JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a while back I bought a few AK kits and some receivers and whatnot with the intention of building my own AKs.

Well the market for all that stuff has completely dried up so investing in the tooling to do it didn't seem wise anymore. I sold off the kits I had, I kept the 80% receivers because why not, and forgot about it.

Well I still have a very mint M72 RPK kit with matching numbers, and instead of selling it I decided that I would finish that one, as I have several AKs but no RPK. So I ordered a receiver for it and I'll order a barrel as well, but I need someone to finish it. Obviously I can't do that myself so I was hoping for some recommendations on good builders. Thanks!

if any one is wanting to part ways with a kit i am more then happy to provide a good warm home. on a side note. Any one know if at Polish Bolt will fit into a yugo64 trunnion?

I am in the process of building my first AK MD63 Romanian and bought most of the tools to build it by splitting the costs with my buddy who not only told my wife to buy me a kit for my birthday(she must love me) but I talked him into a buying a kit for himself for us to build together. I am curious how much it costs for someone else to build it though as I am sure my first build isn't perfect.

I have two Polish UF and a bulgy 74 that i still need to build i bought them 8 or so years ago. never got around to getting the tooling or other parts. just two months ago i finally got receivers for the UFs. just need barrels now and the same for the bulgy kit. have to check out that place in orting mentioned if im not going to get them done myself.

Tim Copeland, I got his name on this site. He built one for me and I thought the price was well worth it, he also did a bit of extra over and above the build like ramp polishing and a bit of trigger something or other. The only problem with Tim is he is swamped all the time so drop off your gun and a few weeks later.... He is over in Estacada area. 503-957-5231

I got into this a little bit, a long time ago (15-20 years ago) back when the parts were cheap. As I recall you could put together a whole rifle, complete with the requisite US parts, for something like $150.

A friend at work was into it and wanted my help. I had access to a milling machine at that time so I made a bending jig from a big piece of steel, and made a lot of the basic tools. I just looked around now and see that there is infinitely more information, tools, and components available now than there was then. I haven't paid attention in many years.

Back then it was just a fun project for mechanically minded hobbyists. Several of the guys from work got into it and built one for themselves. We had to have background checks just to work there so the thought of criminal intent of any sort never entered my mind. I lost interest in it when a couple of people I knew got really funny about it, like it was some kind of nefarious conspiracy to supply felons with machine guns.

I even lost a friend/acquaintance over it. It was an older guy from church, retired teacher. He liked to hunt and shoot, and we'd go to the range together on occasion, even had him and his wife over to dinner more than once. One day I was telling him about this cool project that we were working on, and he got really funny about it. The next time we went to the range, he brought his son with him, who was an Albany police officer. During the course of conversation at the range, I realized that I was being carefully interrogated by the son, about "homemade AK47s". I was open and nice about it, explained in detail about the process and legalities, how it was a fun project with no nefarious intent, and how we were extremely careful to follow applicable gun laws. He was clearly unconvinced and let me know that it concerned him.

I never saw either of them ever again. My supposed friend completely "ghosted" me, would never answer or return calls after that. It was the strangest thing. I fully expect that the son told him, "Dad, stay away from that guy. He's got to be some kind of right-wing, militia wacko" (completely NOT true). It was really strange.

I know some of you will think me a wimp for worrying about what people think, but I kind of lost interest in home-built guns after that, never even built an 80% AR, even though they look infinitely easier than an AK. Normally I don't care too much what other people think, but at the same time I don't particularly want to get some loony reputation either.

I was kind of over it anyhow; been there, done that, built a functional gun. I've thought about selling the tooling, but I suspect that the tools I made would really only work well for me. The tools you can buy are so much more refined and probably easier to use. I think I still have them somewhere, don't remember ever throwing them out, but also don't remember seeing them within the last decade.

I got into this a little bit, a long time ago (15-20 years ago) back when the parts were cheap. As I recall you could put together a whole rifle, complete with the requisite US parts, for something like $150.

A friend at work was into it and wanted my help. I had access to a milling machine at that time so I made a bending jig from a big piece of steel, and made a lot of the basic tools. I just looked around now and see that there is infinitely more information, tools, and components available now than there was then. I haven't paid attention in many years.

