JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Project Appleseed will be at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club next weekend, November 10/11th. This will be our last event for the year at DRRC. Once the 2013 Appleseed schedule is posted, we will get the dates for next year posted. Please see the current event listing at 2012 Eagle Creek, OR Appleseed Information

We still have 15 spaces on the line, but the event is filling up fast. Make plans to come out and learn the techniques to shoot to 4 minutes of angle from the unsupported prone position using a GI web sling for support. Appleseed also teaches the proper body alignment (we call them steady hold factors) for the sitting/kneeling position and the standing (off hand) position.

Appleseed will also give you a good dose of Revolutionary War history, as we try and reconnect American citizens to the heritage of our country. We highlight the sacrifices that the founders of our country made to secure our freedoms and liberties from tyranny.

I look forward to seeing a good group of Patriotic Americans at DRRC next weekend.

I'm still trying to collect gear (knee / elbow pads, shooting mats, etc.), but I'm excited. So are my fiancee and her daughter. Wish me luck; with my recent flinch from shooting a .308 FAL SBR and bad trigger habits from duck hunting with a crappy shotgun trigger, I'm afraid they'll both out-shoot me (they're both beginners, so much easier to teach).

I did a nice Winterseed up in Pelham, NH back in January, it's a good time, a good event and stellar drill practice for marksmanship.

I won't be attending an Appleseed any time soon, but they're great fun, and great work.

Some advice: Don't worry about a mat, going cheap with carpet remnants and a tarp is perfect, especially when conditions are less than perfect. It's also better to get through a string than to leave shots incomplete. Also, make sure you have a good sling, makes offhand shooting much easier, someone may mention a single loop sling, which are great if you're into competition shooting, but a two point leather sling is both cheap and practical.

Good luck!

Beefcake, DRRC has a bunch of carpet squares that can be borrowed if you don't have your own shooting matt and harbor freight has functional pads for <$5 for the knees. Folded towels/t-shirts work for the elbows.

You can work out some of that trigger control with this drill while watching TV.

1. Put the rifle accross your lap and put the first pad of your trigger finder as low as you can on the trigger. Make sure no other part of your trigger finger is touching the stock (aka dragging wood). Once your finger is on the trigger it should not leave until your sights are no longer on the target.
2. Then breath in, breath out (natual breathing rythem, no need to exagerate it), while at the bottom of the breath pause (don't hold your breath just pause; your body does this naturally) and start squeezing the trigger.
3. When you hear the click a> pin the trigger back; don't let go b> with your off hand cycle the action of the rifle c>breath in and gradually release pressure on the trigger until you feel the reset click. Don't let any more pressure off the trigger than necessary.
4. rinse and repeat (breath in, breath out, squeeze, click, keep the trigger pinned back (follow through), cycle the action, breath in, reset the trigger, breath out, squeeze, click, follow through, cycle the action etc.)

Practice that and you will be way ahead of the game come Sat.

It's also better to get through a string than to leave shots incomplete. Also, make sure you have a good sling, makes offhand shooting much easier, someone may mention a single loop sling, which are great if you're into competition shooting, but a two point leather sling is both cheap and practical.

davemata, I have to disagree with you here; you can't miss fast enough. One of our mantras is only hits count. We do say don't fuss the shot (don't let perfect get in the way of good enough) and shoot in riflemans cadance (one shot every 3-4 seconds). Stage 2 and 3 go by very quickly but 7 or 8 solid hits and a quality stage 1 & 4 where time is not a factor will make Rifleman every time.

I also find the leather slings difficult to work with. There is not enough adjustabiity to use them properly in prone position. The GI web sling is ~$10 and gives you the best of all worlds. Hasty for standing and loop for prone.

I also find the leather slings difficult to work with. There is not enough adjustabiity to use them properly in prone position. The GI web sling is ~$10 and gives you the best of all worlds. Hasty for standing and loop for prone.
What about leather GI-style hook slings? I ended up with 4 of them recently (bought one, was given one, then got 2 more in a trade). One of them feels too stiff to use easily, but the other 3 seem like they should work as well as a web sling. Any thoughts?

I use the leather GI style hook slings, they're great, especially if you intend to shoot in the field. Kept care of, they'll outdo a web and smell better.

Kimber - fair, that could be a different approach, drill suggestions in Pelham were different from what you wrote. :) I think it's sound though, when you keep in mind that you need to finish the string you tend to not hold on a single shot for too long.

For Pelham we were told bring 10s, but bring a lot of them.

