JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting thing happened me this weekend. I normally lightly grease my AR's with BATTLE BORN grease, at least for the last year or so. Put about 200 rounds down the pipe a month or two ago and did not clean. Went shooting to sight-in and test my new Aimpoint red dot. Every other bullet was a fail to feed. Hmm. So I throughly cleaned and re greased and oiled with my old stand by, Tetra gun grease and oil. Went back to the woods and fired 50 or 60 rounds without a problem. My question is not about cleaning, but about the type of grease used. BATTLE BORN seems to get VERY thick with time and a bit of blow back. Tetra is for sure lighter and other than the smell seems like the go-to. Thoughts?

Could be the cooler temperatures, l had a garand that wouldn't run in cold temperatures with Grease, Rifle (usgi grease in a green can) so l switched to that synthetic super lube Harbor Frieght sells.

Thank you, I'll check into that. I'd prefer not to have to relive all my AR's! I'll just do them one at a time.

I bought a 16oz bottle of Militec-1 about 20yrs ago and still have some left. It is my go to now. That being said, I've been adding the last few drops of Mobil-1 from our oil changes to the bottle so plenty is left.

Now that all that blather is out of the way, my experience is the AR bolt carrier like to be lightly lubed as stated above. It is best IMO to take care of the bolt carrier after each shoot even if the rest of the rifle is left dirty.

In a pinch when out shooting and you don't have any lube, use some oil off the dipstick in your car/truck and that will get you back up and running. If the carrier is dry, you will end up with a slow moving carrier and FTFs.

Grease IMO just collects grime and messes things up.

I have used Breakfree CLP since the mid-80's, in forests, jungles, and urban settings across several continents in temperatures ranging from 0°F to 120°F and kept all my issued weapons running well with nary an issue.

The old ways are still the best ways.

RIG Gun Grease works well.

For AR15 type rifles...I just use CLP....
That said...
I know from experience that GI Issue Sun Block will work in a pinch with the M16 series of rifles and Carbines.....:D
Andy

I've been using Geissele 0000 Super Thin Grease with good results. It's at thin as an oil. Can't remember my last malf with an AR including over 2,000 rounds with two guns in a class last year. Their Go Juice is what we use in handguns with similar results.

Interesting thing happened me this weekend. I normally lightly grease my AR's with BATTLE BORN grease, at least for the last year or so. Put about 200 rounds down the pipe a month or two ago and did not clean. Went shooting to sight-in and test my new Aimpoint red dot. Every other bullet was a fail to feed. Hmm. So I throughly cleaned and re greased and oiled with my old stand by, Tetra gun grease and oil. Went back to the woods and fired 50 or 60 rounds without a problem. My question is not about cleaning, but about the type of grease used. BATTLE BORN seems to get VERY thick with time and a bit of blow back. Tetra is for sure lighter and other than the smell seems like the go-to. Thoughts?
A petroleum based grease will dry out and thicken with time as the petroleum aerosolizes (sp). Tetra is a fluoropolymer synthetic and therefore does not dry out.

That said, I used a fresh application of Red's synthetic gun lube every time before I go out... it is thin and slick like the old Breakfree Lightning and a LOT easier to clean up than petroleum based greases. I like tetra on the trigger parts, and Red's on the BCG and bolt.

Last Edited:
I use whale oil or baby seal oil (freshly clubbed). Whale oil is getting hard to find, a good alternative is dead fat chicks. You can usually find them close to a See's candy store or a Baskin Robbins where their hearts give out.

AR's run well with a light coat of oil. I would avoid grease. I run CLP and have never had an issue.
This ^^^
You found out why you don't go Hog Wild with grease on an AR.
"1" = one drop
"L" = light coat oil
"G" = grease
Screen-Shot-10-12-21-at-08-11-AM.png

Edit:
Some will say "Just hose it with CLP"
And you could do that because CLP is a very light oil.

Last Edited:
I use whale oil or baby seal oil (freshly clubbed). Whale oil is getting hard to find, a good alternative is dead fat chicks. You can usually find them close to a See's candy store or a Baskin Robbins where their hearts give out.
I actually have a bottle of sperm whale oil in my cleaning kit.;) It is very old and only in there to say I still have it. My AR's get lots of rounds and used in very cold to very hot conditions. My go to is a synthetic motor oil that one of my cars uses. I apply it with a Q-tip all over the carrier. It works for my situation......but, that same oil used on my revolvers will get very stiff if I let the gun get cold like leaving it in the trunk in cold weather. So, the handguns get CLP and anything I bet my life on will get the same and not the motor oil.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top