JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I caught the last scene of 'The Postman' tonight and because I have been to almost all the locations it was filmed at (I used to routinely go mess around the old Oremite Mine where the opening scene as shot) I was wondering if anyone has been an extra? I was, in the movie made near Terrebonne called 'Even Cowgirls Get The Blues' with Uma Thurman, Rosanne Barr, Pat Morita and several others. I happened to be in the National Guard at the time and I played, well a National Guardsman. Cool thing was in the final scene I and three others (who had experience with M-16s) had the 'real' guns with blanks and the remaining platoon sized element had the rubber set guns and they were instructed to 'Que' on our FA fire and simulate recoil in unison with it. Amazing how they can edit to make it look like we all had firing weapons when only four of us did.

Your post brings back some good memories.
They filmed the Cowgirls indoor shots next door to where I worked in SW Portland next to the Spaghetti Factory.
Uma's brother was stationed in our shop, and when they were ready to film a scene, he would yell "Quiet on the set", and we would stop production.
I got to hang out a little and meet the cast when they were on break. Best part was having lunch with Uma and her brother.

Your post brings back some good memories.
Very cool - It's good to know I am not the only one who knew about the movie. Ironically several years later I was working on a house that was inside the property where the entry gate was used as the entrance to the fictitious 'Rubber Rose Ranch' and while under the house doing some work on the plumbing I found the iron 'RRR' entry way 'brand' symbol that was on top of the wood pole entry. I should have snagged it. I don't think anyone knew it was there and it probably still is.

I remember when she sung the national anthem. Sad day for America......
Yep so do I - the Padres game. As bad (or worse) than when Willie Nelson sang the NA for the Superbowl game (someone correct me if I am wrong on this) and forgot the words.

My old business partner from the FFL days now works/builds guns for a movie gun company. He built the bad guy gun(s) for fast and furious 5 and did all the guns for O dark thirty along with many other films. I have been invited to the sets of a few movies but so far it always happens when I can't get away.

I used to work for a company that produced promotional films for corporations. They were professionally produced with "D" class actors and union crews. On one particular gig, they were making a Bond 007 spoof. There was a scene (filmed in front of the Kingdome!) where the bad guy had to knock a real Walther PPK out of our Bond double's hand. I was responsible for retrieving the weapon and resetting the scene. We must have shot this scene 30 times. And each time the gun tumbled through the air and scattered across the black top. It was on loan from the producer's collection and at the end of the day it looked as if it had been through a war. The rear sites were knocked off, the slide and trigger guard were scraped and gouged and part of the grip was broken. I cringed each time I picked it up and to this day am glad that I wasn't the one who had to return it. :s0131:

I was an extra in "Bandits", shot in Silverton, OR. I was a cop with a plastic Beretta 92. I had to draw down on two guys fighting in the street. We did 6 takes on that scene, and I had about 3 seconds screen time. But they took away my holster before the shoot.

I was an extra in a flick called 'The Five of Me'. Played a Korean soldier with some old bolt gun of the era. Was fun running around screaming our heads off for the day doing charges!! Too bad all the scenes we did ended up on the cutting room floor:(

In my case I heard about it from a friend....not sure how he found out about it. I was in high school at the time (1981) and ditched school for the shot to make $50 easy money. It was a lot of fun. I coud have gone again the following day as they were not finished shooting that day, but I didn't want to miss another day of school. I was the first guy to get all made up and was taken to the director to see if he approved of the look. He said I looked fine and started to tell me what he wanted me to say in the scene.......I had to stop him and tell him I wasn't Korean, but Chinese, so they gave the job to a different guy....ahhhh, my blown chance at stardom!!!

I have a friend who lived near the outdoor set of "Paint Your Wagon" in Eastern Oregon.
He is half Asian and was cast as one of the Chinese coolies.
His claim to fame was that when they were filming during the grand finale march through the town, (all cameras rolling and only one take because they were going to destroy the entire set) the director started screaming "get that Timex watch off that G*D D**N coolie".
All of the horses, wagons and cast members had to be returned to the starting line and start over, (took hours).
His only regret was playing poker with Lee Marvin and losing his paycheck.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews