JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

This is my first thread on this site, so let me start by saying thanks in advance for the replies.

I am in the process of private selling my Ruger 'Old Model' Blackhawk .357 to a coworker and was planning on using the money to buy a new 9mm. My primary uses for the gun will be general plinking/target practice and HD. I would love to get a Glock 17 Gen 4 but they are out of my price range even with the sale of my Blackhawk. My favorite LGS owner was telling me about the S&W SD9SE and said it is a perfect gun for my intended use and is only asking $300. It comes with two 16rnd mags but that's about it. If I got this gun I would have enough left in my budget to buy a third clip and about 300rnds of ammo. May even get a 9mm die to add to my grandpas reloading bench.

Anyway, I was looking to see if anyone here owns or has fired one of these handguns. I am admittedly not that familiar with semiautomatics as I grew up mostly shooting revolvers and rimfire rifles. Please give your feedback if you own a SD9 or SD9SE as they are mechanically the same gun. Thanks.

If you can handle a consistant 12lb trigger pull. Otherwise in that price range I would go Ruger P95. Or if you can find one the Bersa 9mm come in hi cap if you can find one also. Personaly I would bump up my budget anoth $100 or so and your into the older XD Glock price range

I fondled one extensively the other day at Brightwater. I was actually pretty impressed. At the price point it sells for, I would definitely consider it. It gave me the overall feeling that a Glock and an XD had an illegitimate love child.

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys. I've actually changed my mind and am now looking at getting a ruger sr9 instead. The price on the sd9se had fine up to $329 and the sr9 is only $380, and I can get it in black stainless slide with black poly. The sr9 has a better trigger, nicer sights, is slimmer, equally ergonomic, and comes with Terri 17rnd clips. Seems worth the extra $51 and I don't mind the redundant safetys.

Any thoughts on the sr9?

I have an SR9c that I carry daily and it is a great gun. It is really soft on recoil, so follow up shots are extremely quick and accurate as well.

Look into the SR9c instead of the SR9. The compact can still accept the full size mags, and it comes with one out of the box, but if you ever decide you want to carry concealed, then you will already have a handgun that you can carry and avoid that additional expense down the road. When I go to bed, I put the full size mag in my SR9c and have it on my nightstand. In the morning, I replace it with the compact mag and put it IWB where it sits all day.

In the efforts of full disclosure, I did have a problem with the Ruger out of the box. It would fail to reset the trigger about 1 in 5 shots, which is not acceptable. I returned it to Ruger to fix it under warranty, they returned it to me with the same problem. I was a little distraught, but gave them a second chance. They replaced my gun with a new one, and the new one has had no malfunctions at all over 1500 rounds. I am very happy with this new one, and glad that Ruger has good customer service when a bad one gets out the door.

BTW, the stainless slide model looks great, I would highly recommend it over the black on black. The only thing I had to do was polish the barrel hood. It is a really dull gray that does not look good next to the stainless, so some fine sandpaper and a buffing wheel polished it right up, now it looks as good as it shoots!

Thanks Allfat. since I really have no interest in concealed carry, I think I'll still get the full size. The only time I will carry will be open carry while hunting, camping and some backwoods hiking and I like the feel of the full grip and the 4" barrel with longer sight radius. I am however slightly conflicted between the stainless and blackened slides. I tend to like all-blued better, but have only seen the stainless version in person. Any input? Or even better, anyone have one and want to share pics?

Still on the hunt for the new firearm, any other input on the sd9se or sr9?

My input on slide color is this.

I personally like the stainless slide for a couple of reasons.

1. I just like the way it looks.
2. I like the idea of a stainless slide over an alloy slide

The blackened slide is a steel alloy that has a black finish applied to it. I hear it is extremely tough, but I know that stainless can't wear off and ruin the finish.

Either way you go, you have a winner of a gun. Enjoy!

Thanks again Allfat. Unfortunately my Ruger Blackhawk sale fell through as I was starting to expect it would. Think I'll try posting it here and see if I can stir up interest from the locals. Gotta sell it before I can get this semi. Kinda have a one handgun limit for myself (at least for now).

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews