Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another report on the M-16

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Sabertooth, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

forefathersrback likes this.
  2. Sabertooth

3. Sabertooth

4. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Twisted, slanted, biased reports full of whining complaints.
    Clean your rifle.
    It's your tool of your trade, soldiers!
    It's a matter of life or death, if not yours, your buddies.
    For all you Marines, carry on..

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

It's like doing the maintenance on your vehicle!!!! Do it & you should not have too many MAJOR problems!!!!

6. Sabertooth

Maintenance in the middle of a firefight??? I was to busy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It all depends on the conditions and how long that firefight is.

The M-16 or AR15 can work effectively in firefights as has been proven for about 50 years now.

The issue is when guys were humping through the nasty vietnam swaps blowing out full auto and not cleaning their guns for weeks or months. They quickly figured out that didn't work well.
    Heck you could probably in 3-4 mins pull out the bcg and hose down the chamber, bcg/firing pin with lube and throw in back in to prevent malfunction.

People will always say they are flawed, but people say the same thing about glocks.

There have been just as many torture tests done that say the opposite

rick benjamin likes this.
  8. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They don't even need to be cleaned, much- just a solid understanding of what does and doesn't make 'em run.

What makes them not run: being run dry, fouled or not
    What makes them run: lube... and the more the merrier.

And it's truly, positively, absolutely as simple as that. I can't begin to tell you how many tens of thousands of problem-free rounds of 5.56 I've put through dozens of these guns... it's an outstanding platform that will live in legend long after it's gone- more so than any other firearm in the history of the West.

Now STFU - this horse has been dead since the 60s.

KTM530XCW and clearconscience like this.
  9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've had 5 ARs and done the same, 1000s of rounds through them and never had any kind of hiccup other than some light primer strikes and that was due to lighter hammer springs that were in that particular AR, after swapping the springs out it ran like a dream.

10. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I do love my ARs. Reliability has never been an issue.. However I dislike the 5.56x45 & .223 cartrages.

Im a 7.62x39 and .308 guy. That and the AR cleaning does get annoying.. I usually lose all those .22 cleaning bits.

If I had to grab just one rifle it'd be an AK hands down, that being said an AR would make a fine substitute in a pinch.

11. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I was issued a FA M-14, the selector switch was mounted on the Right rear receiver, one could not remove or install it in the field without punches and hammer, plus the necessary cover piece. I replaced it w/an M-2 carbine

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My M-14 was issued without the selector switch, I had the infantry armorer install one for a case of beer. I still have the selector. Oops, dang! I was just looking at it and dropped it down the toilet, gone now!

Sabertooth and U201491 like this.