JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"He who defines the terms wins the debate."

Here is a list of "mass" shootings I just found, as far as I can tell it uses the "3 or more people shot" criteria for calling an incident a "mass shooting" and from what I can tell the data proves you wrong, but maybe the issue is that shootings no longer captivate the news cycle like they once did, so news sources (some more than others) play up anything they can to generate 'clicks'

Contrast the above FBI data with this, same year. Clearly the FBI has a different set of definitions than the Gun Violence Archives.

Something to consider when data is posted...

It is easy to prove oneself "right" or the other person "wrong".....
If the only data posted is all one sided or cherry picked to get the result one wants.
Andy
Indeed. Gun violence archives just says where "3 or more people are involved" and thats it.. they have also defined "school shootings" as any shooting within 1000ft of a school, regardless of time of day, where it happens (on campus, or just off campus on the streets? Doesn't matter if its under 1000ft from the school! Its a school shooting!)

Contrast the above FBI data with this, same year. Clearly the FBI has a different set of definitions than the Gun Violence Archives.

Meh. The one I posted was "mass shootings" the FBI one was "active shooters" using this definition:
The FBI defines an active shooter as one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.

Not the same

Meh. The one I posted was "mass shootings" the FBI one was "active shooters" using this definition:
The FBI defines an active shooter as one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.

Not the same
The FBI data also include incidents where more than 3 people killed= mass killing/shooting. Your link only says a mass shooting is when more than 3 people are involved. Looking at the incident casaulties lists, a lot have just 1 dead, 0 injuries, but because there were more than 3 people involved (shooter vs cops or shooters vs shooters or victims or....) :rolleyes:

Indeed. Gun violence archives just says where "3 or more people are involved" and thats it.. they have also defined "school shootings" as any shooting within 1000ft of a school, regardless of time of day, where it happens (on campus, or just off campus on the streets? Doesn't matter if its under 1000ft from the school! Its a school shooting!)
Where did you see that? This is what I found

Mass Shooting Methodology and Reasoning

Mass Shootings are, for the most part an American phenomenon.(No, they aren't and the "study" that said they were was deeply flawed) While they are generally grouped together as one type of incident they are several different types including public shootings, bar/club incidents, family annihilations, drive-by, workplace and those which defy description but with the established foundation definition being that they have a minimum of four victims shot, either injured or killed, not including any shooter who may also have been killed or injured in the incident. GVA also presents the count of Mass Murder which, like the FBI's definition is four or more victims, killed, not including the shooter. Mass Murder by gun is a subset of the Mass Shooting count.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/explainer

Something to consider when data is posted...

It is easy to prove oneself "right" or the other person "wrong".....
If the only data posted is all one sided or cherry picked to get the result one wants.
Andy
Andy riding herd on the Saturday school detention class again.
images.jpeg-292.jpg

Just to add a little humor here in this thread....

Last week...some kid farted loudly in class...old socks , gym locker rooms , wet dog , skunk spray....
All had nothing on the stench and fallout created here.
I am surprised it was not listed as a mass casualty event.... :D
Andy

Where did you see that? This is what I found

Mass Shooting Methodology and Reasoning

Mass Shootings are, for the most part an American phenomenon.(No, they aren't and the "study" that said they were was deeply flawed) While they are generally grouped together as one type of incident they are several different types including public shootings, bar/club incidents, family annihilations, drive-by, workplace and those which defy description but with the established foundation definition being that they have a minimum of four victims shot, either injured or killed, not including any shooter who may also have been killed or injured in the incident. GVA also presents the count of Mass Murder which, like the FBI's definition is four or more victims, killed, not including the shooter. Mass Murder by gun is a subset of the Mass Shooting count.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/explainer
Screenshot_20240217_092659_Chrome.jpg
so what are these.. ? Click the link i gave, scroll sideways and you'll see their data contradicts their stated "explanation".

Just to add a little humor here in this thread....

Last week...some kid farted loudly in class...old socks , gym locker rooms , wet dog , skunk spray....
All had nothing on the stench and fallout created here.
I am surprised it was not listed as a mass casualty event.... :D
Andy
I did that yesterday at work repeatedly.
My all female crew said nothing, but stayed far away from me for hours.
Winning.

The FBI data also include incidents where more than 3 people killed= mass killing/shooting. Your link only says a mass shooting is when more than 3 people are involved. Looking at the incident casaulties lists, a lot have just 1 dead, 0 injuries, but because there were more than 3 people involved (shooter vs cops or shooters vs shooters or victims or....) :rolleyes:
Sure, but a bigger problem (and one I missed when I posted that) was the question revolved around "the last 7" and that list was from 2022
Mea Culpa

Here is a more current list, and remember, the issue was the perpetrators of the last 7 mass shootings

Sure, but a bigger problem (and one I missed when I posted that) was the question revolved around "the last 7" and that list was from 2022
Mea Culpa

Here is a more current list, and remember, the issue was the perpetrators of the last 7 mass shootings

I couldn't find more current FBI data for mass killings/active shooter incidents. Thats why I went to the 2022 archives, just to point out that there are different definitions and different reporting data and that what one clearly biased site reports, doesn't necessarily mean literal "epidemic of mass shootings" if they don't mean "more than 3 people killed per FBI data". You will also note that the FBI purposefully excluded gang killings in their data.

Some insight as to why violent events are increasing along with mental instability, over medication, and many other things that would have seemed unthinkably strange just a few years ago.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top