JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It all depends on the conditions and how long that firefight is.

The M-16 or AR15 can work effectively in firefights as has been proven for about 50 years now.

The issue is when guys were humping through the nasty vietnam swaps blowing out full auto and not cleaning their guns for weeks or months. They quickly figured out that didn't work well.
Heck you could probably in 3-4 mins pull out the bcg and hose down the chamber, bcg/firing pin with lube and throw in back in to prevent malfunction.

People will always say they are flawed, but people say the same thing about glocks.

There have been just as many torture tests done that say the opposite

They don't even need to be cleaned, much- just a solid understanding of what does and doesn't make 'em run.

What makes them not run: being run dry, fouled or not
What makes them run: lube... and the more the merrier.

And it's truly, positively, absolutely as simple as that. I can't begin to tell you how many tens of thousands of problem-free rounds of 5.56 I've put through dozens of these guns... it's an outstanding platform that will live in legend long after it's gone- more so than any other firearm in the history of the West.

Now STFU - this horse has been dead since the 60s.

I've had 5 ARs and done the same, 1000s of rounds through them and never had any kind of hiccup other than some light primer strikes and that was due to lighter hammer springs that were in that particular AR, after swapping the springs out it ran like a dream.

I do love my ARs. Reliability has never been an issue.. However I dislike the 5.56x45 & .223 cartrages.

Im a 7.62x39 and .308 guy. That and the AR cleaning does get annoying.. I usually lose all those .22 cleaning bits.

If I had to grab just one rifle it'd be an AK hands down, that being said an AR would make a fine substitute in a pinch.

I was issued a FA M-14, the selector switch was mounted on the Right rear receiver, one could not remove or install it in the field without punches and hammer, plus the necessary cover piece. I replaced it w/an M-2 carbine

My M-14 was issued without the selector switch, I had the infantry armorer install one for a case of beer. I still have the selector. Oops, dang! I was just looking at it and dropped it down the toilet, gone now!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top