JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes - the AE ammo sucks. Only good for practice, and only practice where you should expect to have problems with the ammo and have to clear it. I've seen the push back issues, and the projectile getting offline with the neck, etc. too. Pretty much anybody who has that brand has those issues.

That's why the AE is only 20% of my 5.7 ammo and only for practice.
Mine feeds great and accurately from the ruger pistol. I had a large amount before I learned it was garbage with the ps90. (I got it to preserve my fn ammo stash.) It is a great way. (Mine fails 50+% of the time with the ps90)

The P90 & Five Seven are niche guns. Compact size for the P90 makes it good for certain uses, and they are designed for military and LE use.

5.7x28 in a conventional carbine makes it not so useful.

Neither of the Ruger 5.7x28 firearms are designed or intended for military or LE use. They are "range toys".

Ditto with the Kel Tec

Now if someone made a lightweight compact relatively inexpensive bolt action (e.g., Ruger American) that was relatively accurate, that I could use reloaded ammo in, I would be interested.
You could eliminate reloaded ammo if you go with a muzzleloader. To shorten the blackpowder rifle, use a pistol grip stock and you could JB weld a pictinny rail for a Vortex red dot on the 5.7 barrel and mount a vertical forearm grip with a built-in flash light...a modernized tactical Hawkins rifle.

Thought this forum was more informed.
Probably should pay more attention to the gun manufacturers and their agendas. Especially what they say in front of congress.

What gun makers have come out in favor of eliminating the ATF?

Back on topic,

Not of fan of the Ruger Carbine in 5.7 . At that price too, thinking its not going to be a very long production run. Not too many are using 5.7 for plinking. Not sure what market Ruger is going with this carbine. I will stick with my FNs.

Thought this forum was more informed.
Probably should pay more attention to the gun manufacturers and their agendas. Especially what they say in front of congress.

So you really expected a gun manufacturer to stand there and tell Congress that they think the agency who licenses them should be done away with huh? Of course that would go well as the agency surely would not retaliate. Voters who own guns and like freedom screw themselves every two years when it comes time to vote. Then those who bent over scream about how they took it in the shorts :confused:

Now if the rifle was just $499 like this 57, I could see it taking off.
Maybe if someone already owed the R57, agreed at that price they probably be a candidate to add the carbine.

Otherwise according to a top secret document I found on line from Ruger they ID'ed their demographic of their customer for the carbine as:

3EF6D4DE-8E45-494A-8E59-1867D125E113.jpeg

I think for the money, I'd rather get another 57

eta With the scarcity of 5.7 ammo AND the very high cost of the ammo if you can find some, I really don't see anything in 5.7 getting a lot of traction. It certainly is not an introductory gun. Maybe Ruger is aware of some breakout cheap 5.7 ammo coming out soon. Otherwise what fun is a gun when the ammo is so hard to find and hard to afford?

Last Edited:
I really do not understand the 5.7's appeal (inadequate penetration, low energy, expensive, hard to find), especially in such a hideous wrapper. It looks like the slow cousin of a Kel-Tec.

I want to like it for the standard reasons. But, yah, I just can't. Maybe too ugly (that stock, yeesh), doesn't fill a niche we require, or maybe, to quote BB King, the thrill is gone. :s0092:

All the compromises made during the 5.7 cartridge design process were made to accommodate the novel P90 magazine. Everyone focuses on the ammo but really it is the magazine that is special.

I don't see the value in any firearm with this caliber that doesn't use that magazine. There are near equivalent calibers that do near enough the same job for half the price.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top