JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite with the threaded barrel cap

1.jpg

vs the Browning Buckmark:

BuckmarkHunter7.25BullBarrel22LR__84414.1573083705.jpg

I looked at these today at my LGS. Both about the same price. I know there are Buckmarks with shorter barrel, but that is what he had.

Ruger Pro
1. Looks
2. Nice rail
3. Threaded for a can
4. Pretty nice trigger
5. liteweight
6. Standard grip

Buckmark pros
1. Looks
2. Fiberoptic sight
3. VERY nice trigger.
4. Psuedo rail

Last Edited:
I have had the earlier 22/45 Lite since 2012, some days I shoot it fairly well others not. Some days it's too light for me to stabilize, sure is easy to carry. Has been reliable, only problem I've had with it was the tip of the windage adjustment screw fractured preventing proper sight adjustment. Seems the screw is a MIM part, WTH MIM for a screw? Ruger promptly sent me a replacement screw, has been good since.

I have had the earlier 22/45 Lite since 2012, some days I shoot it fairly well others not. Some days it's too light for me to stabilize, sure is easy to carry. Has been reliable, only problem I've had with it was the tip of the windage adjustment screw fractured preventing proper sight adjustment. Seems the screw is a MIM part, WTH MIM for a screw? Ruger promptly sent me a replacement screw, has been good since.

Hmmmm, since it's going to be target shooting only, you've got me worried about stabilizing it. I thought it might be easier to hold single handed than the heavy Buckmark, but not sure how much single handed I'd be doing.

Were you shooting two handed grip???

Note: I've seen guys shooting these short barreled .22s from a rest at flipper type targets. Short range, maybe 10yds.

Mark IV pros:
-Lower controls and shape closely resemble 1911
-Ruger's great customer service
-Huge aftermarket part availability
-Even if you dont get a suppressor you can still throw on a muzzlebreak

Move on this critter as fast as you can..

Move on this critter as fast as you can..

That's a great deal!!!

The new one I looked at in the LGS was $529 and only one mag.

What parts and why? Trigger parts?
I changed the firing control, then found that I was getting light primer strikes, the trigger weighs in under 2#, so that was likely the cause. I then replaced the hammer with a heavier hammer and the extractor with a heavier duty one while I was at it.

I didn't like the little blade rear sight, so I put a Volquartsen target rear sight on it. After the break-in period, I run cheap Hilo Federal without any problems.

I changed the firing control, then found that I was getting light primer strikes, the trigger weighs in under 2#, so that was likely the cause. I then replaced the hammer with a heavier hammer and the extractor with a heavier duty one while I was at it.

I didn't like the little blade rear sight, so I put a Volquartsen target rear sight on it. After the break-in period, I run cheap Hilo Federal without any problems.

Thanx for the clarification!!!

Hmmmm, since it's going to be target shooting only, you've got me worried about stabilizing it. I thought it might be easier to hold single handed than the heavy Buckmark, but not sure how much single handed I'd be doing.

Were you shooting two handed grip???

Note: I've seen guys shooting these short barreled .22s from a rest at flipper type targets. Short range, maybe 10yds.
For target I'd stay away from the Ruger Lite. I bought it for carry on the property however found myself using one of my edc's instead of a .22. A different set of grips may help me to stabilize it but...

And no rails, which I like.
I regularly shoot a Browning Nomad.. been in the family a long time, it's kinda like a Medalist bit not as heavy. I'd get the Browning!

Thx!

The Buckmark I was looking at was the Hunter model, which does have a rib. I don't see sight very well any more, so if I buy one, I'll be putting an optic on it after using the fiberoptic front sight for awhile. :)

The one big advantage to the MK's is the after market. Now of course many never care and will never buy anything. So for them it will of course not matter which. The LITE is very light. I can often shoot a little better with my old MKII that's steel and has a 5.5 tube when using the irons. Probably due to the weight and added sight radius. My person favorite is the LITE, Wife prefers the longer heavier MKII. So it's going to be a to each his own of course. Wife is still looking to buy one of the new MKIV's with a 10 inch tube. Not sure it will do much for me but what the hell. If it gets her to the range more it's fine with me :D
Now that I found out the MKIV mags fit that old MKII I ordered some more MKIV mags. Will not have to keep track of the damn mags and make sure I don't end up at the range with the wrong mags.

Thx!

The Buckmark I was looking at was the Hunter model, which does have a rib. I don't see sight very well any more, so if I buy one, I'll be putting an optic on it after using the fiberoptic front sight for awhile. :)

Sounds like me. I can't really see the irons well at all inside the range any more. Something about the lighting in there really makes it rough on old eyes. Bought a few quick mounts that run around $10 so I can slap a dot on and off everything with a rail. It makes it FAR more fun. I was quite surprised at how well they hold zero when moved from one gun to another for something so damn cheap.

I had a S&W Victory that I bought a few years ago to use specifically for my local speed steel match. There was a rule change that stated that all firearms had to start with the manual safety on if said firearm came equipped with a manual safety. Well I'm a lefty, so that screwed me pretty good. Eventually I sold it to one of my speed steel buddies and promptly went out and bought an MK4 22/45, as those come equipped with ambi safeties standard. I also really like the push button takedown! :)