JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello ...My name is Wheeler44 and I'm an Appleseed instructor....this thread is here to answer any questions about Appleseed that you may have..

What? You say that you haven't heard of Project Appleseed?

Then go to RWVA.org and learn all about it..

Wheeler44

We want to go to our first Appleseed this spring. My girlfriend and daughter each have a Ruger 10/22 without a sling. The RWVA website says to bring a "GI Style Web Sling." What exactly is this? Any particular width, with or without a pad on it, etc? What do we NOT want in a sling?

Is my AR-15 a good choice for me to use at Appleseed? How about a sling for it? I'm guessing a single point sling would not be what's recommended...

are there any unannounced Appleseeds in Oregon for 2010?

I first heard of the Appleseed when I was trying to find new sights for my 10/22. I didn't like the stock sights, but I wanted to shoot iron sights. A few google searches and I came across an "appleseed trainer" rifle, and it was exactly the sort of configuration I was wanting. Here's a picture of mine:

twoclones: the sling I have on mine is just a war surplus cotton M1 sling. I bought two of them from sportsmansguide for $25 with shipping. I am pretty sure it will work fine.

Speelyai... that's a nice trainer ya got there...and yep that's a GI web sling...and click adjustable peep sights.. together they make a perfect set up to to learn the fundamentals of rifle shooting...

There is a lot of information about training rifles on the RWVA forum...Different makes and models and set ups to adapt the rifles geometry to the shooters geometry..

twoclones...expect to shoot about 500 rounds at a full two day Appleseed..Most folks find success by shooting a good portion using a trainer like Speelyai's for most of the shoot and then applying what they've learned with their centerfire..

But I've seen lots of folks shoot the whole course with centerfire..I even saw a guy in Wyoming shoot the whole thing with a Rem. 30-06 bolt action..

If you can adapt and persist, you can do anything..

W44

OK. I understand the sling now and I've been planning on putting better sights on the 10/22s.

As far as sighting in the rifles, RWVA.org says, "You should function-test your rifle and, if possible, have it zeroed for 200 yards; but if you don't or can't, adjust your sights so your group prints 3" above point of aim at 100 yds, and mark your sights with paint, magic marker, or fingernail polish."

Is this even possible with a .22lr? If not, what should I be doing to get my girl's rifles ready?

Depending on the range, most of the shoots are mostly at 25 yards..Only moving to a greater distance as the shooter progresses..If the range and time allow...There is a lot to absorb in two days.... So to answer your question..Sight the .22's at 25 yards POI=POA

For those that may not know..We recently held a shoot on a Military Base for deploying troops..Pretty exciting to be helping deploying troops that way...

Wheeler44

Branchbuster; We are trying to get some scheduled in OR...We could always use help though...

Itgoesboom; Lots of folks ( especially those of us with "more experienced" eyes ) use scopes... Having an adjustable objective scope (down to 25 yards or meters) helps, but is not necessary.

W44

I attended one in August and it was great.

However, I would strongly recommend having your rifle sighted-in already, there really wasn't time allowed for that. And yes, have a sling, it is used A LOT.

I really enjoyed RL, our instructor, and his assistants...knew their stuff but weren't arrogant either.

Specifically, we need venues....If you know of a friendly range PM me the info....Or if you know a rural land owner that is willing to host we can provide insurance...

We are talking to Tri-county right now....If you are a member there, call the board of directors and show your support.

We are also working with a propoerty owner at Seal Rock..He has a great place..Room for distance shooting and room to camp..It needs some improvement....We will get a work party together...PM me if you are interested in helping with that.

When a private landowner dedicates a range for us (like in Castle Rock) we are able to schedule more shoots..

Basically...If we find a place to shoot..RWVA does the rest..

W44

Ok.. Ok.. I can see now that we have a good number of good people that want Appleseed....I'm going to round up a volunteer to help coordinate canvassing ranges in OR.... I'll see if one of the local RWVA folks can help with it...

If anyone wants to help coordinate this PM me.

W44

...this thread is here to answer any questions about Appleseed that you may have.
Hey, this sounds very cool. I'm already interested and just fwd'd the info to my kid to see if he'd be up for it. I saw on the RWVA site that there isn't any age restriction, beyond a parent's judgement that the kids are mature enough.

We're both novices, so would need some prep/practice in handling rifles before attending. It sounded like the keys are getting the rifle sighted in, getting loose enough to fire prone, and rapid reloading.

Questions:

o I only have ready access to a .22 rifle. (Tube magazine, pump.) Would this be usable at the 500 yd distances? My brother was asking me just last night what distance a .22 rifle could reasonably/accurately shoot to, and I was guessing not nearly this far.

o I saw in the checklist, bring your copy of "Fred’s Guide to becoming a Rifleman". Is this the book from "FredsM14Stocks.com".

o I thought I read something about camping for the 2-day session. Is this a part of the training? If a session comes together at TCGC, I'd be within about 20 minutes of there and would much prefer to sleep in my own bed.

Thanks for posting the info, this sounds really interesting.

MrB

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top