JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw a blurb in the latest Tigard, OR, city newsletter highlighting their CERT -- Citizen Emergency Response Team (or Community... depending on which webpage) -- training sessions. Wondered if anyone has done a program like this, here or in another city.

The idea is to give basic instruction in handling various emergencies, in a one evening a week for eight weeks package. Looks like there's some first-aid, fire-fighting, S&R, etc included.

If you live or work in Tigard you're eligible for this program, but they say other cities are providing similar programs. Here's a couple links:

http://www.tigard-or.gov/city_hall/departments/public_works/emergency/cert.asp
http://www.tigard-or.gov/city_hall/departments/public_works/emergency/training.asp

Looks like Tigard has a session starting in March and another in Sept. Tigard says they've given the training to 170 people so far with the idea that these people would provide assistance to themselves and neighbors in an event when the city's response would be delayed.

MrB+
--
Still working up to being an A-

I haven't done CERT, but have signed up for info on the next classes this spring in both Beaverton (anyone can attend theirs) and Portland.

I think it'll be pretty helpful - looking forward to it, myself.

I took CERT training about ten years ago. It's good, basic stuff to learn - how to avoid dangers, cribbing, fire extinguisher use, triage, basic first aid, etc. I think it's most effective if you can take it with a group of individuals (neighbors, church, school) who you might actually use it with, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking it by themselves. I thought the hands-on disaster scenarios they run you through are very useful for testing your new skills & evaluating where you need improvement. These scenarios are interesting from a group dynamics standpoint, also.

My community here on the coast is pretty hot on the CERT program. Manzanita is mostly a retired community but they're trying to expand it into Nehalem. Being on the Fire Dept. I've worked with them a bit. It's a good group of people willing to get training and set up community action plans in case of emergencies/disasters.

A few years back I was a Fire Chief and assisted with training the Skamania County CERT Teams. The Links you posted give a good description of the training you will receive. It also looks like the Final Exercise (mock disaster) will be conducted at the Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue's Regional Training Center which is a top notch facility. If you have the time to take the training I would highly recommend it.

One of the biggest perks to being a member of a CERT Team is that you're not only helping out your community but it "gets you in the know". Working close with Fire and Police during a disaster keeps you better informed on how good or bad things really are. It may also have some advantages when it comes to getting you aid such as food, water, and shelter. As a rule "Rescuers" need to take care of their own before they can go about helping others.

Also you can not dismiss the gratification you will get when you save a life or even just make someone's horrible situation a little bit better. I served as a Volunteer Firefight/EMT for almost 20 years and told myself that it was all about getting my "adrenalin fix". It was more like a job to me and I never got too wrapped up in the warm and fuzzy side of doing good for my community. Looking back I was pretty clueless.

Volunteer your time no matter how little you have to spare, get trained up and maybe do something extraordinary for someone in need? You won't regret it.

I took the CERT program offered through the City of Salem last year, the class sessions went by very quickly and I gained useful information from the program. I would recommend the CERT program to anyone interested.

I took it in Portland last year...here its called NET, but its the same as CERT. I highly recommend it. You gain some skills, get connected to some firefighters, and meet some good folks. In a less-than TSHTF, being dialed in with the emergency crews certainly can't hurt!

I took the CERT course in Hillsboro a few years ago with three other members of my family. It was very well worth it to all of us. If it hits the fan we feel we are way ahead in helping ourselves and others. I've moved since then, and am now a volunteer with the local fire department. What the Chief said above is totally true.

I did the CERT Training in Tigard last fall and current active member. Pretty much what Sun195 mentioned, there is additional training that happens and monthly meeting with training or discussions. CERT will also train people to get their HAM license, other skills and will do community events. Good Stuff....

I took "CERT" training in College, it was taught to the Search and Rescue team I was a part of. It was good for the fact that it taught us how to prepare for disasters in a urban environment or mostly urban. Our SAR team were all hikers, snowmobilers, 4x4, ATV and horsemen that just almost worked exclusivly in the woods or high desert where we lived. So, it was a welcome free training that we got and we were more of an asset to the City Police and Fire Department, than just to the County Sheriff's; to which they used us for everything!

Another thing that was cool, was the Fire Chief who taught one class, welcomed us to stop at accidents or fires and tell the fire fighters or Para Medics we were CERT trained and see if they needed assistance. So, they were very open to the fact that they could depend on us to help them anytime, even if was just manning a road block for an accident.

It's worth the time and effort, oh and the free training!

I took CERT training about ten years ago. It's good, basic stuff to learn - how to avoid dangers, cribbing, fire extinguisher use, triage, basic first aid, etc. I think it's most effective if you can take it with a group of individuals (neighbors, church, school) who you might actually use it with, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking it by themselves. I thought the hands-on disaster scenarios they run you through are very useful for testing your new skills & evaluating where you need improvement. These scenarios are interesting from a group dynamics standpoint, also.

I recently done the training and agree with what Sun195 said. I have also been in SAR and Mountain Rescue over 20 years experience there.

My son and I took CERT training last fall. We live in the Snoqualmie Valley where flooding is common. We will be participating in a community exercise May with the local ARES HAM radio operators and to begin building a working relationship with them.

The live drill on the last day was a real eye opener and having the training makes us more confident in being able to assist our neighbors and community if our services are ever needed.

I did NET training last year, it's great. Highly recommend. It's great to work with others who are getting ready in the event of a big problem! I figure having a connection to the local Fire Dept will be a good thing in the event of a disaster too.

Looks like Portland's NET is full till sometime in 2012. Any other citys that will let a Portland resident that their class?

Tigard limits theirs to residents and people that work in the city. I think they said that Beaverton was more flexible.

Also, ask if you can get on a waiting list. Even if a session is fully subscribed there might well be open slots due to no-shows.

MrB+

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top