JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I vote call around. So many heavy things I have moved in my younger years now my back is bad. The cost of some one moving it is not worth someone getting injured or the property damage that can happen. Your first estimate sounded a bit high so call around. At a minimum have the right equipment there are dollys and jacks made for just this purpose.

I vote call around. So many heavy things I have moved in my younger years now my back is bad. The cost of some one moving it is not worth someone getting injured or the property damage that can happen. Your first estimate sounded a bit high so call around. At a minimum have the right equipment there are dollys and jacks made for just this purpose.

The powered stair walking dollys are awesome.

Just not sure where to rent one:(

My safe weighs 5000 lbs empty. I don't think the buddies and beer method would cut it. 700 lbs though is really more manageable than it sounds like 3 guys and a dolly and you should be skookum

REALLY worthwhile to hire experienced professionals. Northwest Safe (Enumclaw, WA) has moved mine twice now in 18 years. $190 both times. Two guys and some super slick skids that prevent wear and tear on your home, both going out and back in the new one. They even bolted the safe to the floor for me, and have the tools and hardware for both concrete floors and wood...and cleaned up!

I found an easy way to put a safe into a single axle utility trailer.:)

Unhook the trailer and lift the tongue until the bed touches the ground.
Lay the safe down into the trailer and then, using the trailer as a lever,
pull the tongue back down and hook it to the towing vehicle.:p
If it didn't slide you got lucky. Or did you tie it off when you pulled the trailer back down?
So we delivered a safe to this guy out in Quilicine. Had 5 of the largest dog breeds on the property. We waited for him to say it was OK to get out:eek:
He bought the biggest one we had. We had this down OK. Got it to a step and were trying to pull it up the step.
The two of them lifted the low side and expected me to hold up the other end.
Yeah Joe13 physics. I had the top 3 1/2 feet on my side of the step. Well not all of the safe came down on me:confused:

REALLY worthwhile to hire experienced professionals. Northwest Safe (Enumclaw, WA) has moved mine twice now in 18 years. $190 both times. Two guys and some super slick skids that prevent wear and tear on your home, both going out and back in the new one. They even bolted the safe to the floor for me, and have the tools and hardware for both concrete floors and wood...and cleaned up!

+1 My safe is only 450lb but it has been moved several times. To move it out to a truck cost me $50 to have it delivered was $50 to have it offloaded out of a moving truck and to a second floor apt was only $60. A MRI on your back to see what's wrong with it after hurting it could cost $1500 and that's just the start. Just saying I won't let my friends move my safe and they have offered I just don't want them to end up in my condition. I have been disabled sense I was 25 all because I used my back to much. I did it for others and work it destroyed my life! So just saying paying even $200 is nothing compared to a lifetime of suffering.
Sorry to be long winded it's just something that's important to me. People be safe in life use your head not your back it's easier to make the money and pay then to try and save a few bucks in this situation. Now if you're like the guy that delivered my safe and can bear hug it and pick up 500lbs 2 feet off the ground on your own more power to you. But even they are not invincible.

Hire professional bonded insured back ground checked non criminal movers. Pay the price. If they are any good they will provide all the situational security needs you require. Including moving it at 2 am with zero/little noise or movement.

The cops will be notified with what they need to know and no more. You will never know the movers were there. Done in just seconds. I lumped furniture in San Francisco years ago and that is how we did it. Included some weird stuff.

Did I mention bonded and insured? You can also buy a cheap one time insurance policy covering any future theft for a period of time. Like say 90 days. The safe can be sheafed with cardboard saying ... "30 cubic foot ice maker freezer". We did so.

You really do not want to hire unknowns. What do you have to lose? Sometimes a bunch. Also not having noisy neighbors knowing you have a big gun safe is important. Think paranoid situational security. The big boys do all the time. You should also.

Respectfully.

Got my 600 lb safe upstairs using a dolly. Brother in law and I took the door off, carried that up and the rest of it came up on a handtruck with an extra guy. Tried doing it without the truck and 1 less guy and couldnt get it higher than step 2.

On the flip side, my dad had a 750lb safe delivered to his place last week and he has a video of it coming out of the truck and going down on its face because the pallet jack wasnt lowered before the guy put the gate down and it rolled off. Guy tried to catch it and almost lost his leg. I still want to see how he got it back up on its feet by himself..

If the door will come off it will make the job a lot easier.
I've assisted with moving a 560lb safe up a couple flights of stairs. We took off the door, and used those forearm dollie straps. Wasn't as hard as we first thought it was going to be. Removing the door made all the difference.

I'm just trying to move a 700lb safe from inside my house to a detached office/mancave. I called around and getting estimates of $450. I don't see why it's that much. I was thinking it would be less than half of that. It's a single level home (one step porch/deck), across the small yard, and one big step up (no deck yet) to the other room.

Hoping to get this done before Saturday evening. Anyone know of a cheaper place? It's a 700 lb safe. Thanks for any help with this!

Safe mover's generally charge from 'port to port' that means essentially double. Why not call a furniture mover or several, they move safes the same way they move other heavy appliances and they don't seem to feel the need to charge you double

Jeez I just replaced my washer and dryer and it was a 2nd story swap. I did it by myself. Not fun. I would have had them delivered but they were booked out a month due to Black Friday sales.

I call movers when I moved here few months ago, Also call local shops that sell them you can try the dealear of your make and maybe they will be cool about it? But I call movers first. They will pretty much do anything if they can and change extra $50 for a safe to start depends on how difficult. I have had good experances 2 strong guys did my long flight of stairs up with a reg dolly and 450lb did great. $60 not a scratch. They may have ramps for you to use.

I will look up who I used but they were awesome unloading my moving truck I drove up here. They had a box truck or tool and supply's ready to go 10 min early and kick it out quick! Few hundred bucks and under 2 hrs. Up lots of stairs. Even so much to fold my moving blankets and sweep out my truck ready to return rental so I could go to bed after a long drive awesome guys.

I would like to ask how people feel about the new safes that are ok quality but much lighter seem to me just as good of protection as a old heavy safe. I just don't see someone trying to take my safe out they would cut it and old one do no better unless it a very expensive one at times. I'm not talking ammo storage or cheap Chinese. But inexpensive USA made like liberty or something? Do people feel that the safe will be removed in a theft? Or are your guns just locked up to keep the kids out mainly?

I see my share of robberies and it is rare for the safe to actually be found broken into, even if it only has a 3/16" door that could be pried open with a crowbar. If the safe is small enough to carry off, next time you see it might be in the desert with the door bashed in, but gun safes (over
500) pounds seem to be mostly undisturbed.

The other reason I got a buddy to help me was I didn't want anyone to know that I had a safe or how big it was. You would be amazed how fast news travels. Unless its so big that a few of your friends just can't I wouldn't. just my two bits.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top