JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
from cheapest, sometimes most reliable, sometimes not;
1. anything Hi Point carbine. available in 9mm, .40, .45. all are limited to 9 rounds or less.
2. Kel Tec Sub-2000; available in 9mm, 40, 45? takes SW 59 or Glock magazines
3. Mac-11 carbines-uses either Sten magazines or Uzi magazines
4. Uzi carbines-Uzi obviously,.
5. Ruger PC series, 9mm and .40, uses P series magazines
6. Marlin Camp 9 carbines, uses SW 59 magazines
7. various .22LR AKs,
8. various AR 9mm, .22 builds
now those are semi automatics; there are more bolt actions and lever actions in pistol calibers that I know of.

Lever?

Marlin 94 in .357 or .44 mag. A much better gun than the Winchester for accuracy and scope mounting concerns. Either gun will feed and fire the milder brethren (.38spl or .44spl) Look for a good used one, preferably without the crossbolt safety. Warning: the word is out on these little guns, and prices are skyrocketing.

Auto (for hunting)? Ruger Deerstalker .44 Magnum.

Pre-2009 Marlin 1894's, which come in 357 and 44 mag. Lever actions, shoot lights out, holds ten rounds. Weight and balance are good, as well as recoil. 44 mag better hunting, but 357 obviously cheaper, although the 357 is getting harder to find

If you can cough up the dough the 77/44 ruger is quite nice, all the 77 features, integral scope bases , etc. If I had my choice of one this would be it, accurate, capable of actual hunting, very well made.

I have a Ruger PC9. It's great. However, for the price of that gun I could have two Hi-Point's in the caliber of my choice. I will own the 9mm, .40s&w and .45acp Hi-Point carbines soon. The Keltec Sub2000's are excellent value. I prefer the Hi-Point, but either way you have one of the best deals on the market. Marlin Camp 9's are fun and belong on your list. Of course, maybe you're going with a few more dollars. Like H&K dollars. that opens a whole new door. All Sub2000's and Hi-Points can be had for under $300. After you shoot one you will wonder why they are so inexpensive and why you didn't buy 6 of them years ago. A Marlin in good condotion for $500 or less is a good deal. A Ruger PC4 or PC9 or under $550 is good. I personally cannot comment on the lever actions. I am interested in a .357 mag lever carbine if the right buy/trade came along, I just don't have the experience to comment. I have fired 1,000's of guns since I was 5 years old. That is not to brag, my point is that in all my shooting history I have a hard time thinking of a gun that is more pure "fun" than a .40 Hi-Point carbine. I hope you enjoy whichever carbine you decide upon. Kip

Kel-Tec's website says the Sub 2000 is not available in .45.
Kel Tec CNC

The ugly, low-capacity Hi-Point 4595 may indeed be cheap and function reliably, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good value in my book.

There aren't many affordable, reliable .45 carbines out there, and it's the only caliber I'm looking for because it can be suppressed. It's too bad that the ATI Just Right Carbine in .45 is developing a reputation for feeding problems.

The best bet in .45 looks like the Mech Tech kit mated to a Glock 21SF.
MechTech - Glock
At least within my price range, anyways.

Anybody have any first-hand experience with the Mech Tech Glock kit?

I have a Ruger PC9. It's great. However, for the price of that gun I could have two Hi-Point's in the caliber of my choice. I will own the 9mm, .40s&w and .45acp Hi-Point carbines soon. The Keltec Sub2000's are excellent value. I prefer the Hi-Point, but either way you have one of the best deals on the market. Marlin Camp 9's are fun and belong on your list. Of course, maybe you're going with a few more dollars. Like H&K dollars. that opens a whole new door. All Sub2000's and Hi-Points can be had for under $300. After you shoot one you will wonder why they are so inexpensive and why you didn't buy 6 of them years ago. A Marlin in good condotion for $500 or less is a good deal. A Ruger PC4 or PC9 or under $550 is good. I personally cannot comment on the lever actions. I am interested in a .357 mag lever carbine if the right buy/trade came along, I just don't have the experience to comment. I have fired 1,000's of guns since I was 5 years old. That is not to brag, my point is that in all my shooting history I have a hard time thinking of a gun that is more pure "fun" than a .40 Hi-Point carbine. I hope you enjoy whichever carbine you decide upon. Kip

Did yours come with a 18lb trigger pull too? I had guys ask me 'Is the safety still on?' 'No, that's the trigger.'

I went with the Uzi. It's designed for 9mmP and works. The Vector's are running $750 or so and parts and mags are very cheap right now as the Germans have dumped their supply on the market.

The only down side is it's a pain to mount optics on it.

H

bsw_with_uzi_18jun10_2.jpg

IMG_5951Medium.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Does the M1 carbine qualify as a pistol caliber?

Well lets see if an AR style pistol qualifys the AR carbine same with a AK pistol qualifying a AK as a pistol caliber carbine then the M1 Carbine has to qualify as well.

Cause there is the Universal Enforcer pistol (exactly the same kind of cut done carbine as an AK or AR pistol)

PLUS add in the AMT Automag III, The Ruger Blackhawk,Thompson Center Contender, Taurus Raging Thirty, and a couple others including a Smith and Wesson revolver. Were all made in or designed expecially for the .30 M1 round.

SO yes the Carbine Designed to replace a Pistol qualifys as a Pistol caliber Carbine.

IMHO

I've only had three pistol caliber carbines; a 9mm beretta storm, and 2 ruger .44mag carbines.

Other than a heavy trigger pull and the fact that it's hard to reach the bolt release with my little hands, the storm is definitely one of the most fun guns I've ever shot. Accurate, reliable, lightweight, comfortable, and most importantly, it looks badass.

Ruger carbines are also in my all time top ten list. Accurate, reliable (just can't shoot lead or light loads), quick handling, and lots of power for the size. I don't hunt, but if I did and didn't plan on shooting more than 100 yards, a ruger .44 is what I would carry. It's a shame ruger didn't sell enough of them to keep them in production.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top