JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dog peeingAV.png

EDIT
Not to imply a meaning of personal sort. More the meaning the topic becomes a he said/she said back and forth subject. Hence the image.

This one would have been more appropriate. Of which I just whipped together :D
Dog-Piss-Match.gif

Last Edited:
For those that hunt with a AR15 and AR10 type rifle....
I just want to say : Thank you.

Far too many non gun people and anti gun people only view the AR series of rifles as meant only for killing...and not as it should be viewed....
As a rifle...of the semi-automatic type...
Andy

The .458 SOCOM is basically a .45-70 out of an AR-15, .45-70 has anchored plenty elk to say nothing of buffalo and been doing it for over 125 years. The .300 HAM'R with it's near .308 Win ballistics shows promise also within an appropriate range.
Along with the 50 Beowulf,and the 450 bushmaster, all three are in the same ballistic ballpark. The 350 legend also is a contender as it was designed for hunting. The drawback is that none of them is much past 300 yards, but that's ok by me.

Had a AR-10 in .243 win That I setup for coyotes that rifle shot great but weighted 12 lb traded it for a bolt action that was about 5 lbs lighter.

For those that hunt with a AR15 and AR10 type rifle....
I just want to say : Thank you.

Far too many non gun people and anti gun people only view the AR series of rifles as meant only for killing...and not as it should be viewed....
As a rifle...of the semi-automatic type...
Andy

Had the first musket had a pistol grip we would all be hunting with AR-style rifles.

I just can't do it. Chambering a round reliably means letting the bolt fly. Thats loud. Too many nooks and crannies for crap to get into. Too tall with grip/magazine and optic. I like the low profile of a bolt/single shot/lever gun. ARs are also pretty heavy unless you make a huge effort to buy the lightest parts possible. The action length makes for a long rifle if you want to use enough barrel to generate some velocity. Magazine constraints suck and you're limited to fairly mild cartridges. I prefer a little more shock and awe.

if I was starting over again I would consider an AR platform to hunt with. 1 rifle all around for self defense and hunting seems practical to me. If I had the coin I would think one could make an AR10 platform light enough but consider that you could start out with what you can afford and upgrade to lighter components later on. I would pick the Creedmore over the 308 but in the end that probably doesn't matter much. I like the ballistics of the Creedmore better for elk.

My brother in law has used a Palmetto AR-10 to take deer in Western Montana, but he does most of his hunting for elk and with a bolt action 30-06.

The deer wont care how much money you spent on the rifle though.

I recently put together an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Haven't got glass on it yet, so I've got no idea how it will work.

I've got three Pronghorns with an AR-15 in 25 WSSM, and one with my 243 WSSM. My wife got one with her 6.5 Grendel, and the one the next year with her lightweight 264 LBC. (Same as the 6.5 Grendel for those who don't know).

That's because it is, the Magpul PRS is almost 2lbs by itself. Personally if I was to hunt with an AR it would be an AR-15 with an upper in 6.5 Grendel, .458 SOCOM or other appropriate round. AR-10s are pigs.
This. There are many advantages to an AR-10 style rifle. Weight is not one of them. You could always build one with specifically with the intention of making it lighter weight. Maybe a CF handguard (no rail), lightest weight stock you can get your hands on. Scope consideration is key. I have a POF .308 and I had to take the scope off to send it back to the mfg for warranty repair. I forgot how much the scope adds to the overall weight. It was actually reasonably light WITHOUT the scope/rings.

I picked up a , (never shot), used POF revolution in 308, weighs in at about 7 1/2lbs
Of course I've now hung about 18lbs of nonsense on it....
Point being though,that the goal was to make an AR10 that handles like an AR15, which this does.
View attachment 681820
I've got the bigger, older brother of your rifle. It's a fine rifle but I definitely bought it for durability, longevity sake and not for it's light weight. I'd be curious to feel yours in comparison to see how significantly lighter it is.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top