JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hint: if a powder maker does not list a powder as usable in a cartridge there is usually a good reason, since they want to sell powder to as many people using as many cartridges as possible. Load data from unofficial sources must be viewed with caution, if not suspicion--hence the warning on the first page of QL........

Ya know, this works in many ways. I have published reloading data, including the Sierra manual I bought very recently, that shows Blue Dot for use in the .41 Mag. But, with the last batch made Alliant warned about using it in the 41 Mag... ? Apparently the powder changed slightly and was determined to be "unsafe" in the 41, but still have loads for the 357 and 44 Mags. Makes no sense, but so be it.
I just checked their web site and the warning is gone, but there is no listing for a 41 loading with Blue dot.

Guess it pays to be safe than sorry...

Hint: if a powder maker does not list a powder as usable in a cartridge there is usually a good reason, since they want to sell powder to as many people using as many cartridges as possible. Load data from unofficial sources must be viewed with caution, if not suspicion--hence the warning on the first page of QL........

I agree powder manufacturers are likely to provide load data for as many cartridges as they think they can. I just suspect that because Ruger has only just recently started making a strong gun in 44 special, and a lot of existing guns chambered 44 special aren't all that strong, there hasn't been much demand for high pressure loads to be developed in 44spl. I'm sure though Ramshot wants to sell powder they don't want to spend dollars developing loads for what might be a very small market.

I load 45 colt +p for a Ruger and a Rossi M92. As long as I've been reloading, there has always been load data for that. I'm sure at some point in time there wasn't published data though. How many Blackhawks had to be built in 45 colt before published load data caught up?

Bryan

Ps, @Benchrest, did you see the part where I requested the graph for 22gr in a 44mag? I'd really like to see the comparison if it's not to much trouble. Thanks for your help so far.

Ps, @Benchrest, did you see the part where I requested the graph for 22gr in a 44mag? I'd really like to see the comparison if it's not to much trouble. Thanks for your help so far.

44mag_zpslky7n7wl.jpg

When your talking saami pressures, in discussions with Ramshot lab guys, they haven't been willing to provide data for their powder not used within saami spec for the 44 special. So....you won't see Enforcer listed. It's that simple. I load 44 mag and 500 S&W with Enforcer and I like it, but....If your loading over saami spec with it in 44 special, I wouldn't be surprised that quick load might support it's use. It just won't be within saami spec. But many loads (Skeeter, Elmer, Seyfried etc.) aren't. I have the newer smaller frame flat top Ruger in 44 Special, but I won't be loading it over 20,000 and would prefer 18000 psi loads as a ceiling, due to the lesser thickness in the cylinder compared to the full size Blackhawk. Just some thoughts...

I used to load a 44 mag w/gas check over #11 and a additional GC on top w/a crimp
Latter I would just hot melt the loads into the case. I managed to drop one quail at 50 feet, in flight.
I have low expectations for bird shot inside a home from a pistol. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads