JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have watched the videos, read what I could find.

I know there are bigger and badder AR offerings but what I really find appealing is the "just a barrel" notion.

For a couple hundred bucks I could make a bit more potent critter gitter using existing bits I have lots of.

Does anyone have any real world experience with them. Or even seriously considered jumping?

Why is it a good idea? Why is it not a good idea?

I have considered it. Maybe down the road, now that I have finished my second build. Need to replenish the war chest. I think it has pretty good pop down range several hundred yards and legal to hunt with in Washington.

Brutus Out

For a couple hundred bucks I could make a bit more potent critter gitter using existing bits I have lots of.

Wednesday

I dont shoot meat with my AR's or AK's. People or otherwise. Its a non issue for me. I find its fun to shoot paper no matter the size hole it makes.

your interesting, for a barrel you ca do a blackout as well .....even bigger paper puncher

Wednesday

your interesting, for a barrel you ca do a blackout as well .....even bigger paper puncher

I was using "critter gitter" as the label for a gun, not really in the literal sense (there is a chance when I move that I will again be doing pest removal on the farm (rock chucks, ground squirrels, maybe he occasional coyote) but I have plenty of other tools for that job which are cheaper to employ if need be

Really there is no reason for me to have a .25-45 other than it would be something new to play with. I have 16 AR's in 5.56, four in .308 and three in 9MM and one in .45ACP

For what ever reason the .300 AAC/Whisper/Blackout has never really excited me. If I want to shoot a quite AR I can shoot one of the 9MM AR's I have suppressed (the 9MM machines are some of the funnest to dink around with)

I think part of the reason why I am intrigued with the idea of the .25-45 is I always want to build another AR, Have plenty of receivers and most of the other bits but when it comes right down to it there is not much I can do to put together another 5.56 that will be different from what I already have with the other parts I have. I cant see the point of the .300, Don't really want to invest in a bunch of specific parts for a 6.8 or 6.5 for a gun I am unlikely to really shoot much. With the Sharps its just a barrel and a few boxes of ammo and it would be something to at least play with for a while.

Sounds like a pretty lame excuse really when you lay it out. Thats probably really the answer.

Monster, you sound like me trying to justify an AK build.:rolleyes:
I don't need one.o_O
I think they're ugly.:eek:
I have a 7.62x39 AR.:)
I don't need another rifle, :(
but it might be an interesting project...:D

I've been thinking about ordering a barrel but I'm still fighting the thought of the 6X45. I started looking at it due to looking up info on the 6X45. I'll be reloading so the powders they can use will be how I'll try to pick out one of the two. Too bad I don't reload anything in .25 or 6mm yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6×45mm

I have watched the videos, read what I could find.

I know there are bigger and badder AR offerings but what I really find appealing is the "just a barrel" notion.

Does anyone have any real world experience with them. Or even seriously considered jumping?

Why is it a good idea? Why is it not a good idea?

If you are on Facebook, join this 25-45 Sharps user group that is on Facebook at the link below. Lots of people sharing load data and hunting and shooting experiences there. You will find some people who are really knowledgeable about this cartridge in that group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/764948416921186/

Current factory loadings include a 70 gr varmint load and an 87 gr load for big game.

AR15.com did a review of the cartridge. And they shot a coyote with is using the big game loading, as the 70 gr varmint load was not yet available. The 87 gr load blew a massive bloody exit hole in the coyote:

This following video review is pretty good as well. The reviewer notes that one can hardly notice the increased recoil from the heavier 87 gr bullet. The 25-45 is still real easy to shoot:

Last Edited:
I built a 6x45 upper and really was impressed with the accuracy. Google deadshot barrels, they are in central oregon (terrebonne I think?). Good prices and quick to deliver. I ended up trading that upper away, but I still have my Tikka that I had re-barreled to 6x45 and it is scary accurate. I went the 6x45 route because the bullet selection was better than the 25 cal stuff, also the dies were readily available too.

I thought about building one. After looking at ballistic comparisons it didn't seem like enough gain to justify the expenses and the issues of adding another caliber with hard to distinguish brass from 223 for reloading purposes for myself. People bother loading 70 grain stuff for them and get excited about it... what practical gain is there over a 69 grain in 223? The 223 will be a flatter shooting bullet with a higher BC. I do understand loading heavier bullets in it but it still just didn't lift my kilt. At the same point of investment your just a bolt away from making something like a Grendel. ...

You know whats funny. At the bottom of this page right now at the top of the list of similar threads is a thread I posted back in 11/14 titled ".25-45 sharps, Anyone built one yet?"

I guess I am talked out of it for at least another year.

I dont need one, I am not even sure I want one. I am just itching to build another AR and trying justify a reason, any reason to do so. I really should not be spending money at the moment though

Admittedly I am a AR junkie and its been a year or so since I built one.

I have a receiver, high end bolt and a nice trigger. Its hard to have a pile of parts and not want to convert them into a "something" I'll keep my eyes open for some clearance or sale goodies and try to put the Sharps out of my mind for the moment.

I thought about building one. After looking at ballistic comparisons it didn't seem like enough gain to justify the expenses and the issues of adding another caliber with hard to distinguish brass from 223 for reloading purposes for myself.

Well, it puts it into the realm of the 6.8 SPC when it comes to energy, with no need to use a different bolt or magazines. Plus it has much higher velocity, shoots flatter, and has less recoil than a 6.8 SPC.

The cartridge that I do not see making any sense anymore is the 6.8 SPC. I think that the .25-45 Sharps has much more going for it.

Well, it puts it into the realm of the 6.8 SPC when it comes to energy, with no need to use a different bolt or magazines. Plus it has much higher velocity, shoots flatter, and has less recoil than a 6.8 SPC.

The cartridge that I do not see making any sense anymore is the 6.8 SPC. I think that the .25-45 Sharps has much more going for it.

I absolutely agree. I'd take a Sharps over a SPC 100% if the time,I still don't see enough advantage over 223 to commit my money.

I think I put this in another thread but from what I have seen the accuracy is not even MOA.
And I don't see how that is acceptable from a Sharps rifle,or any upper for the cost of these.
Most of the frankenguns I have built were at least moa.OK so they were better barrels.
22Plinkster,who is an excellent shot(cuts playing cards),only got 2moa out of this gun.Iraqivet8888 did the same
Does anyone else make a barrel for this caliber or is it just a Sharps caliber still?

I think I put this in another thread but from what I have seen the accuracy is not even MOA.
And I don't see how that is acceptable from a Sharps rifle,or any upper for the cost of these.
Most of the frankenguns I have built were at least moa.OK so they were better barrels.
22Plinkster,who is an excellent shot(cuts playing cards),only got 2moa out of this gun.Iraqivet8888 did the same
Does anyone else make a barrel for this caliber or is it just a Sharps caliber still?

If you visit that Facebook group that I posted earlier, you will see that many people are managing to get good accuracy.

It also does appear that Sharps screwed up in initially shipping their barrels with a 1:9 twist. They have since switched over to using a 1:10 twist. Their newer barrels seem to be performing much better.

Some people are also buying their barrels from other manufacturers than Sharps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top