JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:DI've been reading about Appleseed for a few while now and am excited at the prospect of an event opening up here locally. Now I can find out exactly how poor of a marksman I really am. :D

So Wheeler44 have you asked Marcola or ARPC?
Not yet..

How it works......with a range , we need a member to invite us to speak with the Board of Directors, then with member support we work to get a shoot scheduled.

Several of us took a tour of the range at Douglas Ridge yesterday...
We will now work on scheduling shoots there..The next hurdle for that range is finding Range Safety Officers (RSOs) for the weekends under consideration....Are there any interested RSOs from Douglas Ridge here????

I am a member at EEGC in Marcola. I hereby invite you as an Appleseed rep to speak with the board of directors at Emerald Empire Gun Club. The current president is Wes King, a friend, and he interested in increasing shooting sports at EEGC. If you have some sort of informational email/brochure that you can fwd to me, I'll scout ahead & lay the groundwork for this.

email me: benbock at m s n dot com

Wheeler, I'm the dude who asked you guys if you didn't mind me shooting the indoor pistol range while you met in the classroom at Douglas Ridge. Had never heard of appleseed till you mentioned it there.

I'm new to DRRC so am not sure who the RSO's you'd need to talk to would be, but their web site is www.douglasridge.org if that helps at all. I'd love to participate if you guys are able to hold a session there.

I am a member at EEGC in Marcola. I hereby invite you as an Appleseed rep to speak with the board of directors at Emerald Empire Gun Club.
OK PM me with some contact info and I or another 'seeder will get the ball rollin'.....
Wheeler, send me some mail on info and I'll forward it to ARPC with an invite from me
Please see above and we'll get down there too....

You folks are great..This will be the year that we get things cookin' in OR....
Wheeler, I'm the dude who asked you guys if you didn't mind me shooting the indoor pistol range while you met in the classroom at Douglas Ridge. Had never heard of appleseed till you mentioned it there.

I'm new to DRRC so am not sure who the RSO's you'd need to talk to would be, but their web site is www.douglasridge.org if that helps at all. I'd love to participate if you guys are able to hold a session there.
Hey.. great to meet here as well.....
Pssst..from what I understand, DRRC will schedule RSO training for willing members..hint, hint....And working a weekend shoot or a day of the shoot would count towards your volunteer time there....

Keep up the good work folks...But please be patient.. All Appleseeders are volunteers and also have jobs, houses and family commitments .....

^^^^ Shoot a 210 or better on a reduced AQT.

That's forty aimed shots
10 off hand....( 1 mag, 2 minutes)
10 sitting or kneeling...(55 seconds with a mag change, start from standing)
10 rapid fire prone (65 seconds with a mag change, start from standing)
10 slow fire prone ( 1 mag, 5 minutes) this stage scores double for a potential 100 points all other stages are 50 points....on progressively smaller silhouette targets (slow fire prone targets are about 2"x2" for a 3 ring(lowest scoring shot) and 1"x1" for a 5 ring (highest scoring shot) the off hand is about 8"x8" 3ring and 3"x4" 5 ring)
at 25 meters..

There is one offhand silhouette, two sitting/ kneeling, three rapid prone and four slow fire prone so you will need to change your position accordingly..(NPOA.. Natural point of aim)

This is really intriguing, the wife and I are going to look into it doing one of these weekends. One question I have for what you posted above is how many chances do you get to qualify during the weekend?

Amazing that there are several scheduled in CA... I didn't think those serfs were allowed to have any shootin' iron?? :D

Oh, they can have them, alright, but its a rough row to hoe, what with all the commipinkolibthought, particularly in Sackamenna......

I know a number of very avid shooters down there. They chafe against all the stupidity, grin and bear it, and shoot on anyway. Most live well outside urban areas, where there are some wide open spaces. My brothers used to head off into an unfenced military reservation to shoot..... found a downed jet fighter in there once, still had the 50mm wing cannon, and fairly full ammo lockers, all intact. They thought about taking one of the cannon and a half ton of ammo... now THAT would be a thing to have. Things have changed a lot since then, though... they can't even GO there any more, let alone FIND anything fun.

