JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to hear from anyone familiar with the Appleseed events, particularly the ones in Redmond, WA.

I have read the website and search info, generally get it. I see they have a 1/2 day intro and then 2-day events. I think I am more interested in the 2-day for my step-son and I.

More deets:

We went down to a CMP high-power class/shoot in OR late spring and loved it. Looking for marksmanship training like that and this seems a good fit. I have a fair number of questions and wondering if anyone here has experience.

I have done it twice, though not at that specific location (I was at Douglas Ridge, in Oregon, taught by @Kimber Custom). I cannot recommend it enough. In addition to significantly improving my rifle marksmanship, I was also able to take lessons learned about the "Natural Point of Aim" and apply them to handgun and archery shooting as well. I happily went a second time and got a lot out of that second round as well. Money and time well spent!

I have also attended two Appleseed events in Oregon at Douglas Ridge, same location as the CMP high power clinic. I also attended the CMP clinic and believe that I got more out of it because of the Appleseed training. Besides the shooting instruction you get a healthy dose of US history which is also worthwhile.

The Appleseed events are structured in a way that you learn, get to practice what you learned and then take a break with some history. Throughout the two days you are constantly reinforcing the skills that you have learned while adding new skills. Skill levels of the attendees is all over the board and the instructors do a great job providing an appropriate level of attention to each shooter.

Equipment wise, make sure that you have a shooting mat and kneeling roll along with of course your eyes and ears. In the classes that I attended there were some folks that brought out their AR 15s but the majority of shooters were using 10/22s. You can get by with two magazines but four with a spare or two will make your life easier as you reload for the next string. Also, depending on your age and eyes, an optic on your rifle will help a lot. My first class I went with irons and the whole bottom line of target's looked like a red blur and I ended up borrowing a rifle with an optic. I built my own rifle for the second class with a 4x optic. At 25 yards, 4x seems to work the best.

As Joshkk said, money and time well spent. I hope to be doing another later this year.

Right, we went to that CMP class/shoot in May at Douglas Ridge. Great time.

Given the amount of ammo to burn through, that might be smarter to use a .22LR. My dad has a M&P 15-22 - maybe give that to my step-son and an excuse for me to get a .22 upper for one of my ARs. The only other .22 I have is a Marlin model 60 tube-fed I got when I was like 12 years old - don't think that would be ideal. ;) I just put a single-stage trigger in one AR so maybe a .22 upper on that would be ideal. Shooting .22LR would make it a lot more economical, as I'd also get a hotel room for the night, and they are not cheap around there.

How far out do they shoot? We both shot the (albeit thinner - the front post on those is .050" vs .070" standard, I believe) RRA CMP guns ok w/iron sights at 200 at Douglas Ridge. However I am older so an optic sounds wise.

ARs work, but one thing to remember...make sure that you have short magazines for them. You'll be shooting prone and 30 round length mags don't work well in that position and you won't qualify your score if you use it as a monopod. Tube fed magazines and/or bolt rifles will put you at a disadvantage as most of the drills have a timed, mandatory reload.

You'll use about 400 - 500 rounds in a two day event so .22LR is much more economical.

All shooting is at 25 yards unless the event is
listed as a known distance class. At 25 yards the target sizes are adjusted to simulate different distances. The 400 yard silhouette is only 1.5 inches wide and an inch tall. I tried with irons and close together they looked like a blur. For the same reason a 4x is the most magnification you want because any more with targets that small
and you won't be able to hold it steady enough to make the shot. Make sure whatever rifle you decide to bring is sighted in at 25 yards before you get there.

Right, we went to that CMP class/shoot in May at Douglas Ridge. Great time.

Given the amount of ammo to burn through, that might be smarter to use a .22LR. My dad has a M&P 15-22 - maybe give that to my step-son and an excuse for me to get a .22 upper for one of my ARs. The only other .22 I have is a Marlin model 60 tube-fed I got when I was like 12 years old - don't think that would be ideal. ;) I just put a single-stage trigger in one AR so maybe a .22 upper on that would be ideal. Shooting .22LR would make it a lot more economical, as I'd also get a hotel room for the night, and they are not cheap around there.

How far out do they shoot? We both shot the (albeit thinner - the front post on those is .050" vs .070" standard, I believe) RRA CMP guns ok w/iron sights at 200 at Douglas Ridge. However I am older so an optic sounds wise.
Last I heard, 15 22s weren't allowed at Appleseed.

Last I heard, 15 22s weren't allowed at Appleseed.
The gun itself isn't banned, they just want you to check your bolt for compliance. AppleseedLink

2. We are pleased to announce that Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 firearms may be used at Project Appleseed clinics beginning August 1st, 2021. However, owners must comply with the Smith & Wesson Safety Alert. We will make every effort to have a S&W Bolt Inspection Gauge on-hand for owners to check their bolts for compliance. You are encouraged to check the following links to the Smith & Wesson websites for information about the issues and how to check the M&P 15-22 bolt to determine that it is within specification

Smith&WessonLink

Appleseed is a poorly named, fantastic training opportunity. The name implies it's a women and kids beginner program. It is not. It's frankly overwhelming to most brand-new shooters. It is fundamental rifle marksmanship techniques that will teach you how to engage a 20" target out to 500 yards. It's a fast-paced, crash course in prone, sitting or kneeling, and standing. You go through around 400 rounds in a typical two-day event.

The Redmond range is a great facility. Andy runs those events, and he has a lot of experience. The club provides some pop-ups and has an indoor meeting space for lunch and bathrooms. It's about a 100y walk up a grade if you have mobility concerns, it might not be the best facility to shoot at.

I believe every rifle owner should go through an Appleseed clinic. It's an inexpensive way to figure out what you don't know. Your worst-case scenario is two days on the range shooting 400 rounds, intentionally working on honing your skills. That's more than most people do in their entire shooting life.

Perhaps every American should attend just for the history primer to understand how we got the liberties and freedoms we take for granted today.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top