JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I and 18 others participated in the inaugural Lever Action Rifle Match at Four Corners Rod & Gun Club on Saturday, 18 February. Despite my humbling experience and shortfall in performance due to my failure to be attentive to detail in Stage 1 (inadvertently loading 44-40 cartridges in my .44Magnum Winchester 94AE) which caused repeated failures to chamber, and substandard marksmanship in Stage 2 I hope that FCGC will continue with this match. It was well designed, efficiently run, and the monitoring of safety was up to their usual standard of excellence. Match fee was $5 for members and $10 for guests.

Par time for each stage was 30 seconds for a 5 round string. Stage 1 was run 3 times for each shooter after loading only 5 rounds per run. Stage 2 was shortened to a single run due to the length of time taken to complete Stage 1 that included a delay to disperse a group of deer that came onto the range. Movement was an option but had to be accomplished with an empty chamber or with a spent round chambered. There were 2 participants who used optics everyone else was on iron sights and calibers ranged from .22L to .45-70. I was up first in Stage 1 but shot second in Stage 2 and in the intervening time, again due to failing to pay attention to detail (didn't bring gloves or hand warmers) the last 2 fingers of each hand were numb from the cold and wind by that time.

Stage 1 was shot on (5) 1/3 sized IPSC targets, 2 pairs and a single, angled or obscured from open view at distances of 15-20yards. The shooters with optics had one pair placed at 50rds. To shoot clean 3 hits on each target was required and misses incurred a 5sec penalty.

Stage 2 was adjusted from (2) 1/3 sized IPSC targets to a single one angled and obscured at 12yds and (3) sporting clays hung on a line at 10yds from the start position. Each of the clays required an obvious break to be scored and the IPSC required 2 hits. Each miss added 5secs to end time.

I was quite surprised that I wasn't last on the score sheet which FCGC has put online. I believe that FCGC will again be holding an Introduction to Action Pistol Shooting, which I have previously debriefed here, on Saturday 4 March at 0900 but check their web site for confirmation.

Last Edited:
I really wanted to go to this but illness in the family halted it. My young son even had a family friend who was willing to let him use an original 45-70 "pumpkin roller" in it. Sounds really fun and hope to be healthier next time it comes around. How many people showed up?

I really wanted to go to this but illness in the family halted it. My young son even had a family friend who was willing to let him use an original 45-70 "pumpkin roller" in it. Sounds really fun and hope to be healthier next time it comes around. How many people showed up?
19 participated.

I and 18 others participated in the inaugural Lever Action Rifle Match at Four Corners Rod & Gun Club on Saturday, 18 February. Despite my humbling experience and shortfall in performance due to my failure to be attentive to detail in Stage 1 (inadvertently loading 44-40 cartridges in my .44Magnum Winchester 94AE) which caused repeated failures to chamber, and substandard marksmanship in Stage 2 I hope that FCGC will continue with this match. It was well designed, efficiently run, and the monitoring of safety was up to their usual standard of excellence. Match fee was $5 for members and $10 for guests.

Par time for each stage was 30 seconds for a 5 round string. Stage 1 was run 3 times for each shooter after loading only 5 rounds per run. Stage 2 was shortened to a single run due to the length of time taken to complete Stage 1 that included a delay to disperse a group of deer that came onto the range. Movement was an option but had to be accomplished with an empty chamber or with a spent round chambered. There were 2 participants who used optics everyone else was on iron sights and calibers ranged from .22L to .45-70. I was up first in Stage 1 but shot second in Stage 2 and in the intervening time, again due to failing to pay attention to detail (didn't bring gloves or hand warmers) the last 2 fingers of each hand were numb from the cold and wind by that time.

Stage 1 was shot on (5) 1/3 sized IPSC targets, 2 pairs and a single, angled or obscured from open view at distances of 15-20yards. The shooters with optics had one pair placed at 50rds. To shoot clean 3 hits on each target was required and misses incurred a 5sec penalty.

Stage 2 was adjusted from (2) 1/3 sized IPSC targets to a single one angled and obscured at 12yds and (3) sporting clays hung on a line at 10yds from the start position. Each of the clays required an obvious break to be scored and the IPSC required 2 hits. Each miss added 5secs to end time.

I was quite surprised that I wasn't last on the score sheet which FCGC has put online. I believe that FCGC will again be holding an Introduction to Action Pistol Shooting, which I have previously debriefed here, on Saturday 4 March at 0900 but check their web site for confirmation.
That sounds like a blast!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads