JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you guys weigh your finished cartridges as a second check?

I tried that with my pistol rounds but there was too much natural variation for it to be useful since I'm only using 2.8grs of TiteWad for .45ACP.

Yep, I load for cheap... using a powder that costs me little, and requires very little inside the case. I often wonder about that rolling internal detonation thing, but have never had a problem. Hogdon lists the TiteWad load for .45ACP, I was surprised they did!

I played with some low velocity, low recoil, loads in .308 and .243 with a few grains of Red Dot and dacron stuffing to keep it against the primer. Even tho some say not to go lower than half the case, and there is a formula for reduced loads that I don't understand, such loads are possible. But I found that I don't like dacron inside my barrel.

Yes.
I did so for many years when my kids were doing the reloading for what they were going to be using.

It was a safety measure for them and piece of mind for me, even though they had been thoroughly trained.

I trained them very well from a very young age and they never had a double charge due to the powder selection that I chose for them and they never had a squib load.

For me it's a different story. I run different powders that can easily be double charged.

Attention to detail is a must anything less and your asking for problems. Teacher your kids young and it becomes natural to them!
They also learned how to use a progressive press. Not a single stage or a progressive running one round at a time. They learned the real deal on progressive Presses. I taught them how to I inspect each round individually. How to use calipers, chamber/cartridge gauges, etc...

kids are very quick to learn, you just have to give them a chance!

Just my two cents worth.

Last Edited:
I do not fill the case with a slower burning powder for pistol cartridges.
Haven't had a double charge in over 30 years. Which is also to say I've NEVER had a double charge.

One tip I've read is using a high volume powder so that a double charge will overfill the case and be obvious.
While this is true for many pistol rounds most loadings with rifle rounds using a powder that nearly, or overfills the case will be at or near a maximum load.
Loading reduced rifle loads (with a faster powder) will always require some form of double checking powder level. I load 30-30 with Unique and while it is a dense powder it only fills the case about half so I always ensure I double check powder level.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top