Most I know are also working to seat better state government officials... one young chap I know of tried to join his local PAC, ended up getting asked to run for state senator... and said SURE......

crazy place, that..... and getting more so by the month. Next year, ammo restrictions//registration fall on everyone..... it already costs about half again what the same UPC item does up here. And we thought WE had problems getting stuff?

This is really intriguing, the wife and I are going to look into it doing one of these weekends. One question I have for what you posted above is how many chances do you get to qualify during the weekend?
It depends on soooo many things....but it is safe to say..A few on Saturday(Lots and lots of instruction) and quite a few on Sunday(lots and lots of shooting).

^^^^ Shoot a 210 or better on a reduced AQT.

That's forty aimed shots
10 off hand....( 1 mag, 2 minutes)
10 sitting or kneeling...(55 seconds with a mag change, start from standing)
10 rapid fire prone (65 seconds with a mag change, start from standing)
10 slow fire prone ( 1 mag, 5 minutes) this stage scores double for a potential 100 points all other stages are 50 points....on progressively smaller silhouette targets (slow fire prone targets are about 2"x2" for a 3 ring(lowest scoring shot) and 1"x1" for a 5 ring (highest scoring shot) the off hand is about 8"x8" 3ring and 3"x4" 5 ring)
at 25 meters..

There is one offhand silhouette, two sitting/ kneeling, three rapid prone and four slow fire prone so you will need to change your position accordingly..(NPOA.. Natural point of aim)

I've wanted to attend for several years now. A few initial Qs:

What range is this scored course fired at?

I hear bipods are "out" for the prone? (I have a sweet Harris bipod on my PTR 91, but of course it is easily removable if this a slings only shoot, although that 7.62 heavy barrel is hard to hold up after a day at the range, prone, I am ready to try it if that's the plan)

Can a guy use different weapons throughout the day? I would like to use my tricked out 10/22 for the 25 yard, an AR15 or HK93 for the intermediate and my PTR91 for the 500+ yard stuff..)

I like to keep it simple for my lady.. she would use one of her AR15s with a .22 kit for the 25 yard stuff and SS109 for all other ranges

Optics.. what do you recommend for a scope type if we go that route? My gal's guns have Eotechs and reflex sights, but we could get her something in a powered scope for more "click-adjustable friendly" distance shooting, if you recommend it. I know this is rifleman training, not CQC, although she is far more likely to need the CQC stuff in real life, this will be fun and educational for her. My HK type rifles have the claw mounts so I can swap something out in 1 minute.. and can shoot irons with the claw mounted, just one reason I love HK rifles so much. But I ramble..

I understand if you go as a guy/gal team that Appleseed breaks you up and teaches you separately on the range.. if so I think that's a great idea

Oh, they can have them, alright, but its a rough row to hoe, what with all the commipinkolibthought, particularly in Sackamenna......

I know a number of very avid shooters down there. They chafe against all the stupidity, grin and bear it, and shoot on anyway. Most live well outside urban areas, where there are some wide open spaces. My brothers used to head off into an unfenced military reservation to shoot..... found a downed jet fighter in there once, still had the 50mm wing cannon, and fairly full ammo lockers, all intact. They thought about taking one of the cannon and a half ton of ammo... now THAT would be a thing to have. Things have changed a lot since then, though... they can't even GO there any more, let alone FIND anything fun.

Most I know are also working to seat better state government officials... one young chap I know of tried to join his local PAC, ended up getting asked to run for state senator... and said SURE......

crazy place, that..... and getting more so by the month. Next year, ammo restrictions//registration fall on everyone..... it already costs about half again what the same UPC item does up here. And we thought WE had problems getting stuff?

We're from Cali.. we fought the 1989 AWB and then after it passed we realized the place was doomed.. so we hightailed it up here..

Those autocannons would have been going home with yours truly

400px-Hughes-M230-Chain-Gun4.jpg

Wheeler44, I sent an email to appleseed.org a few weeks ago and have not heard anything, so I would like to ask you here.

I am planning to attend my first appleseed event in Oregon in late august along with my father and two brother-in-laws. However, I have a question regarding the sunday shoot--or as I understand it the qualification day shoot.

