JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No Personal experience. Had a buddy who baited black bear and sat in a tree stand. When the bear showed up he shot it twice with his 44 mag revolver and it ran away. The man is an excelent shot.

I carried a Ruger SBH for years. I made the switch about ten years ago to 45 Colt, since I can shoot a bigger bullet faster with less pressure than a 44, which translates to all the positive aspects of a large caliber handgun with less buck and roar.

I have shot 3 deer and 1 elk with my Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. None of them went 50 ft. The elk was shot at 60 yards, broadside. Broke both shoulders. For deer and general woods carry, I load 240 gr. XTPs. For elk, bear and such, it is 300 gr. Jacketed Soft Points from Sierra that have almost the same energy as .454 Casull.

44 mag is a great round if you don't reload, I love mine. But I like to reload for the 45. A 340 gr LBT over 19 grains if H110 is serious skookum. Rugers only!!!!

I have one of the original Ruger carbines always been an excellent little shooter but last year the new hornady FTX bullets made that little gun more accurate than it was ever meant to be, I use it for bear hunting the thicker parts of the coast range, another good one is the contender in a 12" handgun configuration

I have a winchester trapper 44mag I use for heavy cover blacktails. my shots have been close, longest was inside 50 yards. 1 dropped like a rock with a speer 225gr jhpswc and the other I shot with a speer 250gr fpj was still in sight when it dropped. both bullets punched clear through with the 225gr breaking both shoulders. I have also hunted with my dan wesson 6" 744 but not got a shot off. I carried it with 180gr jhp loads and they shoot very nice in the trapper also, so I will try those next time I hunt this side. I'm also hoping to hunt bear again and will probably carry one of the two with the 250gr load.

While I'm sure that the 44mag is capable of killing power at ranges longer than 100yds, using open sights coupled with the rainbow trajectory past that range make a for sure killing shot pretty difficult, for me anyway. I have no qualms about hunting with my 44s as long as the range I expect to shoot at is this side of 100yds where I can be sure to place my shot where it needs to go.

I carry a .44mag ruger redhawk with hoge rubber grips. I load 300 gr plated rounds. I use it for wild boar hunting. I know ruger use to make a rifle that was based off of the 10/22 style action that was chambered in .44 mag. I think they called it the deerfield but I may be confused with the ruger mini 14 style action in .44 mag that was developed later and stopped production just a few years ago.
A lot of owners and hunters on the forums say that these rugers are some of the best deer hunting rifles made if you are looking to fill the meat locker and not just look rich while getting a trophy.
So it is a practical round for iron sight distances in closer. The rifles are all carbines so that is more practical for schleping around the hills and woods and packing meat out. If you are going to stay in a stand and use an ATV to pack the meat out then I would go with somthing else like an AK 47 (ha ha, JK) Rem 700 or the savage with an acutrigger in 300 win mag.
As far as a pistol for huning in the woods, as long as you are gong after somthing more than 2 pounds, the 44 mag all around can't be beat. hitting a squirrel with 1200 ft lbs would just be cruel.
I was at a gun show and picked up a used unfired redhawk for $350 in july 09 portland oregon. at that price and while reloading my own, it is very economical. I wouldn't pay more than $450 for it in perfect condition though.

I've hunted deer with as "little" as a .357, the .44 was a lot better!

One of the keys I learned about handgun hunting was to use appropriate bullets and practice at the ranges I would be comfortable shooting. If you are planning to shoot a handgun at 75 yards, be sure to practice at that distance and learn to judge that distance in the field.

Bob

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads