JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, since my earlier post, my car pool friend has let the upgrade run, and my USMC Sgt has let the upgrade run. Both are very happy guys and like the OS a lot. I have it running on a test machine on the bench in the garage, and it is pretty cool. I still think I'll hold off on the upgrade and go for a new Skylake machine and clean install after the first of the year, but keep in mind we all have many months to decide.

For everyone that's concerned about 'security', there are several links that show how to shut the tracking and feedback off. Here's a good one:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/9075531/windows-10-privacy-how-to

I put 'security' in quotes because in this digital age, basically there none. If you don't think your every browser hit, every application upgrade, every on line purchase is tracked and data mined......well, you're being naive. The only way I know how to avoid this is to have a computer that's not connected to the internet. Best advice I can give, if you're really concerned, is make no purchases, and do nothing on the net that you wouldn't want to see on a billboard....because that's basically what your every move on the net becomes.

In 1998, Scott McNealy, the chairman of Sun Microsystems, was testifying before congress on market power and structural change in the software industry. He made the following statement;

"....You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it....".

It's more true than you may want to believe.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and I'm really happy with it.

I've done what I can so far to limit what gets sent back to Microsoft, but I'm sure they still collect plenty.

I run Win 7 / 64 , and still love XP Pro and Win 2000. I also have an older PC that I emulated for 80's and 90's pc games. I actually have not seen any real reason to up to 8 or 10. We have 6 pc's in the house.
I am pretty techy having written code and programming, but I really am not a fluff pc guy. I like the solidness of Unix/Linux and even the old Dos 6.22 which I have disks and manuals still in sealed packages o_O, even have my win 3.11 software and everything in between, but I stopped at 7 as I didnt see and still have not seen any benefits yet to 8 or 10.

I've got 5. 4 Pc's and 1 tablet all running 10, and it is just fine. Not really any problem to speak of, considering.

I had an Alienware 14 have problems, and I took it back to 8.1. Then re-did it later, and since has been running great.

Nothing is free.
Win 10 tracks EVERYTHING you do! It is a blatant data mining program. They profile you and sell the info to whoever will buy it. Anything on your computer belongs to Microsoft.
Once you have infected your computer with this horrible program, you will see I'm right.
I can see right now, biased on the comments, that with a little lipstick on this pig - I'm gonna get top dollar!

Hugely better than 8. Though 8 really sucked, so that's not much of a compliment. 10 does boot up fast. Seems like driver issues have been resolved. Cortana doesn't have as good a sense of humor as Siri though. I asked Siri who was better, her or Cortana. Her reply, "That's like comparing apples and windows."

10 was driving me crazy! I had lost the Snipping Tool and Paint and some other stuff. On the Start menu under file explorer you could find them but they wouldn't load.
Found the fix by copy and pasting this C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories in the search box.

Then I had to put them on my task bar so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle every time.

Learned how to from this link.http://www.howto-connect.com/find-accessories-in-windows-10-only-in-single-step/

Still having trouble opening some video files and some docs as 10 has changed all my defaults.
Wish I never changed over but I was sick of the pop up telling me to.

I opted out of as much of the tracking as possible which probably puts the NSA snoopers looking at you with extra gusto!

Win10 for snip tool, etc

in the Cortina search type in: snip

Many other tools can launch the same way

regedit

perfmon.msc

and so forth.

for Paint, go on line and download paint.net
much better - free (as in Free Beer)
it is not photoshop.

I tried this, solitaire did not run. Home grown system, my Win7 was from a DVD install - not a pre-installed system.
I suppose you could copy sol.exe from your W7 machine and it'd work just fine......:rolleyes:

Win10 for snip tool, etc

in the Cortina search type in: snip

Many other tools can launch the same way

regedit

perfmon.msc

and so forth.

for Paint, go on line and download paint.net
much better - free (as in Free Beer)
it is not photoshop.

I tried this, solitaire did not run. Home grown system, my Win7 was from a DVD install - not a pre-installed system.
I opted out of Cortina and most of the other what I felt was xtra Tracking stuff.
That's probably why I am having a few problems.

Via Glenn Reynolds

"SO THE TECH COMPANIES ARE JUST AN ARM OF THE GOVERNMENT NOW: Windows 10 covertly sends your disk-encryption keys to Microsoft. And under the "third party doctrine," the government can get them from Microsoft without a warrant. But wait, there's more:

Windows 10 has many unprecedented anti-user features: a remote killswitch that lets it disable your hardware; keylogging and browser-history logging that, by default, sends it all to Microsoft, and a deceptive "privacy mode" that continues to exfiltrate your data, even when you turn it on.

I don't trust these guys."

Many comments at the link
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/222620/

Via Glenn Reynolds

"SO THE TECH COMPANIES ARE JUST AN ARM OF THE GOVERNMENT NOW: Windows 10 covertly sends your disk-encryption keys to Microsoft. And under the "third party doctrine," the government can get them from Microsoft without a warrant. But wait, there's more:

Windows 10 has many unprecedented anti-user features: a remote killswitch that lets it disable your hardware; keylogging and browser-history logging that, by default, sends it all to Microsoft, and a deceptive "privacy mode" that continues to exfiltrate your data, even when you turn it on.

I don't trust these guys."

Many comments at the link
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/222620/

None of this is actually new.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show