JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I am using a quality barrel and BCG do I still need to buy gauges? And second question If I have an upper in 5.56 and one in 6.8 spc, should I just be able to swap out the bolt and use the same BCG?

I get that these are kind of loaded questions, but I am looking for folks who have built some ARs who may have some headspace and swapping experience.

If using new quality parts, you should be fine. BUT, it doesnt hurt to check. With bolt groups as cheap as they are now, it doesnt make sense to "share" a carrier....( but you could )

Rule of thumb I was taught:

new bbl-new bolt= good to go

new bbl-used bolt= might be ok, check with gauge

old bbl-new bolt= same as above

old-old....dont bother

If I am using a quality barrel and BCG do I still need to buy gauges?
With the AR you can get away without checking headspace as the end user when using quality components.
If you're worried you can...

1) Buy a barrel with a matched bolt
2) Buy buy the Colt II Field Gauge (1.4736")
3) Buy the kit

I bought the Field Gauge and used that for my first build.
Later builds I did not check.

And second question If I have an upper in 5.56 and one in 6.8 spc, should I just be able to swap out the bolt and use the same BCG?
You swap out the bolt and use the same CARRIER.
BCG means Bolt/Carrier Group.
Also with 6.8SPC you will need 6.8SPC mags and 6.8SPC barrel.

To recap :
6.8SPC requires...

1) 6.8SPC barrel
2) 6.8SPC bolt
3) 6.8SPC magazine

Last Edited:
I had a LGS that used to check headspace for me at no charge, and out of MANY builds, never had a no go. They have since gone out of business, and I have not checked headspace on any builds since.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top