JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just trying to move a 700lb safe from inside my house to a detached office/mancave. I called around and getting estimates of $450. I don't see why it's that much. I was thinking it would be less than half of that. It's a single level home (one step porch/deck), across the small yard, and one big step up (no deck yet) to the other room.

Hoping to get this done before Saturday evening. Anyone know of a cheaper place? It's a 700 lb safe. Thanks for any help with this!

i paid 160 to have mine done which included a 20$ tip. I live quite a distance from you so my guy probably wont work for you. i would keep looking for a mover if i were you.

I've done it myself (at age 60+) with a big safe, (got it in my van and drove it from Wyoming to Oregon) although it is easier and safer if you have one other person to help. I just do what the movers do. Go to home depot and get one of those poles (about 2" diameter) 8 feet long. Cut into 4 pieces. They are your rollers. You clear everything out of the safe, tilt it back, slide a roller under (toward the middle), tilt the other way and get a couple more rollers under it. Then just roll the safe out. Horse it around corners, fairly obvious. Take your time, don't do anything stupid.

Not sure how to handle the steps. Make a ramp?

This process can result in scratches and chips. I also punched a hole in the basement drywall when the safe tipped going around a corner. Oh well!

Don't sue me if you drop it on your head. It's kinda dangerous, needless to say...

Last Edited:
Tipping back a 700# item of any height can be dangerous especially for a novice, be prepared, be careful! Laying it down may not be prudent.
Whether you or they move it and it's going across lawn / dirt, especially this time of year get a couple sheets of 3/4 ply wood to traverse the ground not just to avoid the ruts but the wheels of heavy things sinking in can be unbelievably hard to push/pull.

I bought a case of beer and some porterhouse's...told my buddies to come over for a project...problem solved. It required some 3/4 plywood and some 2 inch dowels but we rolled it on the dowels over the plywood to it's final resting place.

I bought a case of beer and some porterhouse's...told my buddies to come over for a project...problem solved. It required some 3/4 plywood and some 2 inch dowels but we rolled it on the dowels over the plywood to it's final resting place.
This is the correct answer.
When I bought my last safe the guys from the store came over to help(less than a mile;)). And one of them was moving the safe by himself like nothing,lol. But when I sold it we had 5 guys to help.
Piece of cake.
When tipping the safe you have to make sure the bottom doesn't slide out. Tie it off to something if possible. Or maybe not tip it?
A furniture dolly and some plywood,along with some friends, is what I would use. 2 sheets should do it.
Not 1/4" either:eek:

This guy lifted a 20,000 lb stone with his own power, replies show how to "walk" heavy weights which I have done by myself with 500 lb objects and could probably do with a 700 lb safe. I have also "rolled" heavy things up stairs using leverage:
Man Moves Incredible Weights With Sweat And Simple Tools | Survival Monkey Forums

Beer and your buddies is still the best bet...
Ohhh,what was that vid called? The guy built a sand stone structure in Florida. Said the pyramids would have been easy to build. Used tripods to do it.
I did the same to raise some logs for my wood shed.

+1 on getting your buddy to come help you for some beer and pizza. There was no way I was going to pay that to move mine so two of us moved my 700 lb safe out of my truck down the driveway and into my shop with a dolly and some lifting straps.

This is the correct answer.
When I bought my last safe the guys from the store came over to help(less than a mile;)). And one of them was moving the safe by himself like nothing,lol. But when I sold it we had 5 guys to help.
Piece of cake.
When tipping the safe you have to make sure the bottom doesn't slide out. Tie it off to something if possible. Or maybe not tip it?
A furniture dolly and some plywood,along with some friends, is what I would use. 2 sheets should do it.
Not 1/4" either:eek:

I'll +1 this.

Took 1 buddy, a couple come alongs, 2x6's, straps a chain or two, a 3 ton jack and 9 hours to load and unload - then move into my garage a 4,000# safe.

We are both pretty experienced with moving very large and heavy equipment with the minimal amount of tools though but we both had tight bum holes by the end of the day.

A good general knowledge of physics is a must have.

More people the better.

I found an easy way to put a safe into a single axle utility trailer.:)

Unhook the trailer and lift the tongue until the bed touches the ground.
Lay the safe down into the trailer and then, using the trailer as a lever,
pull the tongue back down and hook it to the towing vehicle.:p

I'm just trying to move a 700lb safe from inside my house to a detached office/mancave. I called around and getting estimates of $450. I don't see why it's that much. I was thinking it would be less than half of that. It's a single level home (one step porch/deck), across the small yard, and one big step up (no deck yet) to the other room.

Hoping to get this done before Saturday evening. Anyone know of a cheaper place? It's a 700 lb safe. Thanks for any help with this!

Call bulldog tuff safes in Warren, OR.
Bulldog Tuff Safes - office safes, gun safes and more!
Danny will hook you up with a move.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads