Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone arrow an elk this weekend?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Pigdog, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Pigdog

Pigdog Vancouver, WA New Member

I hunted hard Saturday and Sunday. Nothing. They were there every time I checked on them all summer. I left them alone for a week and the moved.

2. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

That sucks! Did you see any fresh sign still?

3. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

One of my sponsors knocked one!
    Now I think he's moved on to a bear hunt.

I don't start till thurs

4. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Hillsboro, Oregon Member

Nine cows and eight calves filed past me at 10 yards...no bulls. Doh!!

5. 61henry

61henry Island City, Oregon Member

Saw about 100 cows and calfs and a few spikes and forkies but couldn't get close enough, couldn't seem to get any closer than 2 or 300 yards.

6. elkoholic79

elkoholic79 salem Member

Saw 2 branch bulls but the were out of range and not sticking around long

7. clownbuster

clownbuster Vancouver, WA Active Member

Heading to hunt my property in the Blues Tuesday, will be there till the end of the season.

8. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

Same as Pigdog. Watched them most of the summer, season starts and "poof" gone. Saw two recent rubs from the one I'm looking for but not a track or turd newer than a week old. The photo from my phone is really bad but you can see my bike leaning up against the tree for scale. The rub topped out at about seven feet tall. He was a heavy 6x7 last year and I'm hoping he's 7x7 now. Got a few more weeks to try and find him again! One thing I noticed different than the last few years is a lot more people. I saw more guys from Monday to Friday than my last 3 years combined, and I'm pretty far from the main roads. Maybe high unemployment so people have more time?
    bigrub.jpg

9. Pigdog

I got mine yesterday morning just before 7. A big fat 700 pound roosevelt cow. Double lung pass through from 35 yards. She ran about 50 yards and stopped to wait for the rest of the herd to catch up. She knew something was wrong but didn't really spook. Luckily she only made it another 100 yards before laying down right next to the trail, I didn't find one drop of blood. It all stayed in her body cavity and came gushing out like the scene from the shining. It took me and my two hunting buddies about nine hours to get her back to the truck.

10. gallogiro

Congrats on your cow! Any pictures?

11. Pigdog

Sorry, no pictures.
    I did, however finish butchering her out last night. 230 pounds, cut, wrapped and in the freezer.

12. gallogiro

**drool**

(we need to add a smiley that drools, lol)

13. CJ49er

CJ49er Lake Oswego Member

watched a 6pt fly across the road @50yrds in front of the truck as we were driving back to camp, followed by 2 of his cows. Couple guys chased after them into the bush, but those monsters can move!!! Almost got a shot at the bull @70yrds but no good. Going to try again tomorrow.
    On a brighter note, party member dropped a spike opening day....well, brighter for him I guess.

CJ

14. PapaTony

PapaTony Yamhill County, Oregon Member

Tag soup again this year. Got into elk 3/4 of the time but couldn't get in a spot close enough to shoot. I have to work all this week and out of town next weekend, so it looks like I'm done.

Maybe I'll head east of the mountains next year. I'm getting too old to be hoofing it through all this coastal brush!

CJ49er and (deleted member) like this.