JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello NWF friends,

So, I've been in the market for a Mini-14 in 223 for a bit. Unfortunately, it keeps getting put on the back burner as something else pops up that I "must" have first. Or I go on some ridiculous ammo spending spree.

Anyhow, today, I went into a Cabelas for some camping chairs and found myself wandering up and down the ammo isles. Not finding what I need and made a slow stroll past the racks and cases of goodness. An employee asked if I needed help and so I responded with my two most common queries... do you have any 6.5 Grendel ammo and do you have a Mini-14 rifle. He responded with the single most common response... hahaha, no.

I proceeded along and saw an odd looking carbine. I figured it was another 9mm, but saw no mag well. I asked to take a look and as he handed it to me (without checking that it was safe...🙄) I was intrigued. Spent a couple minutes with it before it was time to go, but now I'm really curious.

I'm not typically one to deviate from my normal handful of calibers. I prefer to stock a lot of a few calibers and then buy guns around that. I broke that mold when I built my Grendel... some days I regret it, but then I shoot it and all is well again. This was why I mentioned the mini-14. Its a caliber I stock and a nice rifle to boot.

So before I go and screw up my world again by adding another caliber to the family...

Anyone own or have shooting experience with this rifle? General thoughts on the 5.7 round? Anyone own or have shooting experience with the Ruger 57? I figure if I buy one I gotta buy the other since the mags are the same... 😃

Don't buy. 5.7 ammo is hard to get, essentially unreloadable, and Ruger is not known for precision accuracy with their Mini series. Better off with a lever action 357, 44, 30-30, or 45-70 for a camp rifle. If you want serious defense against tweakers and thieves, buy an AR. Way way more accurate. Maybe you don't like ARs? Get an M1 Carbine.

Hello NWF friends,

So, I've been in the market for a Mini-14 in 223 for a bit. Unfortunately, it keeps getting put on the back burner as something else pops up that I "must" have first. Or I go on some ridiculous ammo spending spree.

Anyhow, today, I went into a Cabelas for some camping chairs and found myself wandering up and down the ammo isles. Not finding what I need and made a slow stroll past the racks and cases of goodness. An employee asked if I needed help and so I responded with my two most common queries... do you have any 6.5 Grendel ammo and do you have a Mini-14 rifle. He responded with the single most common response... hahaha, no.

I proceeded along and saw an odd looking carbine. I figured it was another 9mm, but saw no mag well. I asked to take a look and as he handed it to me (without checking that it was safe...🙄) I was intrigued. Spent a couple minutes with it before it was time to go, but now I'm really curious.

I'm not typically one to deviate from my normal handful of calibers. I prefer to stock a lot of a few calibers and then buy guns around that. I broke that mold when I built my Grendel... some days I regret it, but then I shoot it and all is well again. This was why I mentioned the mini-14. Its a caliber I stock and a nice rifle to boot.

So before I go and screw up my world again by adding another caliber to the family...

Anyone own or have shooting experience with this rifle? General thoughts on the 5.7 round? Anyone own or have shooting experience with the Ruger 57? I figure if I buy one I gotta buy the other since the mags are the same... 😃
Certainly an interesting idea. As another mentioned the one downside now would be the ammo cost. The round can be rolled at home but, watch some video of how. Its more work to do than many. Another is mags. Depending on where you are you may be only able to have 10 round mags for it which would be a bummer.
As for a Mini unless there is some reason you do not like the AR platform I would get an AR if you want a .223. They are a FAR better platform and far cheaper.

Don't buy. 5.7 ammo is hard to get, essentially unreloadable, and Ruger is not known for precision accuracy with their Mini series. Better off with a lever action 357, 44, 30-30, or 45-70 for a camp rifle. If you want serious defense against tweakers and thieves, buy an AR. Way way more accurate. Maybe you don't like ARs? Get an M1 Carbine.
Appreciate the feedback. Funny you mention the lever gun... I am absolutely in the market for a Rossi in 357/38. Was my first rifle and wish I never got rid of it. Definitely wasn't considering the 5.7 for defense, although I'm sure it'd work just fine if inserted at high speed into the correct location 😉. Got the AR side of things covered too. And at this point, I dont think I'd add another caliber to get an M1.

Certainly an interesting idea. As another mentioned the one downside now would be the ammo cost. The round can be rolled at home but, watch some video of how. Its more work to do than many. Another is mags. Depending on where you are you may be only able to have 10 round mags for it which would be a bummer.
As for a Mini unless there is some reason you do not like the AR platform I would get an AR if you want a .223. They are a FAR better platform and far cheaper.
Thanks for the reply. In general ammo cost is a downside across the board. Some things have gotten better and some haven't. I'm seeing about a buck a round for range stuff in 5.7. At this point I see ammo cost like fuel cost. I gotta have it so it kinda is what it is. I'm in WA state so I'm bound to the 10 round on "new" purchases. Glad I bought those spare "high" cap 5.7 mags before the ban... just in case I ever needed them. As for the Mini I just thought it was a nice rifle that is a little outside what I normally buy or build. No issues with ARs here... thats why I currently stock 223.

Thanks for the reply. In general ammo cost is a downside across the board. Some things have gotten better and some haven't. I'm seeing about a buck a round for range stuff in 5.7. At this point I see ammo cost like fuel cost. I gotta have it so it kinda is what it is. I'm in WA state so I'm bound to the 10 round on "new" purchases. Glad I bought those spare "high" cap 5.7 mags before the ban... just in case I ever needed them. As for the Mini I just thought it was a nice rifle that is a little outside what I normally buy or build. No issues with ARs here... thats why I currently stock 223.
If you already have some of the Ruger mags for this that would be a big plus. The caliber certainly looks interesting when watching how it performs. I have not shot one of these rifles yet but there is a lot of video of them and I did not see any saying they had any problems with them. If you have not gotten your WA certificate to buy an assault rifle yet Sporting Systems was offering them for free on their site. Have to have that before you go to buy it. If you do pull the trigger on one post up how it performs. Then the rest of us can tell you how we really don't want one even though we do :)

If you already have some of the Ruger mags for this that would be a big plus. The caliber certainly looks interesting when watching how it performs. I have not shot one of these rifles yet but there is a lot of video of them and I did not see any saying they had any problems with them. If you have not gotten your WA certificate to buy an assault rifle yet Sporting Systems was offering them for free on their site. Have to have that before you go to buy it. If you do pull the trigger on one post up how it performs. Then the rest of us can tell you how we really don't want one even though we do :)
Yeah, I was being cheeky about the mags... sorry. We don't need to get into yet another mag ban convo, but any of us in places with bans in place can get what we need if so desired. I watched some videos too and came to the same general conclusion... solid performing round in a solid performing rifle. I do have my certificate, so all good there. I'll definitely let you all know how it goes if I do move forward with it.

Expensive ammo and hard to reload it's also considered a week defense round unless your using even harder to get and more expensive good defense ammo.
Other than the ammo problem and you have to find a way to get the good mags it's a cool rifle. If you get the rifle you might as well buy the pistol version.

Expensive ammo and hard to reload it's also considered a week defense round unless your using even harder to get and more expensive good defense ammo.
Other than the ammo problem and you have to find a way to get the good mags it's a cool rifle. If you get the rifle you might as well buy the pistol version.
Thanks for responding. Totally understand the cost factor I'd be getting into and that is something I'd just need to deal with if I did buy into that caliber. I am curious under what circumstances this would be a weak defense round? I'm not taking a shot at you... legitimate question. Weak at distance? Weak velocity? Weak energy on impact at defensive range? It was my understanding that it was originally developed to replace 9mm for LEO and military (obviously didn't catch on) so I figured It'd be at least decent in the defense category. And yes, if I got the rifle and liked it enough to keep It'd definitely get the pistol as well 😃.

Thanks for responding. Totally understand the cost factor I'd be getting into and that is something I'd just need to deal with if I did buy into that caliber. I am curious under what circumstances this would be a weak defense round? I'm not taking a shot at you... legitimate question. Weak at distance? Weak velocity? Weak energy on impact at defensive range? It was my understanding that it was originally developed to replace 9mm for LEO and military (obviously didn't catch on) so I figured It'd be at least decent in the defense category. And yes, if I got the rifle and liked it enough to keep It'd definitely get the pistol as well 😃.
It's a niche caliber, IMO.

We carry FN 5.7 for camp & trail, simply due go weight & capacity. "OK" for 2 legged defensive use, hiwever just IMO. Its more the weight, capacity & ease of followup.

However as in all things there are trade offs. They are not our EDC.

Fun range caliber for sure (no experience with Ruger in it, so just mentioning the caliber here).

If money is tight, and one has other wants, I'd say move towards other wants. If money isn't tight, and other wants are fulfilled - sure!

It's a niche caliber, IMO.

We carry FN 5.7 for camp & trail, simply due go weight & capacity. "OK" for 2 legged defensive use, hiwever just IMO. Its more the weight, capacity & ease of followup.

However as in all things there are trade offs. They are not our EDC.

Fun range caliber for sure (no experience with Ruger in it, so just mentioning the caliber here).

If money is tight, and one has other wants, I'd say move towards other wants. If money isn't tight, and other wants are fulfilled - sure!
Thanks! Appreciate the input.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads