JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ive never felt any other wheel gun function and feel as smooth as a colt python period.they are hand fitted and very good quality.i think the collectability and reputation is the only thing driving the price.if i found one at around 1000 i'd buy it in a heart beat.you are talking about the cadillac of revolvers, not a 350 dollar taurus.now for you taurus lovers they are fine weapons but you will never see a taurus revolver come close to a python.its like comparing apples and oranges. "i can buy this one for half as much and it works fine" that may be true but the quality and wheel lock up wont even be close.

Hehehe.
Just pull the hammer back and feel the action.
smoooooooth

You can almost hear the Taurus action grinding.

ive never felt any other wheel gun function and feel as smooth as a colt python period.they are hand fitted and very good quality.i think the collectability and reputation is the only thing driving the price.if i found one at around 1000 i'd buy it in a heart beat.you are talking about the cadillac of revolvers, not a 350 dollar taurus.now for you taurus lovers they are fine weapons but you will never see a taurus revolver come close to a python.its like comparing apples and oranges. "i can buy this one for half as much and it works fine" that may be true but the quality and wheel lock up wont even be close.

I have shot a Python quite a bit. Yes it shoots well but I can do better groups with my S&W 686. The smith seems to fit my hand better and the sights line up better. Even the owner of the Python could shoot the Smith better. Yes I think the Python is worth the money but as a shooter I will take a Smith.

I've always wanted one. I had a chance to buy a while back from a coworker. It was blued with the 6" barrel. He wanted $325 for it. I didn't haggle on that one. It turns out it was 2nd year of production. Oh yeah, it's a keeper.

They are the only revolver I have seen that are built like a Swiss watch!

Built like a swiss watch. True. Smooth but delicate. While they are working, there is no arguing, even by a card carrying S&W fan, that they are the smoothest revolver action made. However, if the revolver ever becomes out of timing, which will happen to most any revolver, especially with a steady diet of full house loads (which some of us are masochistic enough to do to ourselves), it damn near needs a swiss watch maker to fix it. The timing of the gun is controlled by a very small pyramid inside the revolver. It is probably a little more than an 1/8th of an inch across. There are six individual surfaces that need to be hand fit. Kind of like chasing your tail. Fit one, then the next. Check timing after each surface is fit. After all six are fit, check if it doesn't work, start at #1 again. The only time I did it, it took several work days (although to be honest, it was on a police positive, not a Python). It is something I will never do again.

As a collectible revolver, there are few finer choices. It is a very well built gun, with incredible attention paid to detail. The nickle plated are gorgeous, and the bluing is so good that the chemical recipe is (at least last I heard) a trade secret for Colt. But as an everyday shooter, I would argue that either a GP100 or a 686 (pre-lock, pre-mim) would be better, tougher choices. I don't know about anyone else, but any of the three would be more that welcome in my collection, albeit for different uses...

Can you imagine being told by a police officer who shows up right after you have to use your carry gun to "drop your gun and kick it over here" I would end up with 15 bullet holes in me trying to explain why I don't want to drop my $1000.00 Colt on the ground/pavement/sidewalk etc.

Can you imagine being told by a police officer who shows up right after you have to use your carry gun to "drop your gun and kick it over here" I would end up with 15 bullet holes in me trying to explain why I don't want to drop my $1000.00 Colt on the ground/pavement/sidewalk etc.

Ha ha
I would be using my finger tips trying to open the gun and lay it down gently,all the time yelling,
"It's a $1000 gun,I'm not dropping it OR sliding it to you"

I have an early production 6" nickel Python. Had the Colt shop do a #1 factory tune for PPC shooting. Use only .38 specials in it. Single stage trigger.

An unbelievably smooth gun. Second in accuracy only to an early stock 4" S&W M66.

I have an early production 6" nickel Python. Had the Colt shop do a #1 factory tune for PPC shooting. Use only .38 specials in it. Single stage trigger.

An unbelievably smooth gun. Second in accuracy only to an early stock 4" S&W M66.
You mean like this one...

SWm66.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews