JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another sad example of negligent parenting. Perhaps a safety course and a permit should be required before allowing someone to have a child. We will see what standard applies in this case. Will the parents be arrested? Will DSHS intervene to protect the children? And again, we read that phrase "the gun went off" as if it acted on its own.

"the gun went off" I hate that phrase! It only perpetuates the FUD around firearms.

I have my first kid on the way...I'll have to make some important gun storage decisions here soon. But you can bet I'll be "gun proofing the kids"!

"the gun went off" I hate that phrase! It only perpetuates the FUD around firearms.

I have my first kid on the way...I'll have to make some important gun storage decisions here soon. But you can bet I'll be "gun proofing the kids"!

NRA Eddie Eagle is a good start

THE ONLY WAY TO GUN PROOF A CHILD is to educate and include the child in the use of firearms. The greatest danger for a child and firearms is curiosity. A child that is around firearms the firearms are part of their normal world. Will not be the child trying to pick the lock on dads nighstand safe or digging around under the bed for the shotgun,

By age 5 my son was quite able to chew out adults for mishandling firearms and he did at more then one gun show. He had been shooting for a year already and knew all the rules of safe gun handling. In all the time he was living at home (almost 19 years) I never once worried about him at home with firearms. Cause if he wanted to shoot all he had to to was ask and he knew he could. I worried about his friends in high school but i knew that them being locked up would be sufficient. Since he would never go along with any thing they cooked up.

I agree education is critical, but with children so young, keeping weapons out of reach is priority #1.

Children at such a young age are going to make mistakes, and it's better for them not to have unsupervised access to weapons in the first place. You can't train every kid in the neighborhood to be safe around guns.

I agree education is critical, but with children so young, keeping weapons out of reach is priority #1.

Children at such a young age are going to make mistakes, and it's better for them not to have unsupervised access to weapons in the first place. You can't train every kid in the neighborhood to be safe around guns.

Not really, as said earlier, 5 years old is not too young.

Not really, as said earlier, 5 years old is not too young.
Just like anyone else, drill, drill, drill and they will remember. My brother-in-law teaches his kids (smallest is now 6) and takes them shooting frequently. They get so much interaction with it and safety drilling that they have no desire to even pick up a firearm unless it is at the range. They have no mystery to them. They know what destructive power the weapons have. My brother-in-law keeps his guns locked up in a gun safe but I seriously doubt that the kids (along with mine by the way) would even pick up a firearm without their parents present.

THE ONLY WAY TO GUN PROOF A CHILD is to educate and include the child in the use of firearms. The greatest danger for a child and firearms is curiosity. A child that is around firearms the firearms are part of their normal world. Will not be the child trying to pick the lock on dads nighstand safe or digging around under the bed for the shotgun,

By age 5 my son was quite able to chew out adults for mishandling firearms and he did at more then one gun show. He had been shooting for a year already and knew all the rules of safe gun handling. In all the time he was living at home (almost 19 years) I never once worried about him at home with firearms. Cause if he wanted to shoot all he had to to was ask and he knew he could. I worried about his friends in high school but i knew that them being locked up would be sufficient. Since he would never go along with any thing they cooked up.
Here is a little fact for you. Many of the kids involved in shootings in the past ten years WERE educated about firearms. Trying to pretend it is only the ignorant children that make mistakes is foolish. Another fact is that in the two separate studies I saw where parents who said their kids were educated about firearms and knew what to do around them failed hidden camera tests when put in a situation where a gun was introduced around them and other children. If you you think education is a substitute for properly securing a firearm you are wrong. The parents afterwards always expressed their "shock" at the fact their seven year old wasn't able to perform as they expected. If a person is shocked by a kid acting like a kid then that person is a moron.

Marysville tragedy will do gun control lobby no good

The death of any child is a tragedy, and over the weekend a 7-year-old girl was killed accidentally when she was accidentally shot by her brother after they found a loaded handgun in the glove box of the van they were in while their parents were in a nearby business.

<broken link removed>

Here is a little fact for you. Many of the kids involved in shootings in the past ten years WERE educated about firearms. Trying to pretend it is only the ignorant children that make mistakes is foolish. Another fact is that in the two separate studies I saw where parents who said their kids were educated about firearms and knew what to do around them failed hidden camera tests when put in a situation where a gun was introduced around them and other children. If you you think education is a substitute for properly securing a firearm you are wrong. The parents afterwards always expressed their "shock" at the fact their seven year old wasn't able to perform as they expected. If a person is shocked by a kid acting like a kid then that person is a moron.

Do you have a link to this? I just wonder how educated they were, like if they had the 4 rules drilled into their memory and could safely clear a firearm? Or was the extent of their education "guns are dangerous, don't touch them. Now go back to your violent video game."

I wouls question HOW the children in this study you sight were educated. In on type of education you teach the child not to touch if you see a gun go get an adult etc. In the other the type I would suggest the child is taught how to use the firearm how to care for the firearm what the real world uses of firearms is.

On day about 22 years ago friend of mine and I took our two boys mine aged four his (a newly aquired step son) 7 years old. Out to a clear cut above Silverton. We picked out a safe place to shoot. We took a 1 gallon milk jug and placed it on a stump. We then talked to the boys about how people are made like a cake. All kinds of ingredients are mixed together with water and when its baked it becomes hard. We then told them that this mixture is almost all water. We then explained how milk is almost all water. Just not with the other stuff to make it hard. The boys seamed to used stand the basics of what we were saying. Close enough anyway for the up coming demonstration.

First up we had them shoot at the water jug with their toy guns one was a cap gun one was the type that throws little disks. After they had hit the milk jug (from about 7-8 feet away) a few times we walked up and looked at the Milk jug. We really made a big deal out of trying to find any damage to the milk jug. We all then agreed that a Toy can can't hurt a milk jug and since we had earlier determined that the milk jug was a good stand in for a person. We all decided that this showed us a toy gun wouldn't hurt a person.

Next we got back about 10-12 feet and let the boys have at the Milk jug with a Red Ryder BB gun. Each of the boys managed to poke a couple tiny holes in the plastic and the milk was draining out. So we again walked up and looked at the results of the test. And we all agreed that the BB gun was dangerous and that if it could poke holes in the milk jug and the milk would run out. If you shot a person with the BB gun it would poke a hole and not milk but BLOOD would run out. Well both boys knew what bleeding was. SO it was agreed that you would NEVER shoot a BB gun at another person.

At this point I swapped a new jug of milk for the one with the holes in it. As we walked back to the 10-12' firing line I positioned the boys right on the line about 4 feet on either side of my friend. As soon as the boys were in position he drew his 629 Smith& Wesson and fired a 240gr HP into the center of the jug. Both boys were at the same level as the muzzle so they got a full shock wave. The Jug of milk as would be expected exploded. The milk disappearing the jug blow to sheds. Both boys ducked from the muzzle blast. Both boys eyes were about the size of hub caps. (no hearing protection was used).

Wedemonstrationdemostration to be SHOCKING and to leave a lasting impression on the boys. We walked up and picked up the pieces of the milk jug and sat and discussed how this was so much different then the toy gun or the BB gun. And that this was what a REAL GUN did to a person if they were shot with it. Both boys were very engaged in the whole demo. And the results was clear to them a REAL GUN is not a Toy.

We then set up some paper targets and had the boys shoot off a little shooting bench I had made up for them. Shooting the single shot .22's we constantly drilled into them how important safety is when handling guns.

When they got home they almost fought each other to relay the days events to their mothers. They both told the story with detail and made sure that their mothers knew how dangerous BB guns and REAL GUNS were.

The Summer my son was 5 years old he was able to shoot a couple of my smaller frame revolvers including my Bulldog Pug in .44spl (with cowboy loads) I would hold my left palm under the butt to help him support it and then extend my right arm over his elbows to prevent the pistol from raising up to hit him. After 2-3 rounds it was clear he didn't need the arm over the elbow. He just naturally allowed the pistol to raise up keeping his arms almost straight letting it settle back down and then once the pistol was resting in my palm again he could reach up and cock the hammer. On outings he would shoot it maybe 10-15 times depending on how into shooting his Chipmunk .22 he was.

Granted my experience is limited I have only raised two children. So its possible that my children do not fit the average. I never said firearms shouldn't be secured I never said anything was fool proof.

BUT I do know that never in the histroy of mankind has a Probation ever worked as intended.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top