JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
trains, you make some good points, but what problem I can see with a Class A + a tow vehicle is that now you have to maintain two engines and are at the risk of two motor vehicles needing service. Also, I can imagine that a beastly Class A with a tow vehicle must really have some low fuel mileage compared to a 5th wheeler being pulled by a large diesel truck. Although, I could be wrong about that. Another thing is that it seems Class A motorhomes are very expensive, considerably more expensive than buying a trailer. If money was no object and I was a wealthy guy, perhaps I could have my $100,000 motorhome tugging along my BMW, but I just don't have resources. Of course, I could go with an old used motorhome, but I'd be worry to buy any old motor vehicle, wheras I would be less worried buying a used trailer that appeared in used condition. At least there is not a motor, that I risk having to repair. It is a lot harder to assess the condition of an engine in a motorhome then the living quarters of a trailer. This is all speculation, but that is how I feel now with my limited knowledge.

I am not far from the Camping World people mentioned and think I will take a quick stop in tomorrow just to check them out, since I am passing by Troutdale/Wood Village area.

trains, you make some good point, but what problem I can see with a Class A + a tow vehicle is that now you have to maintain two engines and are at the risk of two motor vehicles needing service. Also, I can imagine that a beastly Class A with a tow vehicle must really have some low fuel mileage compared to a 5th wheeler being pulled by a large diesel truck. Although, I could be wrong about that. Another thing is that it seems Class A motorhomes are very expensive, considerably more expensive than buying a trailer.

In an earlier post I mentioned MPG issue. Fully loaded at 20,000 pounds, I got 8.65mpg averaged out over 8,600 miles across the US this spring. This was measured with both a digital Scangage (reads the computer in real time) and gasoline receipts. A diesel towing an equivalent size trailer will do no better.

Class As, and any RV in general, take a huge depreciation rather quickly. Mine was over $80k new. When I bought it it was at the time 9 years old with 45k miles on the engine and I paid $21k...less than the price of a new car. At the same time that I bought mine, a co-worker bought his. It was the same age as mine, was originally $200k, and he gave $40k for it.. Both depreciated about 80% in the same time frame. Yes, they are more expensive than a trailer by itself, but add the cost of the truck to pull it with and the overall package becomes more equal. Another thing to consider, 10 year old motorhomes do not have the mileage of 10 year old cars. If anything you have to worry about them not being run enough.

My tow car is my daily commuter, so it is no more expensive to own than if I didn't use it as a tow.

Its all give and take. Check 'em all out before you make your decision. You may even try renting a few different combinations to see what you like the best. If you are just a weekender, don't eschew a good Class B or C either. Neither are really set up well for full timing it, but can be really sweet for a quick week away.

Keith

This is quite correct. The length of a tagalong includes the tongue.

In my case, I chose a Class A/towed vehicle versus a 5th wheel or tagalong for two main reasons. Once I reach my destination, I have a 40mpg vehicle that I can tour with, and in the event of my RV's engine giving out, I am still mobile with the tow car. With a 5th wheel or tagalong, you are using that same big vehicle to tour your destination and if your truck's engine gives out, you are stuck until help arrives.

Keith

This is why, I personally prefer a 5th wheel toy hauler.(with separate garage.). A guy can throw in an on-off road dirt bike or a nice harley.( they get between 40-50 m.p.g.) and when you get where you are going, you can jump on your bike. or if you break down, you got your bike.. :)

This is why, I personally prefer a 5th wheel toy hauler.(with separate garage.). A guy can throw in an on-off road dirt bike or a nice harley.( they get between 40-50 m.p.g.) and when you get where you are going, you can jump on your bike. or if you break down, you got your bike.. :)

Very true. One reason I wound up with the setup I have is work. I parked the RV and car at an RV site in the central WA high desert next to a huge lake and commuted the 7 miles to the job site in the car. In the summer months, it was Kayak City and I just had to go out my front door and I was in the water :) .

Winter was a bit different. We were lucky if it got above 20F from late Nov. through early Feb. Brrr!

Keith

Whatever you decide on PLEASE pay a reputable shop or an indy RV tech to perform an inspection. We regularly have people come in who bought an RV from someone and were told "That everything works just fine" (by the seller) and then want an estimate to fix this or that and then we have to tell them the bad news - complete plumbing systems freeze damaged, dry rot beyond repair - you name it I have seen it. Pay to have an inspection and negotiate the cost out of the seller if it checks out ok. If the seller denies you taking it for an inspection pass it by.

Another source of good information is an RV park. We did the trailer thing for a few years but when we decided to go the motorhome route we would walk through an RV park and when we saw a rig we liked we asked the folks there how they liked it. RV people are in general a very (!) friendly group. They also invariably like to talk about thier rigs. Make sure you leave you self plenty of time. We spent hours talking with people and even had some invite us in to see their rig inside.

The RV park up at Welches is a good place. But any RV park will do very well. You'll be amazed how friendly, helpful and informative RVers are as a group;

Motorhomes are nice, but I have a major issue with motorhomes. A truck/trailer combo can cost just as much as a motorhome. But with the motorhome, when you are not using it, you have 100% of that money sitting there, doing nothing. With a truck/trailer combo, you only have half of that money, sitting there doing nothing when you are not using it. You can still daily drive the truck, go get a load of barkdust, pick up a washer and dryer, etc. A motorhome can do none of these things A truck is a very useful thing to have.

There is no 'best' RV - other than what you find that works best for you. The biggest problem I see is people 'overbuying' an RV with size being first on the 'overbuy' list. Most do not evaluate their real needs in an RV and buy way to big and are dissatisfied with their choice.

Yup, that's another good point. Buy what you can afford, not to impress the neighbors.

Final note: Motorhomes, trailers etc qualify as second homes for tax purposes, and if you use them for work, can be depreciated as well.

Keith

Can I just go into an RV park and start asking people about their homes? I don't want to feel like I am intruding on their privacy or anything. Sorry, I know I feel a bit overwhelmed about how I can get more hands on knowledge of the RVs. I just never feel comfortable listening to anything a dealer will say to me, as he will be just trying to push what he sells on me and may give me false information to better benefit himself. An RV park sounds a like a great idea, but I am afraid of people thinking I am crazy for going up to them and asking to see their RV or ask RV-related questions. That does sound ideal to me and I can expect to hear more honest answers from RV consumers who have been doing it a long time. It would be nice for people to show me their various setups.

I've been thinking a bit about what type of setup I want to do. I already know because of my job and other issues, I cannot become an RV full-timer. I figure it's better to do it part-time anyway, before you devote your life to the lifestyle. I probably will rent a cheap place when I move to Idaho and try to get an inexpensive RV and truck setup. The only way I can possibly finance an RV with a car, is to sell my SUV and get a cheaper auto along with an older RV. Does anyone think a $40,000 truck + RV combo would get me a decent setup? I fear buying older trucks, although I think a truck can outlast a car. My 1999 Ford Ranger died on me after 120,000 miles, which makes me wonder a bit about Fords. I assume the F250s+ and the newer models are built better and to last longer? Someone here mentioned that the newer models are more prone to mechanical issues, due to the 6.5L engine being used? Ughh, it's so confusing. One advantage of a motorhome would be that I could drive a low MPG car, but I do lose the benefits of a truck. My Toyota Highlander amazes me with how much it can haul and I'd miss having that ability. On the other hand, I don't do much hauling of stuff on a daily basis.

Can I find a decent sized motorhome for under $25,000? Trains, you managed to get a nice RV within this price range. It seems from your post, that it has been running nice for you. I have to admit a motorhome sounds like a nice option, but I would be terrified at what potential repair costs I may incur if the motorhome encounters any mechanical problems. Is it true that motorhomes are built to last longer than passenger cars? Are parts for a motorhome engine, transmission, etc considerably more than for like a passenger car? Mechanical fears of the motorhome is the main fear that keeps me from considering them. I know a travel trailer or 5th wheeler I have to only worry about the living space of the trailer and minimal mechanics versus both mechanics and living quarters of the motorhome.

Tough decision isn't it? :) .

$40k will get you an absolutely awesome truck/trailer combo, especially if you stick with a gas engine. If you look, you can buy a really, really nice trailer, not too old, for under $10k and a nice 3/4 or 1 ton standard cab for well under $20k. If your SUV is a 3/4 or 1 ton with a V8 you could get a fairly roomy tagalong and not need to buy the truck. Even a V6 might be OK if the trailer isn't too heavy. Remember, only buy something that weighs less than what your vehicle is capable of towing.

$25k will get you a very nice gas motorhome, 8 to 9 years old, provided you don't need a fancy interior or a gazillion popouts. Check out the Fleetwood Bounder series. They are universally recognized as the best 'bang for the buck' motorhome.

Class 'A' gas motorhomes are built on a truck chassis, which are rated for many times the carrying capacity of a one ton pickup. Think of a FedEx or bread delivery truck. Ford uses the F53 chassis (millions and millions throughout the world) with an ancient leaf spring suspension system. Chevy uses a similar chassis but with a coil suspension. The Ford is generally rated for more carrying capacity and has a stronger engine, but the Chevy has a much better ride. Diesels use a variety of truck chassis like Freightliner. The thing with a motorhome is that you have a truck AND a home in one unit, so you potentially have twice the problem potential. And it isn't too much of a stretch to say that 'everything costs $200 for a motorhome'. Wait until you fill up a 75 gallon tank for the first time :) . Also, diesel engines are much more expensive to service than a gas engine, so your most economical choice is the gasser.

Truck or RV, a great source for potential purchases is Craigslist. That's how I bought my current unit.

If you go to a 'destination' RV park, one where folks go to hang out at the beach, the river, etc you should have no problem walking around and striking up conversations with owners. It'd be a bit awkward if you did that at a park that people live in.

Keith

4freedom, yes you ca ask people about their rigs and they won't take offense. RVers are very friendly and each one knows they have the best rig and will be glad to tell you about it. :)
Really, if you ask politely and tell them why you are interested I think you will be amazed at the wealth of information you'll collect.

One thing I don't get is why some people say travel trailers have more living space and others say 5th wheelers have more living space. So, which is, Travel Trailers or 5th Wheelers? I am really confused.

I believe that with travel trailers, they add the length of the front pull arms and hitch to the stated length, making the actual length of the "living box" about 4' shorter than the stated length. Check me out, I could be wrong but that's what I recall.

I've had a ton of motor homes, (bought for pulling boats) 5th wheels and travel trailers. If I were setting out just on my own for the camping etc. you are mentioning, I'd want a travel trailer and a pickup with canopy. It will be way cheaper because you can get a pickup with a factory tow package, and the travel trailer is cheaper. I don't find them hard to pull or back up at all. I think the minimum size (for me) for a self contained trailer is 22' and you might just look at that. 24 or 26 would be nicer, but I could live with 22. If you're not into fancy, and on your own, you don't need a tipout. A canopy is sure nice, but remember, if the weather is good, you can take a chair outside. Many places you can even cook and eat outside.

I'm working on your budget here, and camping is camping, LOL.

PS you can pull a fairly modern 22' with a heavy 1/2 ton like a Ford F150 with the bigger gas engine - even the 5.4.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top