A little back(pun) story: I was injured playing football when I was i younger(I'm 40 now). I had a lumbar disk rupture and suffered significant nerve damage to the nerves that go to my left leg--now understand that I am not full blown disabled--I can still walk and stand--I go to work everyday, etc. but my balance has suffered greatly. While prepping for appleseed it has become apparent that the free-standing portion of the qualification is going to be impossible for me. I just cannot keep the rifle steady enough to be proficient at long ranges while standing.

My questions are:

I have yet to register. If I cannot do the standing portion, should I even bother registering for the second day of shooting?

If I do register for the second day, can accomodations be made for me to do the shoot. Generally all i require is something to lean on. Can this be done? Note that I do not really care if I get my 'actual' certification. I just really wanna shoot my M1 ;-)

Similarly, the sitting portion may also be difficult as with my advanced degenerative disk condition, this is quite painful. What accomodations can be made for such cases?

Thanks!

Not to step on Mr. Wheeler's toes (and in case he isn't back on the Board for a while), a quick response. Note that I'm not an instructor, just a past attendee.

With your situation, I'd bring a lawnchair to be comfortable in during the lecture/history periods.

Most of the shooting is done from the prone position, with some sitting and offhand, and with open sights. That said, the instructors did accommodate the older students by allowing the use of riflescopes, if needed, with no point penalty. I'm certain there will be no issue if you need to assist your shooting with whatever physical support you need. Its a fun event filled with history amd comradarie, not a boot camp, and the instructors act accordingly...that is, they are very pleasant folks to learn from.

Best of luck to you :).

Keith

Hello,

I'm an instructor in training for Appleseed and have taught a couple times up in Castle Rock. I will try to answer your questions.

I am planning to attend my first appleseed event in Oregon in late august along with my father and two brother-in-laws. However, I have a question regarding the sunday shoot--or as I understand it the qualification day shoot.

Excellent! We welcome all of you. You will have a good time.

While prepping for appleseed it has become apparent that the free-standing portion of the qualification is going to be impossible for me. I just cannot keep the rifle steady enough to be proficient at long ranges while standing.

Wheeler can hopefully answer the questions in more detail, but let me give you my take. The standing portion of the qualification does not count nearly as much as the sitting and (most importantly) prone stages. You can do poorly on the standing stage and still score well enough to qualify. Also remember that the standing stage is one of the longest stages so even if you just take your time and fire off five reasonable shots (out of 10) over the two minutes you'll still pick up enough points to give you good breathing room.

Appleseed has been making efforts to accommodate all shooters, even those with physical challenges that make the positional shooting harder. The instructors will work with you on your situation. Nobody is ever turned away if they want to learn how to shoot.

I have yet to register. If I cannot do the standing portion, should I even bother registering for the second day of shooting?

Yes, do both days. I've seen people do one day and it's just enough to get the fundamentals down but not lock everything in. You will learn the basics and have so much information drilled into you that you'll find by the next day your mind (and body) have been able to soak it up and your shooting performance will be much better than the day before. The second day really allows you to cement your skills and you will get tons of practice in good rifle form. I would not skip it because I think you'll find that the first day can be frustrating as you are learning and using your equipment in new ways. But the second day you will see dramatic improvements as everything comes together.

If I do register for the second day, can accomodations be made for me to do the shoot. Generally all i require is something to lean on. Can this be done? Note that I do not really care if I get my 'actual' certification. I just really wanna shoot my M1 ;-)

Wheeler can give specifics. I would say though to not bring the M1 for the basic training day. Bring a .22 because you will be shooting hundreds of rounds at relatively close range (25 meters). You don't want the recoil to beat you up or cause you to break your form. On the second day if you feel like it then by all means bring out the M1 if you want to try. But I would work with a smaller caliber first because it's important to get the rifle fundamentals down and the bigger recoil can just make it harder.

But if the M1 is all you have that is fine too. There are usually several shooters doing high power. I just saw a shoot going on at Douglas Ridge that will go out to 250. If that course of fire is involved, then yes the M1 would be a good choice to have.

Also, make sure whatever rifle(s) you bring have a basic USGI web sling on them. Leave the super padded Uncle Mike's stuff at home. We use the sling first and foremost for stabilizing the weapon in your position. Carrying comfort is a secondary consideration.

Similarly, the sitting portion may also be difficult as with my advanced degenerative disk condition, this is quite painful. What accomodations can be made for such cases?

Can you do kneeling? That is acceptable as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top