JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, this sounds very cool. I'm already interested and just fwd'd the info to my kid to see if he'd be up for it. I saw on the RWVA site that there isn't any age restriction, beyond a parent's judgement that the kids are mature enough.

We're both novices, so would need some prep/practice in handling rifles before attending. It sounded like the keys are getting the rifle sighted in, getting loose enough to fire prone, and rapid reloading.

Questions:

o I only have ready access to a .22 rifle. (Tube magazine, pump.) Would this be usable at the 500 yd distances? My brother was asking me just last night what distance a .22 rifle could reasonably/accurately shoot to, and I was guessing not nearly this far.

o I saw in the checklist, bring your copy of "Fred's Guide to becoming a Rifleman". Is this the book from "FredsM14Stocks.com".

o I thought I read something about camping for the 2-day session. Is this a part of the training? If a session comes together at TCGC, I'd be within about 20 minutes of there and would much prefer to sleep in my own bed.

Thanks for posting the info, this sounds really interesting.

MrB

Well, a few answers :) ...

You can use any rifle for an Appleseeds you feel comfortable with, but the recommended rifle is an autoloader like a Ruger 10-22 with a few extra spare magazines for reload drills.

Sight your rifle in for 25 yards. The program simulates 500 yard shooting at 25 yards, making the .22 ideal. Simulates...? To your eyes, a 1" square at 25 yards has the same apparent size as a 4" square at 100 yards as a 20" square at 500 yards. This is 4 minutes of angle, the grouping size you will be working towards achieving during Appleseed. In essence, the only principle of true 500 yard shooting you will not be able to practice accurately at 25 yards is of windage adjustments. There are several good, free Army and Marine Corps shooting manuals obtainable online that give you a good primer to this.

Appleseed is the inspiration/creation of Fred from Fred's M14 Stocks, all materials, booklets, etc. originate from Fred's.

Camping is not part of the training. You can certainly go home at night. What IS part of the training is shooting in whatever weather nature chooses to bestow on a particular event. No sunshine warriors here :winkkiss: .

I've been to one Appleseed with my daughter, and since then have consistently practiced using the principles taught. I shoot all sorts of rifles... Finn bolt actions, Soviet autoloaders, USGI, and the principles are the same regardless of weapon. My shooting has improved dramaticallly. Although I didn't qualify as a Rifleman on that shoot, I have run through the AQT on my own and consistently achieved that result.

I can't recommend it enough. As soon as I get back to Portland from my exile in the high desert, I'll be attending again.

Keith

Are non-Americans welcome?
I'm British and I would like to attend as a participant (and not a target!)
:)

Well...one of the targets is called...a 'redcoat' (no kidding :s0131: ) :s0114: . And there is emphasis on the historical context of firearms use during the Revolutionary War. But as long as you can handle that, I'm sure you would be heartily welcome :s0155: .

Keith

Is Castle Rock the closest one you have near Vancouver?
At this time... we're working on other venues though...
Keith pretty much summed it up...At Castle Rock we're limited to 25 meters...When possible we shoot full distance...Whatever the range has...
Freds' guide is not a necessity....a good shooting mat or pad is..

Brits are welcome if they can take a good natured ribbin'...I think that one of my favorite shooters posts here occasional and he and his lovely wife hail from the UK ... both are riflemen if I remember right...

The Castle Rock range is about an hour and fifteen from the I-5 bridge..

W44

I live over here so I get a good natured ribbin' every year on July 4! :)

You must be referring to tac.

I was a rifleman once - British army and RAF (infantry). Maybe we'll see if my 12 years of cadet, reserve and active duty = 12 years of bad habits to break, or if they will actually help me!

That might be the first time I've heard Portland referred to as salvation from the high-desert...

No, Portland is certainly not my sanctuary of choice :s0114: . But for now, my family and home is here, and the nature of my work is too temporary to consider a move. Trust me, I much prefer the high desert to the Peoples' Republic of Portland.

Keith

Amazing that there are several scheduled in CA... I didn't think those serfs were allowed to have any shootin' iron?? :D

Looks like a great thing to take the kid to. :s0155:

I only have ready access to a .22 rifle. (Tube magazine, pump.) Would this be usable at the 500 yd distances? My brother was asking me just last night what distance a .22 rifle could reasonably/accurately shoot to, and I was guessing not nearly this far.

The program simulates 500 yard shooting at 25 yards, making the .22 ideal.

At Castle Rock we're limited to 25 meters...When possible we shoot full distance...Whatever the range has...
If an event comes together at TCGC, they do have up to a 600 yd range. (I have no idea whether they'd dedicate it to this event.) So back to my question, would the .22 even be usable at this distance, or would everyone shooting at the full distance be moved up to higher calibers? I'm just trying to learn a little more.

MrB

Gosh I've never used a .22 at those distances, but with the weight of the bullet I'd better be an absolutely calm day to hit anything out that far. I've got some .22 tracer, I'll have to take some to my 450 yard range and see what's possible.

At those distances, a .30 caliber would probably be the better choice.

Keith

So back to my question, would the .22 even be usable at this distance, or would everyone shooting at the full distance be moved up to higher calibers? I'm just trying to learn a little more.
The short answer is no......If the range allows it you will have the opportunity to shoot your .22 at 100 yds...doping wind and trajectory at 100 yds. with a .22 is good practice for centerfire at more distance....If the range allows it shooters will have the opportunity to shoot centerfire at longer, even the 600 yd....if the range allows it....there is a general meeting on Wed..Monkey man and possibly another member plan on speaking to the Board....Maybe other members might want to go as well..

W44

Albany Rifle and Pistol Club (ARPC) would be a nice place to approach for hosting an Appleseed. They are active in shooting sports, and the USPSA's Youth Coordinator is the XO there. They do lots of promotional stuff for young shooters. The club has the proper attitude, I think.

The Emerald Empire Gun Club in Marcola has a 200 yd range that is lightly scheduled. I'm a member there and friendly with the current club president, this range is involved with YHEC and would also likely be favorable, and they want to increase use and interest in shooting sports. Let me know if you want to pursue something at Emerald Empire and would like some ground work or info. I'd like to attend one of these.

Ben

I think ARPC would be a great place for an event.

I would love to attend one. I would probably shoot my ar15 w/ a .22 conversion for most of it, and then use the same rifle later.

wg

i think arpc would be a great place for an event. if you're a member, get it on the boards agenda..if not...find someone who is..

i would love to attend one. I would probably shoot my ar15 w/ a .22 conversion for most of it, and then use the same rifle later. an excellent idea... I hope to meet you soon..

wg

w44

Where can I get Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman? It's mentioned a dozen times on fredsm14stocks.com but I haven't found where I can buy or download it.

Go back to Fred's website. Buy the 25 meter targets and Rifleman Guide for $16.00. You'll need the targets to practice with at the range. They are not standard bullseye targets and you can't get anything similar in stores. Well worth it.

I'd recommend upgrading and getting the kit with the additional AQT targets for $26, this way you can accurately gauge your progress over time by running the same timed course taught at the Appleseeds.

<broken link removed>

Keith

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top