JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering reloading some older but not quite obsolete rifle cartridges, such as 32 Win Spl. Before I get started I am reading the ABCs of Reloading and planning to engineer as much human error out of the process as possible. One tip I've read is using a high volume powder so that a double charge will overfill the case and be obvious. Does anyone else use this option?

I always load a powder that gives 100% fill or nearly that. If I were to double charge I'd have a bunch of powder falling out of the case to remind me how stupid I was...

If that works for you then go for it but my now long gone mentor would say; still inspect each step performed.
I try to fill my cases, not as a crutch, but for ignition and burn reasons. Originally found more important when only a small variety of smokeless was first being substituted for black powder leaving many cases fairly empty by comparison.
Though I have been interrupted in a load sequence a time or two over the decades causing a double load, In over fifty years of reloads, I have never seated a bullet on a double load thanks to continued (some may say anal) quality control checks throughout my process. The only failure I've had was from one bad Federal primer.
Hand loaders should pay no less attention to process detail, and quality checks, than they expect and demand from their factory loads.

If that works for you then go for it but my now long gone mentor would say; still inspect each step performed.
I have never seated a bullet on a double load thanks to continued (some may say anal) quality control checks throughout my process. The only failure I've had was from one bad Federal primer.
Hand loaders should pay no less attention to process detail, and quality checks, than they expect and demand from their factory loads.

Yep. The only issue I had related to a reloading mistake was a "no charge" on a 30-06 a long time ago. I'm pretty conscientious about it, too, and at first thought it had to be a bad primer. Imaging my surprise when I pulled the bullet to see that the primer had nothing to ignite...

@User 1234 .32 WIN Spc is great! I loaded for that yrs ago when I would sneak my father pre-64 .32 out and shoot it in college. I still have half a box of Speer soft points and dies for it. No idea what powder I was using back then. Just waiting for the day he lets it move from his safe to mine... then we can start loading for it again.

As for the original question, I used to load 9mm with Blue Dot back in the day. All loads were compressed as it was almost a full case at 8grns I think. This helped me also know if it was under charge as I new they all should be basically full. I was loading single stage on an RCBS ROCKCHUCKER II so using loading blocks and throwing 50 powder charges at a time prior to seating the 115gn XPT rounds I loved to shoot back then.

i do and i dont. more often dont. i have a powder cop die on my lnl ap press. its obvious when theres too much powder in there according to the die but ive yet to actually have a double charge.

Do you guys weigh your finished cartridges as a second check?

No, however I'll dump the powder and weigh it on every so many at the start of a run. Usually every 5th.

Then I'll do a few at the end as well. Pretty much to check that it's dropping what it's set for. Progressive tho.

Plus I visually inspect each one after the powder cop.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably start with a turret press.

Good place to start. Even using one I have always "batch loaded." In that I do a batch of each step. When I charge I use a loading block, after I fill I use a light I can see in them to check. I have always avoided powders that would make a double extra easy for just this reason. When I learned some were using things like this to get more shots per pound. I looked at it as the savings were too minimal to me. So use a powder where a double would be glaringly easy to see. Not impossible but you would have to not look to miss it.
If you decide to go progressive I would learn first doing it like I do. Get a good feel for it first. Later if you buy a nice progressive the starter press will not cost much and may well come in handy for load testing where you just want to make a few of something. A lot of calibers are so cheap now that there is little to be saved loading BUT, always remember the last great panic shortage we had. Its easy and cheap to keep stuff to roll anything you shoot. Next time there is another panic shortage you can still roll the ammo you suddenly can't find :)

Dillon 550 cant go wrong.
The Dillon is a great press, but...

Personally, I prefer singular attention.
I believe there is too much going on with a progressive and recommend starting with a single stage or a turret press. Many will argue the fact, but it's a lot easier to learn one step at a time. It's also possible to use a RL550 Dillon as a single stage, which I do when loading my rifle rounds. Less hassle than swapping presses on the bench.

Do you guys weigh your finished cartridges as a second check?
Every single rifle round I load goes thru many "inspection" steps. Weighing the finished round is the next to last one. Running every handload through the chamber is the last.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top