JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where is this local guy? I have some parts and childers polish blank.
I'd have to ask him if he would be willing to work with you. He builds for himself and I'm not sure if he has a FFL. Just him and a buddy building kits they stashed away. he is south of Roseburg.

Soviet Stocks told me he, Soviet Stocks, is pretty swamped.

If I could even just ask him some questions. I still plan on completing the blank to 100% reciever myself
I don't think he is on this forum. I'll shoot him a text.

AK files is a good place for AK build info too. Don't get sucked into the politics area.

Are you doing a flat?

I may be able to help you with some questions. It's been a little while since my last build. I built the full-size 74. David at Soviet Stocks did the wood. It still doesn't have a finish on the receiver! yLCqzvd.jpg

Good luck on the russian kit. Hard to find and it'll be stupid expensive right now. Probably $3000+ for just the kit. Bulgarian AKS74U kits are close to $3k right now. Expect to add another $400+ for a Bulgy barrel. Don't want to know what a Russian barrel would cost.

For recovers you have milled and stamped. Stamped guns are pretty much the same. A stamped AK47 is a stamped AK47. Stamped 74 is a stamped 74. Milled I believe have more variance. There are also stamped variety too such as RPK and then the yugos are just weird.

You could take a Saiga kit (russian) and put it on a childers receiver. No way you are getting a legal russian receiver imported.

The last AK I built was a Bulgarian AK74. Soviet Stocks hooked me up and it rocks some of his Border Green wood. Soviet Stocks built my Bulgarian krink too. A guy local to me builds AKs like a madman in his garage! Wish I had that time, drive and the pile of kits!

Hmm so if russian kits are super hard to find/expensive and Saiga kits are Russian, are Saiga kits somehow cheaper? I'll snap up a Saiga np I don't even know the difference I'm just assuming that by Russian kit you mean the older wood n steel type of kit and Saiga kit is like the newer ones with rails and plastic stocks eh?

Hmm so if russian kits are super hard to find/expensive and Saiga kits are Russian, are Saiga kits somehow cheaper? I'll snap up a Saiga np I don't even know the difference I'm just assuming that by Russian kit you mean the older wood n steel type of kit and Saiga kit is like the newer ones with rails and plastic stocks eh?
Maybe. A demilled saiga will probably have been a problem gun, got damaged somehow or someone is trying to make a few bucks. Cutting up a saiga makes no sense to me. Why go through the extra work when it was a perfectly good rifle before it was mangled.

Saiga is built in the ishmash (I probably mangled the spelling) in russia. A Vepr is built in the merlot factory in russia. These were the 2 most popular russian imports while we could have them. The Vepr is a much heavier build rifle. Bigger trunnion, thicker receivers. Both are great rifles. I have several Saigas and a Vepr along with Bulgarian kit built rifles. The bulgies and the saiga are pretty much the same.

Any AK can have wood or plastic on it. Some of my saigas have plastic, one in particular has beautiful wood. My bulgies are wood by Soviet Stocks. My Vepr is wood and metal because that's how it came from the factory.

Most import russian guns come in a sporter configuration, trigger moved back, no pistol grip, no retainers for furniture on the barrels, and often the mags are proprietary. Add a bullet guide to use normal military mags. Move the FCG forward to add a pistol grip and a proper stock. Handguard retainers come in bolt on flavors as well as the proper retainer that requires the gas block and front sight to be removed to put the retainer in place.

Any kit that might be russian in origin will be crazy expensive because it's russian. Bulgarian will be a little cheaper. Parts kits are becoming hard to find right now. Place like gunjoker have convinced people they can sell anything for any crazy price. AOA often has parts, sometimes barreled receivers or populated barrels to make it easier.

Before you try to build figure out exactly what you want. Figure out what it'll cost to get the kit, receiver, rivets, tools to build. Figure out all the ins and outs. AKs take a lot more work and a lot more fitting than an AR or a Glock. I'd even say more than a BHP or a 1911. Even squishing rivets is an art.

Its much easier if you tap the trunnion holes and use screws. I know its not "the right way for an AK", however so far I have build 2 and they are holding up just fine. If you make sure the holes align perfect and are tight with no wiggle. It saves you the whole rivet ordeal. Its also easier to disassemble in case something is off.

My first build has over 5k rounds through it with no issues. I liked the trunnion up with the holes and then tapped both, trunnion and receiver in one go!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top