JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I recall correctly what the FFL puts on the 4473 determines what you can build with your lower purchase. If he marked it as a pistol you can build it as a rifle, but if he claimed it as a rifle you cant build it as a pistol and it has to stay a rifle. Is that correct?

How do you know what the FFL put on the form? What if you don't have the form or were never given it?

If the FFL doesn't put "other" on the form he's a bone head.
If it's marked other,which is exactly what a receiver is,you can do whatever you want.
And it is not any better for anything legally if it's marked rifle or pistol

I have never seen anything but "other" on a AR lower ........either way they have to ask if they want to be specific on that ........but once a pistol is made into a rifle it supposedly cant be made into a pistol ever again

I have never seen anything but "other" on a AR lower ........either way they have to ask if they want to be specific on that ........but once a pistol is made into a rifle it supposedly cant be made into a pistol ever again
So on the theme of a tree falling in the forest.....
If nobody sees it built as a pistol....or a rifle..... was ever built as either?
Just something to ponder before showing the serial number off to anyone;)

Actually, you can legally go from "other", to pistol, to rifle, back to pistol (and on and on) That was settled because IIRC the Thompson company made kits for some Contender variant that the BATFE declared an illegal SBR, but the BATFE lost the case in court.

If the firearm is EVER marked as a "rifle" on a 4473 then its one of two choices from there onwards: "rifle" or "SBR" (AFTER you get a NFA stamp for the SBR)

Take this 80% lower I recently cut. It's an AR pistol, I can legally pin a rifle upper to it and change the buffer assembly to a buttstock and use it, then put it right back to the configuration that you see in the photo.

IMG_3656.JPG

If I recall correctly what the FFL puts on the 4473 determines what you can build with your lower purchase. If he marked it as a pistol you can build it as a rifle, but if he claimed it as a rifle you cant build it as a pistol and it has to stay a rifle. Is that correct?

How do you know what the FFL put on the form? What if you don't have the form or were never given it?
They should be willing to show you what they marked. I mean you are standing right there when they are finishing the form up
And they can't give you the form. That is their paper work the show do diligence. You really don't need the form but you could ask for a copy. Not saying you'll get one

They should be willing to show you what they marked. I mean you are standing right there when they are finishing the form up
And they can't give you the form. That is their paper work the show do diligence. You really don't need the form but you could ask for a copy. Not saying you'll get one

You CAN read it over before you answer the questions and sign it.

You CAN read it over before you answer the questions and sign it.

Only if we had an ordered gun come in would the paper work be done before the customer filled their part out.
Obviously the customer needs to pick a gun so you have a serial number :confused:. Anyway you can ask to see it

Or you can ask prior to the sale how they're going to mark it. Then, if they say they're going to mark it anything other than "other", you can take your money elswhere.

Ray

in my case a lower I bought about a year ago when I did not know any of this. I didn't ask, didn't know to ask, and have no idea if the 4473 was marked "other".

in my case a lower I bought about a year ago when I did not know any of this. I didn't ask, didn't know to ask, and have no idea if the 4473 was marked "other".
I wouldn't even worry about it. I would bet it was marked 'other'
And how the heck did you keep it a year without building it?o_O

I wouldn't even worry about it. I would bet it was marked 'other'
And how the heck did you keep it a year without building it?o_O
Oh I built it... as a rifle. Im thinking about buying another lower and recall learning to ask them to mark it "other" somewhere on this forum.
However, I dont think Im going to assume they marked my current lower as "other"... it will stay a rifle.

Actually, you can legally go from "other", to pistol, to rifle, back to pistol (and on and on) That was settled because IIRC the Thompson company made kits for some Contender variant that the BATFE declared an illegal SBR, but the BATFE lost the case in court.

If the firearm is EVER marked as a "rifle" on a 4473 then its one of two choices from there onwards: "rifle" or "SBR" (AFTER you get a NFA stamp for the SBR)
.......damn that does ring a bell.....the last part about marked as rifle is what i was trying to think ......I think

apologies for the bad info Koda

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads