JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quoted from another thread but rings true for me also.
"I am a new AR owner and I have a question. I probably should already know this but I don't."

I am installing a LPK on my freshly milled 80% lower and there are 3 detent springs, two for the takedown pin detent & one for the safety selector detent. That all said, two of these springs are exactly the same length and one is a tad shorter and a bit stiffer than the other two. Is the shorter stiffer spring for the safety selector?
I always like to get info from here instead of on youboob....:p
As always thanks in advance.;)

Last Edited:
You do get two chances of losing a take down spring and only one chance of squashing the safety spring.
That's why when I buy a lower parts kit I buy 2 why buy 1 when you can buy 2 for the same shipping price lol I think have enough lower spings and detents for four guns

Get a magnet it will help find the springs that go flying lol won't help with the brass stuff or aluminum but steal spring in the carpet is not good for vacuum cleaner

Yep. Lots of springs. Lots of detents. Lots of dinky tiny parts for that notion. Consider a large type clear thin plastic sack to contain the entire lower in when installing all of those horrible OEM type dinky detents and springs. You will have stuff fly out at first. Amazing hang time if not contained by the aforementioned clear plastic sack. The stiffy spring is for the selector.

Be sure the spring does not coil bind when working the selector around. The bolt stop spring and detent is easily identifiable and are different. When all together the selector, (safety) should turn freely when the hammer is cocked. When in the safe position with the hammer cocked the trigger MUST have NEXT TO ZERO play when squeezed. Very little is kinda OK.

Hope this helps. I for one would not attempt an 80% build lower. Too many things must go exactly correct. Too many things can go slightly wrong. And too many things can go horribly wrong. Just me. Put another respectful way, everything must be perfect for the build to be safe to shoot. Also I lack the equipment to do it properly. Fitting and finishing can drive your nuts.

Respectfully. Hundreds of AR15 builds. Uncounted M16 gang tackled beater M16 rebuilds. Long ago and far away. Over 40 years now. The Industry has certainly changed and gotten better. Now there is stuff that we only dreamed about. Let us all know here how things work out for you. It is amazing what can be done nowadays. Be sure to have fun and shoot all the ammo. :)

I don't agree with the above at all, I have seen some horrendous 80% builds that worked fine. Hell I saw a lower carved out of a 2x4 that worked fine.

80% builds do sometimes take a little fitting. I've built a dozen or so of them and maybe half took a little filing or futzing to get just so but that's part of the fun in my opinion. I want the experience of making a block of aluminum into a functional machine, I never really got the full CNC build deal, why not just buy a lower if you want no part of the work?

My first 80% was the cheapest polymer one I could find witch was a good choice because I @#$%&+? It up my second I got the polymer 80% kit that came with the jig and bits work 's good my AR pistol I have some aluminum ones that I have started but I need a better drill press and some good bits to finish it IMAG0691.jpg polymer 80 lower

@EPS Have a Build Thread? I'm starting to consider a pistol build of my own...

To All: I've seen some ideas elsewhere about buying a bin worth of LPK's and spare spring/detent/etc kits and keeping them all organized in a tackle box, which might be helpful.

Get a magnet it will help find the springs that go flying lol won't help with the brass stuff or aluminum but steal spring in the carpet is not good for vacuum cleaner
I put the lower in a giant clear plastic bag with the open end down while I work on it. I call it my Sproing Bag. Any part that goes sproing either stays in the bag or falls to the bench right in front of me.

@EPS Have a Build Thread? I'm starting to consider a pistol build of my own...

To All: I've seen some ideas elsewhere about buying a bin worth of LPK's and spare spring/detent/etc kits and keeping them all organized in a tackle box, which might be helpful.
I buy these little tackle box's and separate different gun parts you can get them in a few different sizes and you can make the compartment 's different sizes IMAG0839.jpg

I use a Plano 3780 similarly for packing up the Field Office to transport--just barely fits in the laptop case with the system in front, cooling pad behind and power brick alongside. One of the guys at Imminent Threat Solutions had a really neat setup with an Akro-Mils 6318... only things I didn't see in his box were receivers, handguards, barrels and gas tubes.
AR-15 Spare Parts Organization Schematic for the Obsessive Compulsive

I use a Plano 3780 similarly for packing up the Field Office to transport--just barely fits in the laptop case with the system in front, cooling pad behind and power brick alongside. One of the guys at Imminent Threat Solutions had a really neat setup with an Akro-Mils 6318... only things I didn't see in his box were receivers, handguards, barrels and gas tubes.
AR-15 Spare Parts Organization Schematic for the Obsessive Compulsive
Nice I like these they are Plano also got them at Walmart there cheap I got 4 I like the 7 by 11inch because they fit in by gun bag perfect

I don't agree with the above at all, I have seen some horrendous 80% builds that worked fine. Hell I saw a lower carved out of a 2x4 that worked fine.

80% builds do sometimes take a little fitting. I've built a dozen or so of them and maybe half took a little filing or futzing to get just so but that's part of the fun in my opinion. I want the experience of making a block of aluminum into a functional machine, I never really got the full CNC build deal, why not just buy a lower if you want no part of the work?
Nothing's completely fool proof, but building an AR with today's jigs comes pretty close. Only trouble I've ever had was one where the hammer didn't fit correctly. A little quick die grinder work was all it took.

What is it that makes us ramble on?
:rolleyes:

What you talking bout Willis, I'm still lookin for the buffer detent spring I lost 6 years ago!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Lol I was working on my stuff in the front room lol I lost stuff and still haven't found it and that room has wood floors I don't know where the stuff goes it just disappear 's

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top