JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, guys, have a lower on the way, have an LPK on order, have an upper waiting on funds. Between these, that leaves me short the buffer/spring/tube, stock, BCG and charging handle.

Wise Arms offers a BCG and CH addon to the upper I plan to order for $90, and Palmetto offers an LPK that adds the back-end on for another $60. Complication, I require a stock with an 11" or less length of pull--us in the bottom half of the 5' range don'thave as long of arms as everyone else, ya know? :)

Here's the challenge: Anybody have any suggestions to complete my rifle with decent "starter" parts on a combined budget of $150 shipped to Seattle area?

Total so far:
$125 NWFA Lower (treat as $90, I'm writing the $35 markup off as "site contribution")
$50 PSA Lower Parts Kit
planning $300 for upper

Well, guys, have a lower on the way, have an LPK on order, have an upper waiting on funds. Between these, that leaves me short the buffer/spring/tube, stock, BCG and charging handle.

Wise Arms offers a BCG and CH addon to the upper I plan to order for $90, and Palmetto offers an LPK that adds the back-end on for another $60. Complication, I require a stock with an 11" or less length of pull--us in the bottom half of the 5' range don'thave as long of arms as everyone else, ya know? :)

Here's the challenge: Anybody have any suggestions to complete my rifle with decent "starter" parts on a combined budget of $150 shipped to Seattle area?

Total so far:
$125 NWFA Lower (treat as $90, I'm writing the $35 markup off as "site contribution")
$50 PSA Lower Parts Kit
planning $300 for upper

No idea personally. I'm still an AR noob but always looking to learn more about the little things. Do the magpul collapsible stocks go short enough for you or are you looking for a solid one piece stock?

Sounds like a decent build to me so far:cool:.

I have an adjustable carbine length buffer/tube/spring/endplate/castle nut you can have. Should solve your issue for length, just get a milspec stock. Pm me where you want it shipped.

Or if you are going fixed stock I have a buffer and spring for those also, you can have either set you want.

@Joe13 Don't know, would prefer a collapsible--just in case I can get her papers in order, the Better Half is noticeably taller than I am so it'd be nice to not have to perform surgery swapping parts for her to shoot it too. Below 9" at full-collapse is preferred because the LAW Tactical sidefolder adapter I'd like to add later adds 2".

Stock wise these are a few common ones under $100 msrp and can be found used for $30-$60

Sorry if the order is mixed up I'm not tech savvy haha
Lwrc ultra compact, b5 sopmod bravo, vltor Info, magpul ctr, magpul ACS.

IMG_20160901_232909422.jpg IMG_20160901_232925961.jpg IMG_20160901_232954828.jpg IMG_20160901_233008166.jpg IMG_20160901_233053245.jpg IMG_20160901_233106571.jpg IMG_20160901_233152292.jpg IMG_20160901_233203053.jpg IMG_20160901_233318629.jpg IMG_20160901_233329783.jpg

Those pics are a big help, amigo--would seem that short-stocking isn't as much of a problem as I'd feared. :) Further illustrating the AR's advantage over traditional irons. :)

CBC is offering an upper very similar to the Wise (biggest difference is a 4150-steel 5.56 NATO barrel with carbine-length gas vs. stainless .223 Wylde and mid) I've been looking at along with stock and LPK for $450 shipped ATM, so that's starting to have some shortcut appeal for "just add lower, optic and BUIS" even though eventually the barrel and gas system will need upgrading.

PM on your generous offer will follow as soon as I finish writing it. :)

Those pics are a big help, amigo--would seem that short-stocking isn't as much of a problem as I'd feared. :) Further illustrating the AR's advantage over traditional irons. :)

CBC is offering an upper very similar to the Wise (biggest difference is a 4150-steel 5.56 NATO barrel with carbine-length gas vs. stainless .223 Wylde and mid) I've been looking at along with stock and LPK for $450 shipped ATM, so that's starting to have some shortcut appeal for "just add lower, optic and BUIS" even though eventually the barrel and gas system will need upgrading.

PM on your generous offer will follow as soon as I finish writing it. :)

That guys pretty dang generous and nice;).

One of the NWFA All Time Greats in my book:rolleyes:.

As much as I hate junk mail, try subscribing to email newsletters from places like palmetto state armory, del ton or windham weaponry. I've seen some greAt deals in my inbox, especially from palmetto state armory.

FWIW - I measured my MFT Minimalist stock and fully collapsed is 7.75" from the end of the upper receiver. That measurement includes the castle nut and back plate. Adjustable stocks are the way to go so you can get a proper fit for almost everybody.

Best tip for budget builds is to go and sign up for all the top discount sites email lists. I get emails from Surplus Ammo, Aim Surplus, Palmetto, and many more all the time with great deals on stuff that I don;t need. It really helped with building on a budget.

Maybe we should start a sticky about sites with killer deals in their newsletters regularly... :) starting to think I should un-subscribe from CDNN since they're mainly pushing C-Products mags and "no-name" sights.

I'll go first:
Aero Precision
Brownells
CBC Industries
CDNN Sports
F+W Publishing/Gun Digest
GunMag Warehouse
Lanbo's Armory
Magpul
MidwayUSA
ODIN Works
OpticsPlanet
Palmetto State Armory
Quantico Tactical
Slickguns

Last Edited:
I'm subscribed to more then I care to admit and really should unsubscribe to most of them lol Palmetto has good deals all the time, I'd check out Primary Arms (great customer service) and JSE for AR parts and builds. For budget builds I have found that "parts kits" are the cheapest ways to go. Buy everything in a kit, LPK, buffer kit etc etc. You can always upgrade later but for now just to get it built that's what I would do.

I'll throw a +1 to palmetto, the nitrolon parts are quite budget friendly. Last year I picked up a CHF 16" m4gery kit from them for just shy of $600 (with shipping) I already had the lower.

I really can't say enough good stuff about palmetto. The only thing that doesn't get me excited is all the parts are in some way or another embossed with their logo. Apparently they didn't realize I was building a rifle and not a billboard for their products. However, since I went and painted the gun anyways (krylon, khaki) it doesn't really matter.

This is an excellent thread, I just ordered my first lower from Aero Precision for $88 (The X-15 model). And to be honest I'm still a little uneasy about putting it all together as the most I've done is changing out glock parts. Hopefully PSA will still have some 10.5'' uppers when I can scrap together enough dough.:eek: Also Tombstone still had 15 available when I ordered mine if anyones looking.

DanDee Sales in Sweet Home has Anderson lowers for $55. Found a pistol buffer for $25 and bought an lpk for about $25 several years ago. Into the build with a total of $105. If I can get that upper for $200, I'll be a happy camper. Then I can put $100 of Magpul furniture on it afterwards. :D

This is an excellent thread, I just ordered my first lower from Aero Precision for $88 (The X-15 model). And to be honest I'm still a little uneasy about putting it all together as the most I've done is changing out glock parts. Hopefully PSA will still have some 10.5'' uppers when I can scrap together enough dough.:eek: Also Tombstone still had 15 available when I ordered mine if anyones looking.

Don't be intimidated - AR builds are really very easy once you get going on them. There are several really good YouTube videos that will walk you through it. You really appreciate the genius of Stoner when you install a part that has multiple purposes - even the pistol grip supports the spring used in the safety detent as an example.

The PSA upper will likely save you money over parts and tools, but still no real challenge to build an upper. To me the toughest part was getting the dust cover on, and that was pretty easy.

The best part about building is that there are no mysteries when you need to replace a worn out part and you already have all the tools.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top