests for comments here on NWFA I am working 16 hour days to get legs under this venture, so my screen time has been split on the initiatives and offers/promotions. I cannot imagine any dealer being excited about a loss of liberties just as I am in the camp that since the state mandated background checks for all transfers they should be as inexpensive as possible. MANY stocking dealers have high transfer fees because they don't want to do transfers, they want you to purchase locally. They set the fees high so you think twice about reminding them that some large online sellers are rubbing their nose in it.

Assuming you watch the news you do realize that Portland can litterally riot and burn things down with virtually no reprocussions, right? Additionally, that loads of Portlanders have no jobs and will sit at a "protest" for days as long as mommy and daddy keep sending checks? If you were a small business owner would you want the media skewing what you said and end up with a bunch of crazy people at your door?

Honestly, I'm not sure whether to be offended (I previously ran an LGS) or to just roll my eyes with a, "what the bubblegum is this guy babbling about?" Why should an LGS get the extra burden of having to do our political legwork? How many people on this forum actually did ANYTHING to fight IP43? They had nothing to lose and still didn't do bubblegum. I know I sound hostile, but you are being pretty heavy handed with the judgemental pendulum.

Here is the thing, does this king of crap increase sales, absolutely; but it's a temporary blip. Once this thing passed thousands of people would have lost their jobs and/or business. The people who own and work at LGSs are gun owners just like you and me. They don't want any new restrictions just like you or I don't.
I not sure how I was being too hard on LGSs with my post. I implied that LGSs profit off of threats of gun laws and maybe that's why they seem to be mum on the subject of anti-gun laws. You seem to confirm the profit part with your comments. I appreciate you being open and honest but I hope your sentiments are not shared by a majority of businesses who rely on sales of firearms and ammunition for their income. Many individuals here on this forum including myself made efforts to fight this gun ban petition and I applaud their efforts. I would think that LGSs would be served in the long term by supporting these fights as @LuckySG, Tick Licker Firearms LLC, MKTactical, and maybe others have.

Last Edited:
Correct. I submitted my opposition to the IP43 title by the deadline and made personal donations to organizations that have our interests at heart and will make more in gratitude in the following weeks. I am a tiny spec compared to many gun shops in the area, and I cannot see looking back over the last few months that anyone came to me in a panic to purchase a single item. My customers are rather calm and collected that engage politically with their moral compass.

As much as I would like to participate more in discussion and respond to requests for comments here on NWFA I am working 16 hour days to get legs under this venture, so my screen time has been split on the initiatives and offers/promotions. I cannot imagine any dealer being excited about a loss of liberties just as I am in the camp that since the state mandated background checks for all transfers they should be as inexpensive as possible. MANY stocking dealers have high transfer fees because they don't want to do transfers, they want you to purchase locally. They set the fees high so you think twice about reminding them that some large online sellers are rubbing their nose in it.
Thanks for helping fight this!

I think you might be a little harsh on the local gun shops. Do they ever get involved in politics? Also, how do you know they weren't involved without asking them? Maybe they were involved and you just didn't know.

I would bet that the example you gave was approached by the media for a comment. He probably was not calling them asking to make a comment. How do I know? Because that is how it works. The reporters don't care about what you have to say unless they call you about a story they are already writing.
They should get involved in politics when it deals with their main source of business. Which part of my post do you think was harsh?

Last Edited:
I know personally speaking with the good folk at MKtactical (namely Ryan) they had fliers up about it and had informed me that if it were to pass a good chunk of their business would be out as well as reduced head count/hours at the store front. Thats how I caught wind of IP43 and decided to join in here for news.

I know personally speaking with the good folk at MKtactical (namely Ryan) they had fliers up about it and had informed me that if it were to pass a good chunk of their business would be out as well as reduced head count/hours at the store front. Thats how I caught wind of IP43 and decided to join in here for news.
Excellent! Thank you to MKTactical for the support, I will send them a thank you note: MK Tactical

I not sure how I was being too hard on LGSs with my post. I implied that LGSs profit off of threats of gun laws and maybe that's why they seem to be mum on the subject of anti-gun laws. You seem to confirm the profit part with your comments. I appreciate you being open and honest but I hope your sentiments are not shared by a majority of businesses who rely on sales of firearms and ammunition for their income. Many individuals here on this forum including myself made efforts to fight this gun ban petition and I applaud their efforts. I would think that LGSs would be served in the long term by supporting these fights as @LuckySG, Tick Licker Firearms LLC and maybe others have.
So, your theory is that LGSs secretly support gun control because it increases gun sales for the miniscule time before it puts them out of business? ...Wow. Yep, that's it. LGSs are in league with Bloomberg, Soros, and Mom's Demand Action. :rolleyes:

Which is why I will support you Jeremy. Thank you!!

So, your theory is that LGSs secretly support gun control because it increases gun sales for the miniscule time before it puts them out of business? ...Wow. Yep, that's it. LGSs are in league with Bloomberg, Soros, and Mom's Demand Action. :rolleyes:
I am trying to figure out why many of them don't seem to be actively/publicly fighting the gun bans. I can't tell you their reasoning.

I am trying to figure out why many of them don't seem to be actively/publicly fighting the gun bans. I can't tell you their reasoning.

I'd imagine some silently support the good efforts while others just don't wanna cause waves or to avoid being marked at their store front. Some could also be just there to earn an income and not be too passionate behind the hobby. Some folk just aren't interested in politics period, is my guess.

I talked to the owner of Oregon Arms & Ammunition about it, they do not sell any compliant guns save for a few shotguns and revolvers. They don't do lever guns, bolt actions, etc. They said if IP43 passed they were done, put out of business. They were firmly against it.

LGS.......
Well, some of them, supported the Universal Background Check Laws that passed in WA and OR. Thinking that it would increase their own bottom line.

Rrrright, it was about closing a loophole and safety. #$@^ that B.S.

So anyway......I have no problems supporting internet sellers or big box stores. Then, I'll support some of the LGS. Too bad that it's not always easy to tell the good ones from the bad ones.

Just my $0.02.

Aloha, Mark

I talked to the owner of Oregon Arms & Ammunition about it, they do not sell any compliant guns save for a few shotguns and revolvers. They don't do lever guns, bolt actions, etc. They said if IP43 passed they were done, put out of business. They were firmly against it.

Same here. Matt is/was 100% against it. Along with Threat Dynamics and Mike at MK Tactical.

This is an example of why the LGSs should be more vocal about gun bans. Pushing the lost jobs and damage to the local economics is another reason why these gun bans are bad news. If they are afraid of local recourse by rabid anti-gun types for taking a stand against gun bans, maybe they should join in an association manner like the grocery stores have done. Does anybody know if such an association already exist for LGSs?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top