JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would like to ask how people feel about the new safes that are ok quality but much lighter seem to me just as good of protection as a old heavy safe. I just don't see someone trying to take my safe out they would cut it and old one do no better unless it a very expensive one at times. I'm not talking ammo storage or cheap Chinese. But inexpensive USA made like liberty or something? Do people feel that the safe will be removed in a theft? Or are your guns just locked up to keep the kids out mainly?
Isn't the biggest difference fire rating?
Cheaper you go less fire rating.
I thought about cheap while holding my $1500 rifle and looking at 20 more in the safe.
Depending on how much money you have in guns,how cheap you wanna go?;)

I would like to ask how people feel about the new safes that are ok quality but much lighter seem to me just as good of protection as a old heavy safe. I just don't see someone trying to take my safe out they would cut it and old one do no better unless it a very expensive one at times. I'm not talking ammo storage or cheap Chinese. But inexpensive USA made like liberty or something? Do people feel that the safe will be removed in a theft? Or are your guns just locked up to keep the kids out mainly?

Fire rating vs insurance. Do you want to put insurance Riders on the guns? If not how much protection do you want to pay for? As for break in doubtful. Most smash ins are dope heads looking for something to grab. Even if they have tools how much noise is it going to make? The idea is to make it harder so hopefully they go on to another target. I am big on the idea that a safe is like a gun. Any gun is better than no gun. Any safe is better than no safe. I would think ahead about price though. Don't buy something now that you want to replace in 2 years with better. If you think you want better in a short time finance the better now. Main thing is to have a safe. Does not have to be the "best", just have something.

I would think ahead about price though. Don't buy something now that you want to replace in 2 years with better. If you think you want better in a short time finance the better now. Main thing is to have a safe. Does not have to be the "best", just have something.
When I bought mine the salesman said the biggest complaint he got was the guy didn't buy big enough

The other reason I got a buddy to help me was I didn't want anyone to know that I had a safe or how big it was. You would be amazed how fast news travels. Unless its so big that a few of your friends just can't I wouldn't. just my two bits.
Day laborers are used to being blindfolded to and from jobs.
Just slow down at that 7-11 or Home Depot and shout out to the guys "El Gimpo por favor!". works every time

th?id=OIP.M67f3d672a34e8cae7800a5758d69b052o0&w=250&h=160&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

I bought a 24 gun safe 14 months ago (approx 550 lbs) & paid two guys (one from the place I bought it) $100 to deliver, unpack & place it in my garage. I roto drilled the floor & anchored it But am now I'm moving from Tualatin to somewhere in Yamhill County (still looking at houses) and need to move the now overflowing 24-gun safe. I bought a 48-gun Fatboy Jr from Liberty in Hubbard & they charge $125 for delivery including to McMinnville so that's a no brainer. They're holding onto it for me until I get settled but in the meantime I gave my nephew most of my pistols to store b/c he has a large but mostly empty safe. Another incentive was I said he could shoot whatever I loaned him.

I found out recently I could have bought a 72" x 48" (double door) jewelry safe for $500 & Speedy Towing would have delivered it for $200. The safe would have to have been gutted to fit firearms but it's a moot point - I don't have a place to store it anyway. Still - I shed a few tears. :(

Maybe contact a local towing company - they may do it during down times at a decent rate.

I bought mine from Ft Knox and watched the install into my home.
The man that brought it said he could do in by himself, but did not turn down help.
Took about an hour and a half , up three steps and across heavy carpet.
Get help and use 3/4 ply and dowels. Two people can do it.. Just take care!!:rolleyes:

I bought mine from Ft Knox and watched the install into my home.
The man that brought it said he could do in by himself, but did not turn down help.
Took about an hour and a half , up three steps and across heavy carpet.
Get help and use 3/4 ply and dowels. Two people can do it.. Just take care!!:rolleyes:

I think the same guy did mine, remember though, he has been doing this for decades. you tip that safe a little to much and you will wish you hadn't ;)

I had a couple of guys help me move my 24-gun safe into mini-storage. We took off the door which not only made it lighter but also gave us something to grab onto. Once it was upright on a furniture dolly I used a wide ratchet strap to lock everything together, we rehung the door & rolled it into storage. I have a 48-gun safe all paid for & waiting at Liberty in Hubbard. Their standard delivery price is $125 & that includes McMinnville where I'll be moving to in May.

I would consider buying another safe if yours seems to be overflowing where it now lives!
On a more serious side, I would consider another used Ft Knox anywhere in Oregon..I can move it,
just not too many steps up or down.
Of course, I would also be interested in some really nice inclusions, like a S&W model 10 early, etc!
I will gladly explain and offer mental help, but I can't help physically, as I suffer daily with lower back pain.
P M or reply here. I can drive close to offer suggestions. :):)

PS! You don't want to be the "Could-a, Would-a, Should-a" guy!!!

I've been on the heavy end of a couple of safes. The heaviest one at 900 lbs.
My friend, who owned the big safe, bought a "hand truck" just for these occasions. In reality, it's an appliance dolly that has more frame work with a second set of wheels that works like a rolling kickstand on the operator's side. Without a set up like his, it would be a tipsy balancing act. We had to go up a short set of steps at my front porch and that's where more people was the trick.

It was something like this.
Wesco® 4-Wheel Appliance Truck 230018 1200 Lb. Cap 66"H Auto-Rewind

The only experience I have had moving a safe is watching ours being delivered.
It weighs 875 pounds............if I had tried to move it I would be dead now.
First, they had a small caterpillar/forklift looking thing that lifted it off the ground
and then climbed the stairs in to our home carrying it. It was amazing.
Then they layed down dozens of 4 foot long 2X4's with one side coated with 1" thick Teflon
and slid the safe to where we wanted it which was about 60 feet away and in a closet.
They then leveled it, made sure the door did not swing either way by itself and bolted it to the floor.
They never bumped anything, damaged anything, scratched anything and I don't have 12 hernias.
At my age there are quite a few things I will not attempt.
Moving my safe is at the top of that list. I don't care how much it costs for them to do it.
I have a nice safe and I am still alive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top