JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you guys weigh your finished cartridges as a second check?

I tried that with my pistol rounds but there was too much natural variation for it to be useful since I'm only using 2.8grs of TiteWad for .45ACP.

Yep, I load for cheap... using a powder that costs me little, and requires very little inside the case. I often wonder about that rolling internal detonation thing, but have never had a problem. Hogdon lists the TiteWad load for .45ACP, I was surprised they did!

I played with some low velocity, low recoil, loads in .308 and .243 with a few grains of Red Dot and dacron stuffing to keep it against the primer. Even tho some say not to go lower than half the case, and there is a formula for reduced loads that I don't understand, such loads are possible. But I found that I don't like dacron inside my barrel.

Yes.
I did so for many years when my kids were doing the reloading for what they were going to be using.

It was a safety measure for them and piece of mind for me, even though they had been thoroughly trained.

I trained them very well from a very young age and they never had a double charge due to the powder selection that I chose for them and they never had a squib load.

For me it's a different story. I run different powders that can easily be double charged.

Attention to detail is a must anything less and your asking for problems. Teacher your kids young and it becomes natural to them!
They also learned how to use a progressive press. Not a single stage or a progressive running one round at a time. They learned the real deal on progressive Presses. I taught them how to I inspect each round individually. How to use calipers, chamber/cartridge gauges, etc...

kids are very quick to learn, you just have to give them a chance!

Just my two cents worth.

Last Edited:
I do not fill the case with a slower burning powder for pistol cartridges.
Haven't had a double charge in over 30 years. Which is also to say I've NEVER had a double charge.

One tip I've read is using a high volume powder so that a double charge will overfill the case and be obvious.
While this is true for many pistol rounds most loadings with rifle rounds using a powder that nearly, or overfills the case will be at or near a maximum load.
Loading reduced rifle loads (with a faster powder) will always require some form of double checking powder level. I load 30-30 with Unique and while it is a dense powder it only fills the case about half so I always ensure I double check powder level.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top