Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone using Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I haven't upgraded yet, but I've heard good things. Happy they're offering the free upgrade for Windows 7/8/8.1 users.

2. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

I am on it. Have one system up am running on it. Waiting still for the Alienware laptop to get the "you are ready" message. Three more to go after that.

It is running very well so far, and fast and smooth.

Joe Link likes this.
  3. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Read the agreement:cool:!!!! They are going to track EVERYTHING you do...

FA9, Caveman Jim and Joe Link like this.
  4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I wonder how this will play out.

5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Wait they are offering free upgrade for windows 8 users? I need to look into this!

6. Joe Link

Yep! And the offer is good for one year, so if you want to wait a while you have time.

7. Velzey

Wow that is very good news! I really like windows 8 but like what I have seen so far on windows 10... And "they" are already tracking me.....so no worries!

mjbskwim likes this.
  8. Garg

Well....... I don't know what to say to that.....I guess if you are on a list you are on a list. If the list gets to big to be relevant, then so be it. I don't think anything anyone does (on a public forum at least) is privileged information. Maybe I am wrong. The expectation of complete privacy is a dream. I think Snowden pretty much cleared that up. If you have something to hide, or a lot to hide, maybe a public forum is not a great idea for you.
    If windows 10 adds to the concept of "big data" I would guess it would be more related to selling you something rather than trying to incarcerate you. Again, maybe I am wrong.

9. Velzey

Maybe I forgot the little :s0111:
    I am a very well known beanie baby hoarder and beef jerky connoisseur...:s0036:

Garg likes this.
  10. Garg

I am sorry Vetzey, I was replying to pokerace...:oops:

11. Velzey

:s0158:Whew good!

12. Garg

Haha, I didn't mean it to be a scolding LOL, even to you pokerace....:p

13. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

The under the hood stuff is pretty good; better memory management, seems to do well on hardware that Win7 has trouble with, and other stuff.

User facing stuff is usually what people don't like; the new apps and older win7 apps are drastically different, they didn't bring back the old start menu, two sets of settings - control panel and settings and what not.

The new browser Edge is relatively well accepted but when you upgrade it is made the default browser.

I like reading the stuff on it from http://www.theregister.co.uk, which is in the UK but not an slave to advertisers and fairly technically literate.

elsie

14. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Joe, I looked all over my iPad, and could not find the Tenth Window...

To be honest, I could not find Windows One through Nine, either....

:s0133: I :s0052: Windows ....

philip

15. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I thought about going to 10 from 7.

I don't need anymore changes to an OS. I don't need to relearn stuff again in a different way. If there was a shell that looked like Win98 I would prefer that clean cut look. I revert windows 7 to that look.

When this computer dies (8 years old or so now), I'll buy a Mac. Their GUI tends to remain the same.

mjbskwim, Caveman Jim and BoonDocks36 like this.
  16. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

Been on it for about an hour from Win 8.1 Start menu is back, everything else looks like matters of style (colors, borders, icons). Most anti-climactic windows upgrade ever. Choose NO to every question about monitoring and connecting and tracking, etc. I'm sure everything I type is still logged, so...

Windows 7 with Touch is the best I can say for it.

Joe Link likes this.
  17. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

All us 9mm users are all going "why no 9"? lol

PiratePast40 likes this.
  18. Joe Link

I'm not sure when I'll upgrade from 7 for this reason, though I'm going to have to figure something out (maybe a vm) for testing the Edge browser here.

My laptop is a MacBook Pro (also for testing). I tried using OSX for a year and honestly, I think Windows is easier. That said, I don't think anyone builds a laptop as well as Apple. You pay for it up front, but I just sold my 2011 MBP for $575 (over half of what I paid for it nearly five years ago).

BoonDocks36, Dyjital and IronMonster like this.
  19. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

At this point, I think the only thing that will make me start upgrading OS's will be when MS stops security updates for W7-64. Hopefully that will be a few years from now.

Having said that, I do have a 'test' machine in the garage on the bench, and I'll allow that one to 'upgrade'....and we'll see how that works out.

BoonDocks36, Joe Link and Dyjital like this.
  20. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

no offense to Joe.. but how is this firearms related? Personally I would love to see our off topic become truly off topic.

tac and Caveman Jim like this.