JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As EPS says, cut the pin in half. May I add, place a piece of steel between the pin and the mag well to prevent damage to the receiver.

Cutting the pin in half isn't going to make it come out easier. The detent dent is close to the head so cutting it in half wont help. Best bet is to hold lower vertically, pry the spring back through the hole while tapping butt stock end on the table. Timing is critical here---as soon as it hits the table, push out the pin. If that doesn't work center punch the head and drill the head off. You should then be able to access the detent or push the pin through.
If you are still not sure bring it by my work in Beaverton and I'll do it.

Cutting it in ~half should allow the left hand part of the pin to be removed providing access to the slot in the pin. With access to the slot you should be able to feed a straight pin or jewelers screw driver down the slot to force the small spring loaded retaining pin away from the pivot pin, allowing the pivot pin to be tapped out. Are there other methods I would try first? Sure. However I seriously doubt most here have some of the tools I have.

As far as drilling the head off that's not something I would advise unless you have a lot of experience doing that. I can't tell you how many times I have seen that go south requiring an oversize fastener or needing to plug the hole in an aircraft skin or fitting. Why do I have an opinion on this? Many years working production repairs for Boeing and Lockheed fixing the F ups of other workers.

FWIW If I were going to drill the head off in my shop I'd be using one of my mills not the drill press and certainly not freehand.

Would I rule out removing the head? No. Just not the first thing I would try.

What about using an "L" pick, to get into the channel of the pin "between" the ears?
You may be able to catch the detent pin by twisting.

Guessing here, but it sounds to me that the detent hole, is deeper than spec.

im still wondering why you think this is the wrong pin. its flat on the detent tunnel for a reason. you gotta work these parts in to fit. like manipulate it 100 times before it starts to feel normal. same as when you assemble an upper. soak the bcg in clp
and cycle it until u work up a grey slurry...thats called lapping it in.

It won't budge at all the detent is stuck inside the takedown pin think the takedown pin hole was drilled a little to far in!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top