I took 6, and shared with some folks. You definitely want to have 5 if you can, 5 10 rounders.

If the large cap mags stick out too far, think about what that is going to do to you while in prone. Oh, if you have a speed loader, bring it.

What about leather GI-style hook slings? I ended up with 4 of them recently (bought one, was given one, then got 2 more in a trade). One of them feels too stiff to use easily, but the other 3 seem like they should work as well as a web sling. Any thoughts?

I believe those are refered to as 1907 slings and they work fine. You can still use them in loop mode. When I heard 'leather sling' I was thinking of a typical hunters sling. You should do fine with the 1907's.

I use the leather GI style hook slings, they're great, especially if you intend to shoot in the field. Kept care of, they'll outdo a web and smell better.

Kimber - fair, that could be a different approach, drill suggestions in Pelham were different from what you wrote. :) I think it's sound though, when you keep in mind that you need to finish the string you tend to not hold on a single shot for too long.

There is a fine line between 'miss fast enough' and 'don't fuss the shot'. I personally push hard on the 7 or 8 5's is better than 10 3's or worse.

Does anyone who has gone to one of these know if they sell any of the Appleseed merch. at the shoot? For example, some of things here: <broken link removed>

Sometimes; as instructors we frequently bring slings to sell for around $10 each and sometimes the shoot boss will sell extra t-shirts/targets/patches & stickers to help raise money. What in particular are you looking for?

:( But thanks for letting me know.

Another question-- the list of "things to bring" mentions 10 and 20 rnd mags. Is there specifically a reason for this, or are larger capacity mags acceptable? I have some 25 rnd mags I would bring.

You will be asked to prep: 13 rounds for the red coat (10/3 split between two mags is fine), 5 rounds for sighter squares, 10 rounds for stage 1 & 4 of the AQT and 2/8 for stage 2 & 3 of the AQT. Sometimes we will do a Rapid Fire AQT where you will prep 4 mags with 10 rounds and shoot all four stages of the AQT in 4min. These are somewhat rare since not everyone will bring 4 magazines. Bottom line is you will want a minimum of 2 10 round magazines. Whatever else you bring is gravy.

Sometimes; as instructors we frequently bring slings to sell for around $10 each and sometimes the shoot boss will sell extra t-shirts/targets/patches & stickers to help raise money. What in particular are you looking for?
I was mainly looking at a sling and maybe a challenge coin. Right now I'm thinking I'll try to pick up a sling ahead of time to make sure I have one.

You will be asked to prep: 13 rounds for the red coat (10/3 split between two mags is fine), 5 rounds for sighter squares, 10 rounds for stage 1 & 4 of the AQT and 2/8 for stage 2 & 3 of the AQT. Sometimes we will do a Rapid Fire AQT where you will prep 4 mags with 10 rounds and shoot all four stages of the AQT in 4min. These are somewhat rare since not everyone will bring 4 magazines. Bottom line is you will want a minimum of 2 10 round magazines. Whatever else you bring is gravy.
Thanks for the info, I'll plan on picking up a couple more 10 round mags. Also, what is AQT?

Army Qualifying Test It's where we put all of the skills we teach you to the test.

We shoot it in 4 stages.
1st stage 10 rounds standing at the top target: 2min.
2nd stage transition from standing to sitting and load 2 rounds from one mag and put 2 rounds in the left target, reload 3 more rounds in the left target, 5 rounds right target: 55s
3rd stage transition from standing to prone and load 2 rounds from one mag and put 2 rounds in the left target, reload 1 more round in the left target, 3 in the middle target and 4 in the right target: 65s
4th stage is done all in prone with one 10 round mag. 2, 2, 3, 3: 5min (although frequently trimmed to 3 or 4 but rarely is that much time needed)

There are a possible 250 points (bottom row counts double). Scores over 210 make rifleman. ~10% make it and frequently that is on the 2nd or 3rd Appleseed.

Here's my personal best shot today :D

IMAG0337.jpg

I believe those are refered to as 1907 slings and they work fine. You can still use them in loop mode. When I heard 'leather sling' I was thinking of a typical hunters sling. You should do fine with the 1907's.
Thanks. I watched a video that showed how to use them, but it seemed more complicated so I bought 3 of the nylon GI slings tonight. I don't want complicated equipment to hinder us from learning what we need to learn. See you Saturday!

I always have extra slings and swivels for sale at the events I attend. I like to be able to supply them to students that neglected to read up on what items you need to bring to an Appleseed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top