Back then it was just a fun project for mechanically minded hobbyists. Several of the guys from work got into it and built one for themselves. We had to have background checks just to work there so the thought of criminal intent of any sort never entered my mind. I lost interest in it when a couple of people I knew got really funny about it, like it was some kind of nefarious conspiracy to supply felons with machine guns.

I even lost a friend/acquaintance over it. It was an older guy from church, retired teacher. He liked to hunt and shoot, and we'd go to the range together on occasion, even had him and his wife over to dinner more than once. One day I was telling him about this cool project that we were working on, and he got really funny about it. The next time we went to the range, he brought his son with him, who was an Albany police officer. During the course of conversation at the range, I realized that I was being carefully interrogated by the son, about "homemade AK47s". I was open and nice about it, explained in detail about the process and legalities, how it was a fun project with no nefarious intent, and how we were extremely careful to follow applicable gun laws. He was clearly unconvinced and let me know that it concerned him.

I never saw either of them ever again. My supposed friend completely "ghosted" me, would never answer or return calls after that. It was the strangest thing. I fully expect that the son told him, "Dad, stay away from that guy. He's got to be some kind of right-wing, militia wacko" (completely NOT true). It was really strange.

I know some of you will think me a wimp for worrying about what people think, but I kind of lost interest in home-built guns after that, never even built an 80% AR, even though they look infinitely easier than an AK. Normally I don't care too much what other people think, but at the same time I don't particularly want to get some loony reputation either.

I was kind of over it anyhow; been there, done that, built a functional gun. I've thought about selling the tooling, but I suspect that the tools I made would really only work well for me. The tools you can buy are so much more refined and probably easier to use. I think I still have them somewhere, don't remember ever throwing them out, but also don't remember seeing them within the last decade.
If you ever change your mind Id love to learn, ive herd colol stuff about build parties in the past

AK build noob here. Totally interested but I have no idea how different parts kits match to different receivers. I was hoping to get a Russian parts kit (Basically impossible?) because from what I know only Russian parts kits work with Russian lowers is that correct? And for all you folks with a Russian parts kits and haven't built it yet, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

They can be done at home with hand tools and no more experience than knowing how to watch a youtube video.

80% receivers - childers are very nice. heat treated, rails installed, black oxide treated. You can even get the rivet holes pre-drilled though exact locations vary a bit by parts kit. They also have 100% receivers

Tools to finish - Toth tools

Rivet jaws for a harbor freight bolt cutter

Trigger guard install tool

Long rivet tool

if you need to install all the parts on the barrel then you need an extra barrel population tool.

If you have an 80% receiver, this jig to drill the pin holes

Parts kit
If you can get this one when it is in stock it is good.

Now this is a brand new parts kit and is made in the factory in Romania that makes the country's AK's. It has a populated barrel so you dont need to install anything on it or headspace it.

Now dont do this at home, but this kit contains the full auto parts. The parts are not illegal. The only NFA part is the 3rd pin hole in the receiver. As long as you dont drill that hole, you dont have a full auto AK.

Closeup of the picture:

1609290691260.png

Yes, it is $650 but it brand new and lets you finish an 80% parts kit with hand tools at home. no presses, no welding, etc And it comes with the full auto sear that is not an NFA part. Just dont under any reason drill that 3rd pin hole.

All together this is a $1000 build with tools for basically a brand new AK47 that is 80%

Fatf

I never saw either of them ever again. My supposed friend completely "ghosted" me, would never answer or return calls after that. It was the strangest thing.
Is this the true origin of ghost gun?
I am sorry your friend thought that. no you shouldn't care what anyone thinks. Nor should you let others influence what you believe to be best choice for you. just don't tell others that they need to go with your choice because you did.

Wow, it's a whole different world than back when I was into it. As I recall, the guys were buying the Romanian "kits" complete with original barrels, for $99, then something like $25 for triggers, and another $20 or so for a "flat".

We also didn't have all those tools; they simply didn't exist back then as I recall. It's still a fun project if you enjoy a challenge, but the costs now are way too rich for my blood.

I have nothing against AKs, but they're just not my thing. I built one for the challenge and experience but I never shoot it. It's funny how things change over the years. My first AK I bought at a gun show in Roseburg back in the '90s. Egyptian, came with a 1440 round case of Chinese surplus ammo, $220 total as I recall. I should have kept it, for what they sell for now. My next one was a Chinese MAK90, $225 from a county sheriff's auction. Back then the MAK90 was considered cheap junk. Now they sell for a premium. To each their own. :)

Is this the true origin of ghost gun?
I am sorry your friend thought that. no you shouldn't care what anyone thinks. Nor should you let others influence what you believe to be best choice for you. just don't tell others that they need to go with your choice because you did.

I didn't think about that- I was ghosted over a ghost gun! :)

I was sad about that. He was a good guy, and it's hard to find a range buddy who has the time and interest to shoot. You just never know what kind of reaction people will have, and some people have some hard-set preconceived notions.

I suppose it goes both ways. I had another friend years ago who I stopped hanging out with, for similar reasons. He was seriously into politics and such. I probably agreed with him on a lot of things, but he just got too angry and worked up about it. I didn't "ghost" him completely, just stopped hanging out.

I lost interest in it when a couple of people I knew got really funny about it, like it was some kind of nefarious conspiracy to supply felons with machine guns.

I even lost a friend/acquaintance over it. It was an older guy from church, retired teacher. He liked to hunt and shoot, and we'd go to the range together on occasion, even had him and his wife over to dinner more than once.

A lot of people still get weird about sporting rifles.

...And unfortunately a surprising number of these suspicious types are outdoorsmen and/or folks who belong to a shooting range.

I have seen the sideways looks.

Tread carefully out there fellas.

Last Edited:
AK build noob here. Totally interested but I have no idea how different parts kits match to different receivers. I was hoping to get a Russian parts kit (Basically impossible?) because from what I know only Russian parts kits work with Russian lowers is that correct? And for all you folks with a Russian parts kits and haven't built it yet, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

You are late to the party. Russian PLO kits with barrels were $1000 12 years ago and only kits without barrels after that. Even Romy non-matching kits with US barrels are OOS on AOA at this point and those were $509.

Good luck on the russian kit. Hard to find and it'll be stupid expensive right now. Probably $3000+ for just the kit. Bulgarian AKS74U kits are close to $3k right now. Expect to add another $400+ for a Bulgy barrel. Don't want to know what a Russian barrel would cost.

For recovers you have milled and stamped. Stamped guns are pretty much the same. A stamped AK47 is a stamped AK47. Stamped 74 is a stamped 74. Milled I believe have more variance. There are also stamped variety too such as RPK and then the yugos are just weird.

You could take a Saiga kit (russian) and put it on a childers receiver. No way you are getting a legal russian receiver imported.

The last AK I built was a Bulgarian AK74. Soviet Stocks hooked me up and it rocks some of his Border Green wood. Soviet Stocks built my Bulgarian krink too. A guy local to me builds AKs like a madman in his garage! Wish I had that time, drive and the pile of kits!

Good luck on the russian kit. Hard to find and it'll be stupid expensive right now. Probably $3000+ for just the kit. Bulgarian AKS74U kits are close to $3k right now. Expect to add another $400+ for a Bulgy barrel. Don't want to know what a Russian barrel would cost.

For recovers you have milled and stamped. Stamped guns are pretty much the same. A stamped AK47 is a stamped AK47. Stamped 74 is a stamped 74. Milled I believe have more variance. There are also stamped variety too such as RPK and then the yugos are just weird.

You could take a Saiga kit (russian) and put it on a childers receiver. No way you are getting a legal russian receiver imported.

The last AK I built was a Bulgarian AK74. Soviet Stocks hooked me up and it rocks some of his Border Green wood. Soviet Stocks built my Bulgarian krink too. A guy local to me builds AKs like a madman in his garage! Wish I had that time, drive and the pile of kits!
Where is this local guy? I have some parts and childers polish blank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top