JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any suggestions on removing the stuck gas block?
I have tried to hammer it down after using a heat gun and propane torch.
It barely moves.

IMG_7875.JPG

Most likely it's just the carbon seal from use. I would be very cautious with CLR, it's an acid that can cause issues and will void most warranties. Best bet is repeated application of firearm specific carbon remover. You can clamp the barrel with vise blocks and rotate the gas block, but that can score the journal and/or block, especially if the set screws raised a burr. If you're willing to sacrifice the gas block, carefully cut it off without damaging the barrel.
One or two manufacturers us a sealant, like 620. Some LMT barrels are press fit gas blocks. Those both have specific removal procedures.

Did you originally install it? if not, and it's a factory install, check for secondary set screws in the bottom of the pocket. I've seen set screws on top of set screws used as locknuts. Check it out.
Yes, I installed it myself. I kind forgot if there were secondary screws, but I don't think it has them.
Here is the link to the product.

So far used half a bottle of 3in1 to soak it a night

Tried to remove it with and without the propane torch, still barely moved. :(
Going to try for another night.

It's $36, how badly do you need it off? If you're going through many products and several hours of frustration, it might just be worth it to cut the thing off and install a brand new one. If you try too hard, you might even damage a $100+ barrel or buy more than $36 of tooling.

KROIL is the best penatrating oil out there. Once you start using it you will wonder how you got by without it.

That and the freezer / heat method mentioned works well.

If that doesn't work then I'm in the cut it off group.

So far used half a bottle of 3in1 to soak it a night

Tried to remove it with and without the propane torch, still barely moved. :(
Going to try for another night.
How much are you heating it? Don't be afraid to get that sucker hot - as in glowing. It'll come off. That's why I mentioned mapp gas, gets stuff hotter faster. Unless you have oxy/acet, that'll work even faster.

Kroil is a good call too, or mouse milk. Could also just use Ed's Red, that'll work well also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top