JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going about my budget build a little bit differently. Instead of "how cheap can I get this for" I go with "how good of a ____ can I get for this much in my wallet"

It's defintely a slower method, but still keeps within what I consider confines of a budget. I'm also trying my best to avoid buying online as much as possible. It's tough when I know what I want to see out of this build.

At this point I've collected (no prices because, well, I learned a long time ago to hide receipts).
-Anderson Lower (Curts)
-Cerro Forge Upper (Sporting Systems)
-Strike Industries upper parts (Sporting Systems)
-MilSpec Buffer assem. and nut and endplate (Rapid Fire Arms)
-Nickle Boron BCG (Aero)
-armorers wrench (Rapid Fire)
-punches (Parkrose Hardware)

How I imagine finishing up:
-BCM LPK (can't find anyone local that carries these, so online buy)
-16" SS .223 Wylde carbine (unless I can find a good deal on similar 14.5" pinned setup)
-7" m-lock free float (probably Sporting Systems
-adjustable gas block (Ti or SS)
-shortest muzzle device I can find
-Battlelink Minimalist stock

then its on to sights and optics, but at this point I've barely looked.

Don't be intimidated - AR builds are really very easy once you get going on them. There are several really good YouTube videos that will walk you through it. You really appreciate the genius of Stoner when you install a part that has multiple purposes - even the pistol grip supports the spring used in the safety detent as an example.

The PSA upper will likely save you money over parts and tools, but still no real challenge to build an upper. To me the toughest part was getting the dust cover on, and that was pretty easy.

The best part about building is that there are no mysteries when you need to replace a worn out part and you already have all the tools.
Midwest Industries rail was a pain in the butt to install. That was my least favorite thing about building an upper.

This is an excellent thread, I just ordered my first lower from Aero Precision for $88 (The X-15 model). And to be honest I'm still a little uneasy about putting it all together as the most I've done is changing out glock parts. Hopefully PSA will still have some 10.5'' uppers when I can scrap together enough dough.:eek: Also Tombstone still had 15 available when I ordered mine if anyones looking.

Courier, If I can do it you can...you are starting with an excellent lower. It took me a while and I only had one spring sproing, but I did it without a magwell vice, only roll pin punches and armorer's wrench plus the usual tools. A complete BCM upper mated like it was made for it. Get the clevis pin with the holes drilled from lowe's, Homedespot, sand it down to fit and it makes one of the hardest assembly stages a piece of cake. Also I watched videos and had a great book.

Brutus Out

Midwest Industries rail was a pain in the butt to install. That was my least favorite thing about building an upper.

I used Samson Evolutions on mine since they are designed to work well with the Adams piston kits I was using. Very easy to install, but not my favorite mounting system. Still, they were rock solid once I tightened everything down.

I'd probably go with Troy if I was building DI SPR's. The standard delta ring setup isn't very hard to install if you go that route, and it's still a good choice, and if I do more builds that's the system I will be using.

I went a different route for my ostensibly "budget-entry level" AR build... I started with E-sarco's $409.95 complete Flat Top AR15 kit without detachable rear sight minus stripped lower, just to get the experience and a working knowledge of what part goes where, and used Youtube videos for guidance/education on how to put them together... The lower was $67 OTD from Ed's Guns and Gear, this included a BG check. So all together; $476.95 plus shipping.... Bear in mind this complete kit included a 16" .223 Wylde barrel with M4 profile and Carbine length FSB system, and a brand new BCG assembly... Actually, everything was either new or like new when it came to parts...Add the $20 detachable carry handle sight I sourced locally, and it's basically a brand new AR for just under $500.
I am sure that if I shopped around, and went with locally sourced used AR parts (handguards, stocks, buffers, tubes, pieces and such), and got the upper and barrel from other discount sites, I would be able to do the AR for around $400 or so, plus the various shipping charges...

PSA has a weekend deal on a BCA and 120 rounds of American Eagle ammo for $99.99. Their bolts are made from Carpenter 158 and staked properly, seems like a decent deal to me:

<broken link removed>

IMHO fancy coatings on bolts looks high speed / low drag, but it doesn't do squat for performance. Built from the right materials, machined properly, gas key staked on correctly.....that's what matters. As they say, one man's opinion.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg i like guntec and utg pro superslim keymod and mlok rails.

top and bottom are guntec

middle is utg pro

Luckily I purchased an armorers wrench thinking I would need It to install a single point sling adaptor, but it turns out it wasnt necessary so I'm hoping I'll get my $20 worth with this project...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top